Silver vervel.(hawking ring)

Doug

One summers evening in July 2013 I decided to have a few hours out in local field which is the highest field on this local farm.

This farm in the past had produced some good finds including my first treasure find, an iconographic ring.

Normal bits and pieces came up including what I thought was a Victorian child's christening ring.

Put it up on a forum for an ID and it was very quickly ID to be a hawking 'vervel' nope not me either!

Submitted the paperwork to the FLO and subsequently attend a Treasure Inquest ran by a one Micheal Rose who I had been in front of on previous treasure inquests. The normal formalities were carried out but from previous experience with him I knew he would show a keen interest in the vervel from the both the FLO and myself.

I remember two points he raised. The old English spelling on the ring and the fact 99.9% of the population at that time could not read.

The owner of the vervel lived about a half mile away in large Tudor house, now gone, and my theory was the hawk may have been chasing a pigeon downwind and somehow they ended up in the trees on the highest point around which is where I found it under the trees.

"One of the longest serving coroners in England and Wales has retired. Michael Rose, 82, has been holding inquests in West Somerset for nearly 50 years, presiding over more than 5,000 hearings. He began as deputy coroner in 1967 and became coroner in 1984.

PAS report here :.https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/569902
Attachments
IMGP8042jpeg_phixr.jpg
DSC_0002jpeg_phixr.jpg
figgis

Cor, what? A lovely find, Doug :thumbsup:
Doug wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:13 pm The owner of the vervel lived about a half mile away in large Tudor house, now gone, and my theory was the hawk may have been chasing a pigeon downwind and somehow they ended up in the trees on the highest point around which is where I found it under the trees.
Another possibility is that when hawking you always try to pitch your bird from the highest point, firstly for greater vision and secondly for height advantage. There are any number of reasons you found it there but the important thing is that you found it :D
Oxgirl

Keep forgetting about Mr Figgis’ loveof birds of prey. You should get him to tell you about it one day, as it’s really interesting :thumbsup: :D

Would love to find one of those. Personal, traceable finds are wonderful. Thank you Doug :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Good piece of research on the Vervel.
As said interesting when you can attribute a find to a certain person / family.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Saki

Very, very nice. And brilliant research. Every day is a school day :thumbsup:
Easylife

That's a very special find and no doubt the split of £1700 paid for your detector, well done! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Wow love the style on the inscription
Great find and one any of us would be chuffed as heck with
Nice one Doug :clapping:

Ahh yes Michael Rose
I met him many years ago, but not in a death or detecting scenario :lol:
Quite famous around these parts :thumbsup:
Doug

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:13 pm Wow love the style on the inscription
Great find and one any of us would be chuffed as heck with
Nice one Doug :clapping:

Ahh yes Michael Rose
I met him many years ago, but not in a death or detecting scenario :lol:
Quite famous around these parts :thumbsup:
Thank you.

Mr Rose did not suffer fools gladly but did show a true interest in the treasure cases that I had put before him.

Tony Williams took over from him when he retired.

I have one treasure case going through now and one going through at sometime in the future, paperwork completed on line for those 6 coins.
Steve_JT

That’s different, nice to have the back story to it and trace back to ownership, it’s a lovely piece with some great detail

Nicely done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
muddy mick

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:04 pm Keep forgetting about Mr Figgis’ loveof birds of prey. You should get him to tell you about it one day, as it’s really interesting :thumbsup: :D
One landed by my campervan last week about 6 foot away, i was on the phone and couldnt get a shot :cry:
As to the Verval, awesome find :Party:
figgis

muddy mick wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:37 pm One landed by my campervan last week
A Figgis or a bird of prey? :lol:
muddy mick wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:37 pm i was on the phone and couldnt get a shot :cry:
If it was a bird of prey, it's illegal to shoot them; if it was a Figgis, fill yer boots and I'll even reload for you. The fewer wild relatives around the more inheritance there is to go round :thumbsup:
:D
muddy mick

figgis wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:03 am A Figgis or a bird of prey? :lol:
If it was a bird of prey, it's illegal to shoot them; if it was a Figgis, fill yer boots and I'll even reload for you. The fewer wild relatives around the more inheritance there is to go round :thumbsup:
:D
Think it was a Goshawk, it was beautiful, love all wild life, if i see anyone shooting wildlife il wrap my shovel round there you know where :thumbsup:
Bors

Quote MM ,...." Think it was a Goshawk, it was beautiful, love all wild life, if i see anyone shooting wildlife il wrap my shovel round there you know where :thumbsup: "

Michelous ! It`s not like you to be violent ? Have you been on the Eggnog ? :shock: :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen