What's left on the horse field?

Easylife

I have a 5 acre horse field permission which I previously heavily detected a few years ago with a White's DFX and then a Deus. It's divided into five separate paddocks so makes it easier to relate to certain areas. I only random wandered and gridded it by sight, but went over most areas multiple times. The finds were frequent and varied enough to keep the interest until it eventually became extremely quiet so I then just considered it pretty much being just a testing ground for any new detectors as new permissions had beckoned.
There were the usual finds of buttons, lead weights, lead tokens, thimbles, pre-decimal coppers as well as a few modern coins, 2 or 3 crotall bells, some buckles and the odd barrel tap key etc. The usual scrap lead and copper, but also a James I hammered, a couple of George I, some George III shilling forgeries, a silver teaspoon circa 1800, a unique token which the British Museum requested to see, a silver 1851 US 3 cents, and a small Georgian gold fob ring - so a fair mix and and it was really quite fun to hunt!
IMG_20201214_190654.jpg
IMG_20201214_192123.jpg
But maybe it has yet more potential?
I've previously spent a lot of time on this field in the past so got to know it quite well from target responses and where previous finds were. The soil is quite shallow really and no deeper than about a foot at best to the impeneterable dense clay layer, of which horse-shoes and even hammer-heads just lay completely flat upon. The oldest coins all came from a small area which perhaps once had some form of basic dwelling or shelter on it. There is a notable presence of small iron on the first half of the field but is virtually silent on the rest so perhaps it was once divided that way? It has evidence of straight shallow furrows from steam ploughing and also the coke to prove it! The DFX never saw any coke, the Deus just loved it unfortunately, and on the Nox coke it only registers 1 so not an issue.
Of my permissions this one has since been the least attractive, but due to current circumstsances it is now literally right on my doorstep! I always knew that it would still have a few more targets to give up though most likely small and quite iffy deep so I decided to give it a bit of a going over using the Nox 800 and 15" coil out of interest. I've probably not been back on here for 2 years and have no great expectations apart from finding just the very occasional target. The 15" coil has lived on my Nox for 2 years now and I use it with a home made bungee which not only compensates for the extra weight but also conveniently suspends it whilst digging etc, so there's never any need to lay it on the ground where horses or cattle could tread on it. My standard settings are Field 1, Multi frequency, All-metal, Full-tones, Sensitivity at max 25, Response 4, Iron bias 0, Iron vol 1. The 15" coil kind of goes against the grain as it covers the ground well but is also very sensitive to small targets.
Again I randomly wandered at first then started vague gridding areas and was surprised at the amount of targets that were showing. The grass varies from very short to quite long depending upon paddock.
IMG_20201214_194120.jpg
IMG_20201214_194235.jpg

So what did I find?
It started off well as on a bonfire patch of iron and many blobs of melted aluminium my very first dug target was a watch winder to my pleasant surprise. But going low and reasonably slow moving about the paddocks more finds steadily followed. Most targets were 6 - 8" deep, though really scrutinizing the iffy's produced a few extra. Here's the more interesting bits from a few 2hr searches with the Nox. A lead powder flask cap and a copper/alloy vessel leg with a different design to my others.
IMG_20201213_163605.jpg
IMG_20201213_163703.jpg
Contd....
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

A chunky 20mm livery button depicting a lion's head erased, unusual in having extra design around the edge. A 16mm button of the 3rd Dragoon Guards Prince of Wales Regiment. A 16mm livery button depicting a ram. Five farthings. A 19mm lead token of the four petal flower type.
IMG_20201213_163941.jpg
Also an 'Old Believer' on-body Cross of the female type. That was quite interesting to research.
https://russianicons.wordpress.com/tag/ ... criptions/
IMG_20201213_163853.jpg
IMG_20201213_163801.jpg
The other bits.
IMG_20201213_164033.jpg
And the scrap.
IMG_20201213_164132.jpg
Oops, I just found a silver plated cufflink in the scrap! :oops:
IMG_20201213_164511.jpg
So there's clearly still stuff waiting to be found here. I really wasn't expecting so many targets. It's renewed my interest in it again so will search it some more. With the previous gold fob ring reading just 1 on the Nox I wonder if some of the other very low numbers could also be keepers? It will be interesting to see what the next few searches produce?
Till next time...
Blackadder43

Oh wow fella, is that where you are staying now?
You have been a busy hector

There is a video somewhere on youtube where an american chap did some experiments with different weight, and size gold on the nox
The interesting bit was with a broken small ring...it really was down in the 1's if i remember correctly..
I'll see if i can find it again

Here it is fella
Around 4 mins in shows the broken ring registering 1 on the nox
Oxgirl

Wow for a well hunted field you’ve done well :thumbsup: And gold to boot too :Star:

I guess unless we grid a field and do it properly at least two ways we’ll miss loads but still that many finds suggest you’ve got a great set up for that field. Good job!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saki

That's still plenty of stuff. Very nice. I do like the "old believer" :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Large amount of finds there, Easy.
You don`t always need 100`s of acres, just places where activity has taken place and then being able to find it, as you have done.
No doubt more to come.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

Well done easylife , some great finds and a great write up too . :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

Nice collection, considering the different machines you have used it shows there's advantages with the experience gained over time and confidence in the machines you use, great story to it also :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But with all that in mind you have to be over it to find it, I bet there's more there yet :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Easylife

Steve_JT wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:06 pm Nice collection, considering the different machines you have used it shows there's advantages with the experience gained over time and confidence in the machines you use, great story to it also :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But with all that in mind you have to be over it to find it, I bet there's more there yet :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
Well that was from doing a bit in all paddocks but I'm going to go over them all again separately, I've just finished one so will add finds when each is completed. I don't expect as many targets to be remaining on the rest of it but we shall see.