Ideas for 2021

Blackadder43

Gosh its almost here too :shock:
I remember as a kid thinking we would be travelling through space and living on different planets by the 2020's :lol:

Anyways, before i get distracted with geek talk, let me get to the jist of this post:

We are open to any of your ideas you would like to see implemented at The Hub in the new year
If anyone has anything they would like to see, or have built, then please reply here or contact one of us through a PM or email :thumbsup:
We cannot guarantee that all of them will get implemented, but if they are useful and practical to do then we will give it a darn good try to make it work :thumbsup:

One thing i thought of earlier, and 1 chap already did it recently too is this:

In the new year, maybe start your own topic, and then keep adding to this same topic on each of your trips out, with photos and accounts of the day
It will start to grow into a permanent record of your years detecting....something you can refer back too at any point.....You could even give your landowner the link to the topic and let them see the finds and story of their land grow

Would be fun at the end of 2021 to be able to look back through just 1 topic and see how you did on your permissions :thumbsup:
Add photos of the scrap you dig too as a reminder at how busy you have been :lol:

We would still want you to make seperate topics for ID's and your days finds and stories topics etc, alongside your own personal topic , and we dont mind the photos being repeated in both topics if you get me :ugeek:

If a few people take this up then we can also make a dedicated forum just for these personal accounts of your progress through 2021

Here is an example of such a thread idea started by Samuraitrev:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=705
Easylife

Hats off to Trev for constructing such informative but time consuming posts showing the reality of detecting. :thumbsup: Though guess a lack of feedback would no doubt be it's demise? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

I would love to see some more "instructional" content..I very much enjoyed the coin cleaning videos for instance, and would welcome more such videos on any aspect of detecting.

How about establishing a test garden enabling different videos to be filmed over time?

For instance rather than just showing Machine X can hit a coin at 10", you could show the difference changing certain settings makes, or the effect of varying say swing speed or coil height??? In fact once the garden was established, it could be used for all manner of tests and demos.....
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:38 am I would love to see some more "instructional" content..I very much enjoyed the coin cleaning videos for instance, and would welcome more such videos on any aspect of detecting.
There just has to be a very right way and a not so good way, a fine line but it's great to experiment! :lol:
Pete E wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:38 am How about establishing a test garden enabling different videos to be filmed over time?
For instance rather than just showing Machine X can hit a coin at 10", you could show the difference changing certain settings makes, or the effect of varying say swing speed or coil height??? In fact once the garden was established, it could be used for all manner of tests and demos.....
In reality with modern detectors a slight adjustment makes no great odds, but may just make the target sound a little better, but you won't have missed it anyway!
The main game changer is simultaneous multi-frequency. :thumbsup:
Easylife

Well if anyone want's to play for fun I still have a couple of 1 acre paddocks to detect thoroughly, and still can by the rules. Maybe like the old battleship game? :lol: I can make them into grids and you choose your sector if you like? So who's up for it? :Thinking:
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 am In reality with modern detectors a slight adjustment makes no great odds, but may just make the target sound a little better, but you won't have missed it anyway!
Is it? Every technology has it’s plus and minus points. I think Pete has a great idea there. Even with the all singing and dancing equinox I’m sure tweaks in the programmes could improve on such perfection.

Sorry for the sarcasm but is there really no downsides? There is if you chose to look for them. Multi frequency has massive advantages in lots of situations I grant you, but not all.

But sorry to Pete on taking this off track - I’d love to see a test bed on single machine programme comparisons and across machine comparisons too. Great idea :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:40 am Multi frequency has massive advantages in lots of situations I grant you, but not all.
Just name one then? :Thinking:
DaveP

Easylife wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 am In reality with modern detectors a slight adjustment makes no great odds, but may just make the target sound a little better, but you won't have missed it anyway!
I agree multifrequency is a game changer but it's been around for a long time - what we have now is MF for the masses at a low price point and I can only see it getting better. Like you, I don't see any downsides.

I used to run a T2 searching most of the time in all metal and did lots of testing comparing the settings. Without a doubt there were a number of signals that showed in AM but there wasn't even the hint of a sound in any other setting with or without disc.
I've tried the same with the Nox and although fewer finds are missed I've still found a difference between AM (digable signal) and other programmes (not a whisper).
All metal can be a pain and is only suited to some ground but a test bed check would be interesting to see for a range of machines.
Pete E

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:40 am Is it? Every technology has it’s plus and minus points. I think Pete has a great idea there. Even with the all singing and dancing equinox I’m sure tweaks in the programmes could improve on such perfection.

Sorry for the sarcasm but is there really no downsides? There is if you chose to look for them. Multi frequency has massive advantages in lots of situations I grant you, but not all.

But sorry to Pete on taking this off track - I’d love to see a test bed on single machine programme comparisons and across machine comparisons too. Great idea :thumbsup:
And this is the sort of questions that could be explored (to a degree anyway) in a test garden...

In a addition to genuine targets a few bits of tricky ferrous scrap could be buried to all experimentation between different settings, different coil sizes, different machines..

It wouldn't be about this machine is better than that one, but learning and perhaps challenging/testing some of the dogma that is entrenched in our hobby...

I can't remember the guy's name, but there used to be done really good videos on YouTube re using the Deus...The same sort of approach could be taken for other common machines...
Bors

I think what a lot of Folk tend to forget , is that a massive part of Detecting competently is gained only through experience and to gain experience you have to put the years under your belt to gain the experience..Hands on Experience is far better than reading or watching the Type of things you see on YouTube because often on Youtube, you find guys showing how things are done, and they havn`t been detecting that long themselves , so , you could be picking up duff information on occasions maybe ? How do you pick out whats right & whats wrong if you don`t know anyway though,so , that could be your biggest problem?
IF you have plenty of experience and you can tell the informative Video`s from the Bunkum Video`s that`s fine ,yes you can pick up good help but its often a case of separating the Chaff from the grain on the Youtube in a lot of cases with some of the Clowns out there putting their garbage up.

I think there's too much emphasis on the part of the detector.
As we all know even having the best-est top of the ladder detectors are no guarantee of finds and success. I say that Because history has proved that a man/woman with, shall we describe it as a "lowly "detector and knows it inside out ,can out perform a man who knows very little, but has a top notch detector.
Two other additions do indeed play a major part though. One is Good productive land ,and good luck thrown in the equation is a must. So the " Detector " is only a part of the whole circle of detecting .
When I started detecting there was no Clubs so to speak and definitely no internet Forums , informational sites , or YouTube and FB to glean from .It was just suck it and see.
You just had to get your detector out there which came many a time with a inadequate User manual , and out you go , get on with it.
On one occasion I remember buying a detector in the earlier days which had 6 knobs,a couple of flick switches, and a hand book that told you what they did, but didn`t tell you when to change or alter what to what ,or switch to what when you should ,so it took ages to fathom it out . No one else was around to help you as there were next to no one else who had a metal detector in those days and even if they did ,you never knew of them, and it was like being on a desert Island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with it. But learn you had to, and learn you did especially when you`d bought it on tick and was 15 months away from finishing paying for it you had to or waste your money .

If I`m honest I`ve never liked using Test beds . They are only semi useful to give approximates ,but you cannot beat the real deal in the Fields for doing your testing "naturally" in ground strewn with Iron and mineralisation to test your detector.
The problem can be though , one mans land he`s testing in say down in the South, is going to be different to another mans land up in the Mid UK ,or even further up in the Northern counties lands, so what one man requires to set his settings at will differ to what another man must set his at. Soils & mineralisation can vary per County and require different settings .
All I can recommend is put the Hours under the belt in ,and it in the end it gives you that experience needed.Books can help yes ,but they will never beat, in the field experience. Ok, its going to take time but you`ve got lots of time if your young or middle aged, so there`s no problem if that`s the case is there?
That`s my take on it anyway. :D Go forth ,learn the trade well, and become a fully fledged Geek.
Here end`eth ,the Gospel according to Saint Bors of Albion . :thumbsup: :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen