Why do we do it?

figgis

I mean, when you think about the number of "perfect" weather days we get to detect in, it's is pitifully small. Too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, high winds etc etc., and when it comes to arable, many of us only have a short window to cram in what detecting we can. And of course the weather is only one factor which can nors up our detecting (particularly this year!), but we do it anyway. Take yesterday, for example: given last weekend's mud bath, yet more rain wasn't going to improve the situation any and the sight of the Waveney still way over its banks on the journey there didn't exactly fill me with comfort. But, as per usual, the prospect of a day's wafting overcame any feelings of dread and I ignored it.

On arrival, the puddles on the field confirmed my expectations - on the high clay-content field this was going to get ugly. Yes, I had the option of low-grassed meadow bit I knew the goodies were on this particular field so braced meself and set off. Twenty seconds later...
boots.jpg
Really? It was relentless throughout the session, with the clag building up on me wellies with astonishing speed. Mind you, the old quads got a good workout when shaking off the worst of the muck, but I felt like the chap with his finger in the dam. And after every single target...
spade.jpg
Seriously? Even scraping the worst of it off, the spade weighed twice its usual mass and had to be heaved onto the shoulder with both hands and the aid of any passing dog walker. And if I put the pinpointer or trowel onto the ground for a second I completely lost sight of them.

But was it worth it? You betcha.
good bits.jpg
Clockwise, from top left: Roman intaglio ring fragment, an as yet unidentified possible brooch fragment with a bit of enamelling remaining, a Roman/Saxon pin fragment and an ancient bronze wossname I forgot to edit out of the image. Ok, nothing world-changing, but it's these sorts of finds which have me going back for more, regardless.

This is the only hobby I can think of where the expectation of what could be invariably outweighs the reality of what is likely to be, and yet we do it anyway.

Wouldn't have it any other way :D :thumbsup:
Marley

Not a chance I’d be detecting arable, pasture and grassland only for me this time of year .
Well done for putting up with that !
figgis

Marley wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:01 pm Not a chance I’d be detecting arable, pasture and grassland only for me this time of year .
Believe me, there were times when I desperately wished I'd made that choice too :lol:
Marley

I remember watching a video where a lad put rugby socks over the top of his wellies, the mud didn’t stick :thumbsup:
figgis

Bet he copped an unfortunate one off his mum when he stuck em in the wash :D
Bors

The Question has to be, did you get the goodies, & was it seriously worth the hassle of going through it all ,for the finds results? :D
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Doug

Well worth the mud and the water when out 'pops' a 22K wedding ring?
Attachments
IMGP7746jpeg_phixr.jpg
figgis

Bors wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:20 pm The Question has to be, did you get the goodies, & was it seriously worth the hassle of going through it all ,for the finds results? :D
Yes and yes :thumbsup: :lol:
Doug wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:27 pm Well worth the mud and the water when out 'pops' a 22K wedding ring?
Strange. I don't remember that. But then it was a navy strength gin breakfast... :Thinking:

Oh, I see! You found that? Oh, thank god. I thought I was due another visit to the clinic for a moment there. Cracking find :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Oh my, you needed Jenkins just to lift each leg and muddy boot onto the next step forward
Bet his back hurts now

Fair play though, i just walked the dogs and had to change clothes when i got back
Looked like a very large drowned rat :lol:
Dave The Slave

Well done on persevering John.
Weather wise, few more months yet for decent days.
Looks like i am in for plenty of scraping of the boots on spade tomorrow.
What about your gloves. Mine get that bad have a poly bag wrapped around the handle of the ol` 400i.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Socks on the outside of wellies is supposed to be very very good as a mud deterrent but, like you, I worry about the washing situation, especially as it’s me doing it :D

I avoid the clay soil fields at this time of year wether arable or pasture but the lure of a productive field might over ride that. I’ve only been out for 2 hours this week despite thinking about it on a few other occasions. The rain, wind and cold have made me lazy. Glad you had a go though and unearthed finds that made it worthwhile :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Mucky

I seem to remember a spray you could put on your wellies to alleviate the mud problem. It worked on spades too.
I avoid anything that could contaminate soil like WD40 as I have heard suggested.
Think this stuff was cleared for all that stuff.
Wish I could remember the product! ?
Easylife

Mucky wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:51 pm I seem to remember a spray you could put on your wellies to alleviate the mud problem.
Was it called "Stay at home"? :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

I don't know if there's a proper spray, but silicone car interior spray (the kind dealers use to cover up small scratches) works very well, just don't get it on the soles if you like being upright and need to walk on any concrete or tarmac.

Fine in fields as it it contains the same stuff as certain "intimate" lubricants so it's non toxic....
You could probably also use those but they don't come in a convenient spray bottle.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Easylife

Even the sodden pasture has been getting a little messy of late, but I just won't entertain sticky fields (...that sounds like such a cruel nickname, especially for a girl!). If the weather is not ideal then we can all dress accordingly but for each to make the call whether to venture out. I don't mind hot, cold or wet even, just anything but a great build up of heavy clay on your boots every 30 seconds! So hats off to ya Figgis! :thumbsup:
Why we do it? It gets us out into the peaceful countryside, a bit of exercise, and the chance of finding summat of vague interest if we're lucky! 🤪
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.