A perfect match

figgis

...and I'm not referring to Her Ladyship and I, obviously. Lord no. We tend to go for someone "suitable" rather than "phwoar" and breeding plays a vital part in one's choice. Course, this often leads to "in"breeding, resulting in the likes of Cousin Daphne and her extra apendages, full beard and talking colon, but standards must be maintained however unfortunate the result. But I digress...

What ho,

Thought it might be an idea in the enforced downtime to try to catch up with the recording business (archaeological, not musical) and so set about the pile we've been fortunate enough to garner when able. Nothing spectacular, you inderstand, but a steady flow of ancient odds and ends, one of which was a Roman bracelet part. Now, one thing self-recording does is it make you really look at something closely in order to accurately describe it, and shortly into my description of the item I started getting a definite feeling of dayjah voo. I put the record on hold, looked into my previous records, and there it was - an item of virtually identical form. Everything - dimensions, patina and decoration (even down to the spacing between grooves) - matched, and while found 100m and eleven months to the day apart they were clearly two pieces of the same bracelet :o

That's a first for me, and while it's always worth a scan around the immediate area of good finds in case there's more, you never know when/where another chunk of a decent find might surface. The ambition is still to unearth the rest of a particularly beautiful Saxon cruciform brooch foot terminal I found a while back, and with another part of this bracelet turning up it's good to know the game's still afoot :thumbsup:

Pip pip and a Happy New Year to you all. :thumbsup:
Attachments
bracelet PUBLIC-44495E.jpg
Bracelet PUBLIC-88ECA9.jpg
Blackadder43

What sort of extra appendages?
Asking for a friend you understand :D

Nice match up fella, and to the day too
Fate?
That field is leading you to something......maybe a Gin Trough?

:lol: :ugeek:
figgis

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:01 pm What sort of extra appendages?
Asking for a friend you understand :D
Put it this way - she's great fun to waltz with ;)
Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:01 pm That field is leading you to something......maybe a Gin Trough?
Well, I already have one of those by the bedside, but an additional one out in the fields would be most welcome :Party: :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

Good result :thumbsup:

I’ve had two finds similar circumstances
Brooch and purse bar both in two parts found different times

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Excellent memory skills (despite the gin trough ;) ) . Very pleased for you, it’s so nice to make partefacts into wholeefacts (new word that makes sense dunnit!). Personally only happened to me once - 2 parts of a purse frame. Still need to find the rest :D

Good excuse to get out again then eh :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Littleboot

Good result matching the pieces and remembering the first one. I wonder how many of us have found two bits of the same 'something' and find them in different seasons and simply forget or fail to join the dots?
(I do that with socks in the laundry....for some reason I get a loy of odd socks out of the machine....then save them for a bit....but usually I discard them or use them for dusters just before I come across the matching one. I try keeping them for a while longer but it doesn't matter how many months I hand on to them I always end up finding the other one of the pairs after I get rid of the first one. Sock's law.)
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
figgis

:lol:

Jan, odd socks coming out of the wash is one of life's annoying and unexplained mysteries. Terry Pratchett held this little fellah responsible:
eater of socks.jpg
:lol:

Well, it makes as much sense of any other explanation :thumbsup:
Bors

Littleboot wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:51 pm Good result matching the pieces and remembering the first one. I wonder how many of us have found two bits of the same 'something' and find them in different seasons and simply forget or fail to join the dots?
(I do that with socks in the laundry....for some reason I get a loy of odd socks out of the machine....then save them for a bit....but usually I discard them or use them for dusters just before I come across the matching one. I try keeping them for a while longer but it doesn't matter how many months I hand on to them I always end up finding the other one of the pairs after I get rid of the first one. Sock's law.)
I`ve never been shy of putting odd socks on. :thumbsup: To my way of thinking they're there to keep my feet warm, and not a fashion accessory
If folk want to Look hard enough to see if they are matching , I guess they`ve got too much time on their hands to worry about that.
I have started to go out with my "T" shirt inside out ,or back to front on occasions, but its another thing I find immaterial. Mind you at 5.30-6.30 am ,most mornings and seeing whether my T shirts inside out or back to front`s the last thing on my mind . The more important thing is just making a Bee line for the Coffee machine . :lol: And the beauty of being A pensioner is, I can always blame it on my age anyway . :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen