Nice trip to the beach yesterday.

Jamesey1981

Took a trip to one of my favourite local beaches to do a bit of wet sand with the nox yesterday afternoon, when I got there I immediately changed my plans as the sand and shingle was cut out in huge chunks further up the beach, exposing areas I have never seen exposed before.

First target was an old pound coin which is always a good sign, had a pretty good day, few quid in modern coins and four bits of jewellery, as well as some world war 2 20mm cannon shell drive bands, I like finding these as they're impossible to miss, so I know I'm on a bit that hasn't been hit.

Jewellery wise, found two pendants, one is costume and the other looked like gold, it came out of the sand that shiny, but a density test says it's brass (boooo), but I did find a silver earring and a cute little elephant charm that looks like pewter.

All in all it was a fun day and I'll be heading back for another look next week.
Attachments
PB260001.jpg
PB260003.jpg
PB260004.jpg
PB260005.jpg
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Blackadder43

Looks like a good outing fella.... :thumbsup:
Its great to have local knowledge of a beach and be able to notice when sand gets shifted, opens great opportunities :clapping:
Oxgirl

Great set of finds ! Glad someone is getting to a beach :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Jamesey1981

It was cut out so deep that I would have spotted that on my first visit to be fair, you could see the layers of sand and shingle in the bits where it was cut away, will have taken out about five feet of depth in places.
Amazing really, it hasn't been all that stormy, must have just been a fluke that all the conditions were right to wash it all out.

Have to say I'm impressed with the nox on the beach, I knew they were good but one of those old pound coins was 16 inches down in the hard pack in a hole that was filling with water, was a quiet signal but it was perfectly clear and the numbers were steady and the depth didn't affect the ID.

figgis

All this puzzling talk of "cuts" serves as a reminder that I know nothing about beach detecting and that maybe I'm missing out on something because you've certainly had a result there, chap :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

figgis wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:58 pm All this puzzling talk of "cuts" serves as a reminder that I know nothing about beach detecting and that maybe I'm missing out on something because you've certainly had a result there, chap :thumbsup:
Trust me, you'd know it if you saw it. :thumbsup:

Ladybird66

Well done that man. Can’t beat it whatever the finds.

I remember when I first started detecting I was very shy at the thought of ‘doing it ‘ in front of people. Then a friend suggested a little known cove that was usually quiet. I’d been there before with the dogs so thought, ideal, I’ll give it a go. Beautiful little cove, all sand and very few people.
What did I find ? Nothing, zero. I did have loads of iron signals but on digging still found nothing. I went a few times but always the same.
Quite some time after I went with the dogs. I couldn’t believe what I was looking at. It was like a different beach. Huge iron things sticking up out of the sand, reinforced concrete blocks here there and everywhere. Now I know I’m 5ft but when I walked up to some of the things they were as tall as me.
Now that was a real exhibition of what the wind and tide can do. All that sand ! Just gone ! Where to ? I have no idea. But when I went back a couple of days later with my detector it was all back. After asking around I was told they were all part of the WW 2 coastal defences.

Best of luck at the week end. I hope the cuttings are still there. :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

I still find the power of the sea amazing, my local marina always has to shut the arms to fishing every spring, to repair the huge chunks of reinforced concrete that have been smashed out of the walls, chunks the size of transit vans, just smashed out by the power of the water.

The RNLI had a little installation on the seafront for a while, just to try and explain the need to respect the sea.

It was an acrylic tank filled with water, exactly 1 metre cubed, the sign on it said, 'This is 1 cubic metre of water, there are thousands of these in every wave, try and move it.'

Easylife

Just got to respect the the power of nature!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.