Saxon Santa in the bog

figgis

And I'm not talking about Chubby Gristlethwaite's dereliction of Santa duty at last year's Round Table Xmas thrash when he abandoned the little kiddies in favour of a brief but messy assignation in the portaloo with one of the elves. They really should have taken the centre of gravity of the thing into account but I suppose physics is the last thing on one's mind when engaged in the throes of biology. Took ages to hose them down, but I digress...

What ho,

Despite the heavy recent precipitation turning meadow into water meadow, a six-week enforced layoff was ended today. Yes, it was wet and, to begin with, very cold, but the sight of one of the biggest fallow deer does I've ever seen was the perfect start and all discomfort was momentarily forgotten.

But it all came flooding back when the wellies were caked in clay and weighed 4lbs apiece and the spade was encased in a foot-wide mud ball, mind. Still, it was great to be out again :thumbsup:

Had some decent finds, too, though it took forever to separate them from the clinging mud. Had a few Roman coins and a really interesting silver find, but the star of the show was this Saxon brooch foot which I believe is from a cruciform brooch, though of a design I've not seen before. It took a good few minutes to extricate it from the boggy hole that kept filling up but it was time and discomfort well spent. Without having looked too deeply into it, I'm presuming it's a horse head as usual but it looks for all the world like that fat bloke who delivers the special gin each Yuletide :D
20201206_161852.jpg
I'll post up the silver find another time, and I'll finish by saying what a pleasure it was to be out there once again. Despite the awkward conditions it was a perfect winter's day and the whole experience was a perfect reminder of why we do what we do.

Pip pip :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Lovely find. Anything Saxon is, in my books, worthy of a big grin. Love it.

Still giggling over Santa and the portaloo too :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Kenleyboy

Have to agree figgis , what an incredible winters day to be out and about enjoying what we do . You faired much better than I , great saxon find . :thumbsup:
figgis

Thanks, both :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to researching it a bit more - I'm sure it should be a horse head but I'm far from convinced it actually is as yet.
Blackadder43

Nice to see people getting out again, and that field is teasing you sir figgis
I sense good things in the future :thumbsup:
figgis

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:17 pm I sense good things in the future :thumbsup:
Lord knows, this field's given me so many good things in the past it'd be greedy to ask for more in the future :lol:

But it just continues to give
Saki

Great to be out. And a nice unusual find. :thumbsup:
Ladybird66

If it is classed as a horses head, it’s the strangest looking horse I’ve ever seen.
I’m with you on this one John. It might not be Santa but it’s def. a mans head.
Great find. I’d be very proud if it were mine. :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

What a great opening paragraph, John. :lol:
Congrats on the Saxon, although to me for some unknown reason has a Nordic look.
Bearing in mind once i get past Roman, i know nothing until the Georgians arrive.
Anyway a great find and look forward to seeing the other runs from the innings.
Cheers, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dave.
wittsy1

Saxon, I can only dream of Saxon finds, no Saxons in Pembrokeshire alas. Thanks for showing and well done to you :clapping:
figgis

Many thanks :thumbsup: It is unusual and I will be researching it closely, but not tonight - been out in freezing fog all day and now that I'm warm for the first time since getting out of me pit, I can scarce keep me peepers open :lol: