Contaminated Green Waste

MarkWeaver

I made contact with the Landowner of a permission after five years to see if he was OK for us to return to detect on his land. I met with him yesterday and we chatted over which fields we could detect on currently. He explained that they had another metal detecting club on the land recently but they had a falling-out over the contamination of 'fertiliser/manure' that they had been supplied and spread on some of the arable fields. The farmer explained that they had no idea of this and that they wouldn't have had the Club not told them - some of the contamination included syringe needles. We will be detecting on these fields next week so see how bad the situation, with extreme caution as the farmer wanted to know how bad it is.

I have come across this once before in a similar area of Essex, sadly it was our largest permission and was hugely disappointing as it rendered the land impossible to detect. I was wondering what the legislation says about what is permitted, I would think that bio-degradable, non-hazardous waste; but do small metal deposits fall into this category?

https://archmdmag.com/green-waste-waste-not-wanted/
Jamesey1981

Syringes would certainly not be permitted in it, and I think the farmer would have cause to take legal action against the supplier if the compost he had purchased contains biohazard waste, but the reality is, he would have to be able to prove to the satisfaction of the court where it came from, this would probably be difficult, if not impossible.

This is half the problem with it, the council will blame the contractor, the contractor will blame the council, and the farmer is left stuck with biohazard waste on their field that they may not be able to mention to any authorities in case anything they grow on it gets ruled unfit for human consumption.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Oxgirl

It’s a big issue in both the ‘legal’ industry. There us also a very shady black market where criminal gangs will pay landowners thousands of pounds to bury heavily contaminated waste with significant/ illegal biohazards including asbestos, heavy metals and chemicals.

There are standards for the industry and the farmer can ask the Environment agency to investigate and prosecute. Many supermarkets are now asking farmers for soil association accreditation and, without it, they won’t accept any produce grown on that land. The main concern is heavy metals and chemicals as even things liked pulped MDF is full of them.

I have just one farm with that issue and it’s full of foil backed MDF and flat pack furniture fittings. It’s areal shame as the farm had incredible finds found on it before this happened (not by me I hasten to add). It’s so bad I knew it had contaminated green waste on it just by looking - you can see the plastic :thumbdown:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
the-roman

Green waste is the absolute pits, :thumbdown: whoever invented it needs to be strung up by the rollocks. It has ruined several good fields of ours even though we have spent time removing as much as possible. syringes are common along with ikea crap, silver paper, mulched up cans, modern coins, you name it and it seems to be in there. worst thing ever for detecting and it can't be good for the fields either. it is becomming more common to see this stuff on rallies too. once it gets ploughed into the ground you end up finding the stuff for years :twisted: :twisted: :thumbdown:
MarkWeaver

Thanks for your feedback guys, I think I will have a go on the fields and see if what the Landowner said is accurate according to the report by the other detectorists, I’ll let you know how we get on!
Blackadder43

MarkWeaver wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:18 pm Thanks for your feedback guys, I think I will have a go on the fields and see if what the Landowner said is accurate according to the report by the other detectorists, I’ll let you know how we get on!
I recently had the chance of detecting a small farm that was contaminated with green waste, it was half a mile from the rubbish tip, and from what i gathered from the farmer he was almost forced to take this stuff for his land

Anyways
My standard coil on the nox800 was just constantly sounding off and was very draining on the ears and brain
I could have dialed everything back some, but then whats the point
Anyways, i switched over to the 6" coil, and boy did that make a difference
Yes the greenwaste is still there, but the coils footprint is so much smaller and doesnt drag in loads of green waste signals as you swing
I found it to be quieter and the signals were more identifiable in amongst the noise

The downside is you cant cover much ground with it, and when you are 17 stone and holding a stick with what looks like a big coat button on it, its a bit embarrassing :lol:

I managed 2 lizzie hammered coins and a cut half whilst i was there, short lived though as it was re-seeded, then the world decided to shut down :thumbdown:
MarkWeaver

I might try my 9” coil on it it and increase the reactivity on my Deus. I did manage to find a crotal bell amongst it and the contaminated metals in the field I tried for 45mins did read and sound different once I got a bit more tuned in to it.
Steve RC

The NCMD has investigated the contaminated green waste issue so it is worth getting in touch with them for updates and information.
Oxgirl

MarkWeaver wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:33 pm I might try my 9” coil on it it and increase the reactivity on my Deus. I did manage to find a crotal bell amongst it and the contaminated metals in the field I tried for 45mins did read and sound different once I got a bit more tuned in to it.
Yes you can find good things if you set it up right. Managed a round quarter in amongst it with the elliptical coil but it was really hard going and you need to be in the right frame of mind.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

There are set limits now on how much metal is allowed to be in recycled garden waste etc, but years ago there was not unfortunately, still some cowboys about though.
Over three neighbouring permissions of mine about 150 acres is contaminated with metallic green waste. It ranges from flat pack fittings to mostly chunks of aluminium all of which give clear signals so there's just no way to tell them apart from desirable targets. On pasture most are near surface but some are 6" deep so likely from a much older batch. I don't go on those areas anymore but used to avoid most shallow targets that the pinpointer could get from the surface. It's a great shame as I've had some great finds on the uncontaminated land inbetween. The 50 acre arable field next door is even worse as there is all sorts of metallic and non-metallic crap ploughed into it, though has produced some Roman. On all of the contaminated fields I find towards the edges are much clearer. There will certainly be some great finds there for those who can endure it, but it does my head in and spoils my day so I'd rather be anywhere else. But just a little GW is no problem at all, though no doubt it varies in type. You do need to check things out for yourself though rather than just accepting hearsay. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.