Hammered it !

Kenleyboy

Managed to swing it once again and get back out on the fields for what really is the last session this year with the loaned Deus Lite . The weather was remarkably different , a huge contrast to the other day with lead grey skies , today the sun shone , skies were blue with a smattering of cloud cover . Once again I had about three hours at my disposal and little did I know that this short and last session was going to be the most fruitful of them all .

We all know with the current state of things that our hobby has been disrupted so my usual visits have been scant and short affairs but under the circumstances they all have been enjoyed immensly and even more so with getting used to the Deus , so it has been an odd sort of season this year and with what time I had it proved to be a huge learning curve of which I have learnt so much in such a short scattered space of time .
The small coil for one thing has taught me slow down a tad and concentrate on smaller areas so despite the limitations as far as covering larger areas with a bigger coil , overall it has been a really good discipline to get used to and today proved that point .

My very first decent signal was a bottle top , now I love my bottles but there is a time and place and this was one thing I really wasnt after but what it did do was make me change course .This bit of field is notorious for such items as bottle tops and silver foil but if you stick with it then it can be quite rewarding . The trouble is I didnt really have that long to wade through all those great sounding but disappointing signals and I wanted to make the most of the short afternoon . I switched fields , normally I stick it out but today I gave in and it paid off and within a few minutes of stepping onto pastures new I had a really good strong signal and out popped this :thumbsup:
20201220_130149_resized[2055].jpg
Once again , jammy so and so and the added bonus of seriously uplifting my spirits for the rest of the day , I cared not if I was to blank for the remainder !
20201220_130355_resized[2059].jpg
With that out the way I continued but no more than ten yards away something urged me to go back to that area and scan about in the location , you just never know your luck . I did just that and where I had dropped my bag on the previous dug hole as a marker I then proceeded to work the area nice and slow . All was quiet apart form the odd grunt from the iron and then I hit a very feint almost whispy signal but it was constant so I dug down and scooped the clod of damp sandy soil out . Waving the coil over the mound the signal was far sharper and still consistent , it sounded good . It took a bit of flaffing about with the pin pointer but finally I wiped away what I thought was a tiny button only to be pleasantly surprised at a finger nail sized hammered coin . I couldnt believe this , two in such a short space of time .
Jammy so and so number two !
20201220_131953_resized[2066].jpg
With the small coil I am covering less ground but it has enabled me to scan it more thoroughly so I stayed within this area in case of another low and slow but no more other than a few odd bits of lead and a button .
Gradually I worked my way up the field , it slopes gently and is a pleasant trudge along the soft soil and along the way I had a very worn penny which may be a William and Mary , I can just about make out what looks to be two busts , no date but its still a coin . I also had another favourite find in the shape of a tiny spectacle buckle , once again in the sticky soil it was a mare to find .
Three hours soon pass by rather too quickly , the light was still good though due to the clear skies but it was time to make a move back down the slope and this is where jammy so and so number three comes in with another hammered coin , this time a slightly bent but very welcomed cut half . It seemed so ironic that my first day with the Deus and the very grateful help with the simplest of settings found me my first hammered of the season which was a very good condition Eddy penny , since that first find of the season there has been no signs of any hammered coins yet here today and my last day with the Deus I find three , it was such a nice way of finishing up this wonderful little journey .
20201220_150617_resized[2081].jpg
The tally of a few hours out in a winters sun , Thankyou Oxgirl :thumbsup:
20201220_170516_resized[2030].jpg
20201220_170549_resized[2027].jpg
Dave The Slave

Well done, Paul.
Finishing off the loan with a hat trick of hammereds.
Perhaps you should make an offer for this actual detector.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Emily

How did you get a loaner?? I could’ve done with one before I bought mine to try it out 🤷‍♀️
Live long and prospect
Oxgirl

Hurrah a triple silver day. Think what you’ll be like with another 6 months experience with the Deus :D

Really, really pleased for you Paul. Stunning coins too :Star: :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Great last day of the year fella....great set of finds too
Always a great feeling to see the glint of a silver hammered in the hole :clapping:
Slowing down and working around an area is a good plan, and it paid dividends for you today too

Careful unrolling what looks like a piece of rolled lead......could be a curse inside....had enough of that for this year i think :lol:

Looks like you had a nice day for it too, its been like the rain forest here today for me
Saki

Absolutely fantastic day. Great write up :thumbsup: Triple silver and a nice spectacle buckle
Interesting to see the "rolled" lead :Thinking:
Easylife

What a great result, a clog clasp too! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

I rather suspected that your last trip out wouldn't be your last trip out, and that you'd squeeze one more in :D

And what a great result. Nicely done, sir :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

Great result, great account. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

what a way to end a season :thumbsup:

Well found and saved

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Reiver

Great read, great finds, well found and well saved. :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

figgis wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:13 am I rather suspected that your last trip out wouldn't be your last trip out, and that you'd squeeze one more in :D

And what a great result. Nicely done, sir :thumbsup:
Couldnt help myself :thumbsup: We must catch up re bottle dig . :thumbsup:
figgis

Kenleyboy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:43 pm We must catch up re bottle dig . :thumbsup:
Ho yus :thumbsup: