Hoard found

Oxgirl

Did you all see this last week? I’m sure there was a post on it but maybe I imagined it :Thinking:

Roman coin hoard donated to a local museum - lovely to see such a nice gesture :angel:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-55213688
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
wittsy1

Great find and a great gesture :clapping:
Saffron

Well done to them for doing this.
Although the reported £2,500 fee split between the 5 would not have been "life changing" to them that would be a significant sum to a local museum, and its great to see that the coins can now be displayed for the public to see.

Evan
Oxgirl

I was talking to one of the finders of this hoard today and it was really refreshing to talk to someone who did everything right. Lovely to see and hear a great story for the hobby :thumbsup:

I’m also guess donating items we love and want to keep (or are very valuable) must be hard. I’ve never been lucky enough to find a hoard and whilst donating Roman coins wouldn’t be a wrench for me the sceats would have been! Similarly if it was a hoard of medieval coins I’d be desperate to get them back (if disclaimed) but hope I’d be able to bring myself to donate them as I know the thrill of seeing them being admired by others would be wonderful :D Hats off to them for doing it :clapping:
Marley

Would of been £500 each and no doubt the museum will still charge the lads entry .
Should of took the money
MarkWeaver

Hi Guys, i'm the chap that OxGirl was referring too, a bit more information for you on the reason why we donated the hoard. Our small club of six, always felt that the bits and bobs we are sometimes fortunate to find in the first instance are the property of the Landowners and as such not really ours. I appreciate that in the case of the hoard we would have been judged to own half of the value of the hoard but each of us never started metal detecting for financial gain, not one of us has ever sold anything we have found.

Some of the Landowners of the permissions we detect on like to know what we find but are happy for us to keep the items, some like to see the finds and keep some of them as history of their land. In the instance of the hoard, the Landowners wanted to donate their share and we wanted to help the local museum so they could be displayed for others to see and hopefully learn from.

Had we have taken our half, we would have been been sharing £1250 between six of us, or £200 each, not life-changing and as we always say, we just like digging up old stuff. That's our motivation, we all like history and the buzz of finding something old and hopefully significant!

:thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Great find mark, great story and brilliant outcome
Well done to you and your group :thumbsup:

Its good to hear of these times when things have been done properly to show detecting in a good light :clapping:
Saffron

Blackadder43 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:33 pm Great find mark, great story and brilliant outcome
Well done to you and your group :thumbsup:

Its good to hear of these times when things have been done properly to show detecting in a good light :clapping:
+1

Evan
Oxgirl

I’d like to see more of your club’s finds too Mark pretty please :D
shaggybfc

Good man, (men), well done. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Marley

Many years ago a landowner of a large estate in Cambridge said something to me when I offered him the finds from a search I did, he said ..
You found them you keep them , just because someone many years ago lost them on what is now my land dosnt mean I own them , nobody owns them until they are found again .
If you lost your wedding ring in my garden, it’s not now my wedding ring
MarkWeaver

Nice words and a good explanation, Marley. Not all Landowners have that attitude though unfortunately. :thumbsup:
Marley

If you and your mates are happy, all is good matey :thumbsup:
Easylife

I think that I would have done the same in the circumstances Mark. :thumbsup:
But just a thought about who owns finds!
If say you found a £20 note in a shop doorway where the loser could not be traced then does it belong to the shop or you? Is that so different?
All my landowners have the view that I found what they were completely unaware of even existed so it is mine, unless worth thousands of course then a 50/50 split. I have a great relationship with all based on honesty and inform them of all relevant finds and to date none have been interested in the monetary side of it, nor have I ever sold any finds, apart from museums buying treasure items.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Marley

I was done over by the treasure committee many years ago, 154 silver denari.
I wouldn’t embarrass myself by saying what I was awarded, but if I knew beforehand i would of rather given them away .
They will never hear from me again .
Can’t remember if it was here or a different forum when I told of long time lending a museum my Saxon sword and 2 shield boss’s , they got back saying they already had one, but if I’d like to donate them they might display them sometime in the future .

Erm, no... I’ll just hang onto them then