What's your favourite headphones and why?

Easylife

My favourite headphones are the XP blue back-phones which I have used exclusively for the last few years. I had some tape over the rotary volume control to stop it accidently moving and eventually one speaker stopped working which I guessed was a broken wire due to their repeated folding away, but they were still kind of okay to use.
I did a bit of beach detecting a while back so used the ML80's, that came with the Nox, for the first time to blank out the noise of the waves. They're a bit tight on my big head and make your ears sweat. I then used them on land and they are quite different to the XP back-phones, more bassy which I don't think is any real advantage for detecting, but quite good for watching action movies on my tablet via Bluetooth. So today I thought I'd attempt to fix the back-phones, took the tape off, moved the wheel a bit and hey presto! All working again so was just a bad connection. But thinking about it that is the weak point where moisture and dirt can get in. The Nox has it's own volume control so I don't need one inline, so if it plays up then I might just remove it. I much prefer the open back type to hear what is happening around me like sneaky cattle. Though it wouldn't be the first time that I've recovered a target to look up to see a mob of inquisitive cattle stood just a few feet away. In winter the back-phones are easily worn with a cap and under a hood to keep out the wind and wet so suits me well. They also easily fit in a pocket along with the WM-08 unit. I'm quite looking forward to using them again now. :-P
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Danzigman

I have my XP DEUS WS4.. I cant say they are my favorit.. Makes my ear hurt..I can help it little be having bandana or hut on... I also have the CP6, but they are a but warm for summer...
7 january im going to have hearing aid - Small ones that compare to my Iphone via bluetooth.. Wonder how that will work out..
Guess a pair of WS5 would be the perfect pair, but cant afford them..
Oxgirl

Danzigman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm I have my XP DEUS WS4.. I cant say they are my favorit.. Makes my ear hurt..I can help it little be having bandana or hut on... I also have the CP6, but they are a but warm for summer...
7 january im going to have hearing aid - Small ones that compare to my Iphone via bluetooth.. Wonder how that will work out..
Guess a pair of WS5 would be the perfect pair, but cant afford them..
I hope your hearing aid helps :thumbsup:

The XP WS5’s are easily my favourites. I can wear them all day and they are still really comfortable. They knock out most noise, but not too much that you don’t hear stuff around you. I recognise the sound isn’t as sharp as the WS4s (I have those too) but I like that because it’s less tiring on the ear.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

I am led to believe that the WS4's, WS5's and the XP blue back-phones all use the same speakers.
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:21 pm I am led to believe that the WS4's, WS5's and the XP blue back-phones all use the same speakers.
I’ve not heard that. I know a lot of people believe the blue ones are brilliant. I’d heard the WS4s are much brighter than the WS5s before I got a (second hand) pair and they were right. I can confirm they are much sharper :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:48 pm I’ve not heard that. I know a lot of people believe the blue ones are brilliant. I’d heard the WS4s are much brighter than the WS5s before I got a (second hand) pair and they were right. I can confirm they are much sharper :thumbsup:
Nigel told me that and it figures, the open back ones are clearer.
Doug

Being a XP man for a lot of years I like the behind the neck lightweight headphones.

The stock Equinox headphones I hated and although I can set up the module with another set of headphones I was recommended "Linkwitz' which you can get through online resources, note they do come under various other names.

"LinkWitz Bluetooth Wireless Headphone , Marathon2 Sports Bluetooth 4.1 earphone" around the £25 mark.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 151642_phixr.jpg
Fisher 1266 X

............ those that make good non-ferrous signals :D :Party:
Bors

In Colder times detecting My favorite H/phones are the "Black Widows" made by American company DetectorPro . They have fantastic Noise cancelling ability ,although they are not your modern-day noise cancelling headphones. But they will knock out probably 90% of surrounding outside noise when on your head. They have the added ability to keep your ears warm too when used in the colder type weather. They can however get a bit sweaty if used in " Hot weather " due to their close contact to the head as over the ears headphones do get.
I`ve been using them for many years and am probably on my 3rd set .
for some fact bumf >>> " Black Widow headphones were designed to accommodate the professional detectorist with special hearing requirements and for environments with high ambient noise levels. Large extended muffs are designed to block ambient noise to a higher degree for huntsites in proximity to urban traffic and surf roar. The Black Widow contains a dual mini-toggle switching system like our famous Gray Ghost Ultimate. One switch provides greater compatibility with detector audio systems and the other switch allows signal limitation when extreme volume is not required. Also provided are two independent volume controls for those detectorists with unequal hearing ability in each ear. "
Stats>>.
Technical Specifications:

Dual rotary volume control with “stay put” segmented “click” positioning.
Selector switch for metal detector compatibility with all single-output metal detectors without adapters.
Heavy-duty muff-to-muff connection cable.
Heavy-duty strain relieved coil cable with special 1/4″, 90 degree angle stereo connector.
Compact carry and storage foldable design.
Heavy-duty polymer muffs with full-ear surround, soft comfortable cushions.
Adjustable padded headband… no screws, no wire frame, no rust!
Speakers designed for maximum volume, sensitivity, efficiency, durability, and signal quality.
Special ultra sound-blocking extended muff design eliminating environmental ambient noise up to 29 decibels.
Impedance: 150 ohms nominal.
Attachments
BlackWidRSP2.jpg
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Marley

Been a fair few years since I used wired headphones , last ones I had were bj ones, just some guy making them and knocking them out . Very good .
Before that it was the predator ones , used these for years on various machines , again very good .
Gordon heritage makes the gog phones that are supposedly exceptional, but to be truthful I couldn’t go back to being tethered
Bors

If your "old school" I don`t think it really does matter that much. Of course Wireless have their advantages as I have a set on my Anfibio, but It doesn`t bother me which type I use .Its probably whatever comes to hand first .But the Quality & tones on my Black widows is far superior to the Makro/Nokta headphones .
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
tone

xp backphones in winter.Earbud's when it start's to get warmer. Used through the nox module.
Easylife

Doug wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm Being a XP man for a lot of years I like the behind the neck lightweight headphones.

The stock Equinox headphones I hated and although I can set up the module with another set of headphones I was recommended "Linkwitz' which you can get through online resources, note they do come under various other names.

"LinkWitz Bluetooth Wireless Headphone , Marathon2 Sports Bluetooth 4.1 earphone" around the £25 mark.
My maybe 4 year old XP backphones have had some quite heavy use and there is a break in the wire which I'll fix sometime. But just ordered some Marathon2's for £20 delivered so will see how they go?
Doug

Easylife wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:13 am My maybe 4 year old XP backphones have had some quite heavy use and there is a break in the wire which I'll fix sometime. But just ordered some Marathon2's for £20 delivered so will see how they go?
The weak point for the back phones for me was the pin dropping out in the middle joint, I taped a thin piece of wire over the joint get around this which kinda defeated the principal of the folding of the headphones after use?
Easylife

Doug wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:11 am
The weak point for the back phones for me was the pin dropping out in the middle joint, I taped a thin piece of wire over the joint get around this which kinda defeated the principal of the folding of the headphones after use?
Maybe a small drop of glue either end would fix them?
I'm quite sure that my break in the wire is where it is pulled tight over the middle joint when folded.