Fossil find ?

Kenleyboy

With the weather playing havoc these past few days I finally got to get the Dogs out for their afternoon walk and it is with these opportunities that give me a chance to scan the borders of the fields we walk . I have yet to find anything that looks like a flint scraper or a wished for flint arrow head although I have been told they are there . Trouble is we only have access to the borders and there is no field walking allowed even when the crop has come off so it is all very limiting . That isnt a bad thing in some respects because it does narrow it down and keeps your concentration only to the accessible spots . I have had a number of fossil finds from here over the last five years or so and I have learnt that no matter how much you think you have eye scanned a particular stretch of field it will always throw up a surprise despite numerous edge walks on a regular basis in the same areas .
To be fair though part of the reason why I may miss some things is having the dogs to contend with especially when they are flushing out the Pheasants and Partridges that are cooped up in the long grass along the hedge line , so my concentration is often broken while tending to a pair of excitable Whippets .
Today was one of those days , how many times I have walked this particular edge of the field is lost over time but it is a regular area I freguent on an almost daily basis . The fields here are literally strewn with flint and all manner of pebbles and rocks and every now and again one stands out amongst the many thousands and stops me in my tracks .I have been fossil spotting on every dog walk over the last five years , thats a lot of hours and maybe I am now "tuned " into being able to pick out slight deviations in a rock etc that grabs my attention and warrants further investigation . Some prove to be just a random rock and some end up being rather more interesting like this one I found this late cold afternoon just as the light was fading , how on earth I spotted this I do not know but what appears to be a small ridged deformity on the upper edge of the rock which caught my eye . Upon further inspection it looks very much like a tentacle and is curled around until lost in the grasp of the rocky casing .
20201213_155234_resized_1[1866].jpg
Blackadder43

Even when we walk our dogs we have eyes to the ground :clapping:

No idea on your fossil fella, but i too would love an arrow head or something like that :thumbsup:

2 whippets flushing birds out...thats a sight to behold i expect
Lovely dogs too, but always look like they could do with a good meal to me :lol:
Easylife

Sorry, but I am only seeing Homer Simpson in the centre looking right, with a large otter curled around him!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Love scanning the ground whilst walking the dogs too :D

I think that has a feel of being a fossilised crustacean of some time. Well spotted :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Probably an echinoid of sorts.... you quite often find them like this - with most of it being hacked away and only a bit of the original "surface remaining.... these two have seen better days; the bottom one may illustrate what I mean! Hope all well.
Attachments
IMG_3910.jpg
Kenleyboy

Easylife wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:11 am Sorry, but I am only seeing Homer Simpson in the centre looking right, with a large otter curled around him!
:lol: