Final dig of 2020 (livery button ID as Hanbury-Tracy).

Saffron

On Christmas Eve I did my normal round of deliveries of a card and bottle to my landowers. While chatting to the owner of what "in theory" should be my most promising site, which although it has produced the odd find has not been as productive as hoped (are any?), he mentioned that "I now had competition" as another detectorist was now going. I could not really say anything as the new detectorist was in part responsible for me getting the permission, he is also a newbie and when showing the farmer his finds (all rubbish) had said "Evan must of had all the good stuff" (if only), so I sensed he had not found anything.

Today rightly predicting the county being moved up to Tier 4, and hence no metal detecting allowed, I decided to have one final session for the year although I knew the fields would be staturated. So headed to that permission, although more wondering "is it worth it" than full of anticipation.

A few positives on arrival, firstly the small river that runs through the middle of the permission was actually back within the banks, and secondly although there was snow on the surrounding hill tops there was none in the valley, and finally there was less standing water in the fields than I had anticipated.

For some unknow reason I had never done a VERY small paddock just by the farm buildings so as it was the nearest to the car I tried there first, thinking if its too wet to detect it saves a longer walk. Straight away had a good signal and to my surprise when I went to dig it the ground was not as bad as I had anticipated. Better still it was a coin, a vgc 1862 Queen Victoria 1/2d, a nice start as I have had more than one session with only rubbish and not a single coin. The next few holes were OK but gettting progressively wetter, and all were rubbish, soon as I start to dig the holes they are starting to fill with water so decide I am making too much of a mess (and its very obvious that close to the buildings) so go to change fields but decide to dig a final signal. Glad I did as I rescued a silver love token (smoothed and bent 6d) from the rising water. Interestingly this find was only about 100yds from an identical find in the adjacent field. As its not near a footpath any finds are likely to be related to the farm; it does make you wonder was the farmers daughter, or a milk maid, very attractive with several suitors, or was the farmers son a "jack the lad" handing them out to several young ladies, if only our finds could talk (yes I know it might be coincidence but that means no "story" and is boring).

Well not the worst of visits. Importantly I have learnt a lot about the little paddock, firstly it contains a LOT of rubbish, but importantly it does seem to have a bit of potential. I have also found silver, although this type of love token does nothing for me, and a vgc Vicki.

Return to the car and put in all the rubbish. Decide to head to a narrow small paddock by the track to the farm with a couple of big ridges and furrows thinking that the ridges might be drier, I have also had a few bits out this paddock but again know it has a lot of rubbish. Cross the small river and watch a heron majestically fly over, I did think it was wasting its time as the river was carrying so much colour that there was no chance of it seeing any fish. A sort distance into the paddock as I hoped the ridge is much drier. However, sadly a large part of it is near undetecatable due to the rubbish (I suspect its where rubbish has been dumped and burnt over the years). But after a while start to work out the odd better signal, but its just a mixture of rubbish. Eventually get a coin ... or so I thought .. its a button!.

But after a gentle rub I realise what a lovely livery button it is, gilt, with a crown, above what I think is a winged helmet and lion holding a sword. Made by "Armfield's Birmingham". The company was formed in 1763 and still active in at least the 1970s. Hopefully it should be easy to identify by one of the experts on here ..... found in North Gloucestershire.

After a few more rubbish items to my surprise I find a 1797 cartwheel penny. Only my second and VERY close to where I found my first last year, so probably both were lost at the same time. After finding the first I thought I had 100% covered that area in case of other coins!!, I have also been over the general area several times since. It just shows different ground conditions and hitting a target from a different angle can result in extra finds.

Head back to the car, to dump yet more rubbish, and see the farmer so have a chat. Obviously I show him my finds, then he grabs one and says "I will have that" ... the love token? no, .... the cartwheel penny? no, .... the livery button? no (thankfully!), .... the 1862 1/2d? no ..... but a nut that was like new (if usable I keep nuts, bolts and such like). Like myself he knows that kind of thing can come in handy "one day".

As he is about to head to do some horses I ask "What is the best way to get to the fields the other side of the buildings" (there was no obvious way), so he shows me and as we walk through the gate to the first one he explains which are his fields. I am pleased to find out it includes two extra ones, OK only about 7 acres that can be detected but as its a small permission thats quite an increase. I do a very quick wander around the first by the river and establish that at least it has a lot less rubbish than the others. So again something learnt.

As getting dark I head back to the car, as going though the yard shout to the landowners sister that I had found a horseshoe, we have a quick word and agree that me digging rubbish was about as productive as her inher words "s**t shoveling" (sadly it has to be done if you have horses). I then get told that she wants to know if I find anything and that we will split it, but "we will not tell him" (beckoning towards her brother).

Not a bad way to end what on the whole has been a very unproductive year.

Evan
Attachments
liverybuttongm.JPG
Kenleyboy

I enjoyed reading that post , very interesting and well written :thumbsup:
slippery

I think the Hanbury-Tracy family , Barons Sudeley of Toddington in Gloucestershire

https://www.burkespeerage.com/featured_ ... udeley.php

A slightly different version

:thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Great write up Evan. I was going to say I felt I was there with you but that would raise some eyebrows :lol:

Love a good livery button, great to get a new one that allows the fun of the search!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

slippery wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:22 am I think the Hanbury-Tracy family , Barons Sudeley of Toddington in Gloucestershire

https://www.burkespeerage.com/featured_ ... udeley.php

A slightly different version

:thumbsup:
Very many thanks Slippery, that is a cracking ID there as location of find would be good for the Hanbury-Tracy family. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is what I like to find something with a local history that you can research. :Party: (even if being hopeless at family crests I needed somebody to do it for me!).

Evan
figgis

Great write-up, Evan, and a cracking ID from Slippery :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Evan, really enjoyed the write up
The 1862 Half penny, by chance does it have the Die letter, A,B or C to the left of the Lighthouse, Extremely rare.
Good luck next year.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Littleboot

Enjoyed your tale of a day on your permissions....i find it interesting to see the thought processes of detectorists when they survey their ground.
I hadn't read your post until after I posted my bit on love rings...so I found it amusing that we had similar thoughts regarding a re 'lovelorn' finds. :thumbsup:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Saffron

Dave The Slave wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:32 pm Evan, really enjoyed the write up
The 1862 Half penny, by chance does it have the Die letter, A,B or C to the left of the Lighthouse, Extremely rare.
Good luck next year.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Dave, glad you liked the write up.

Just checked and as I expected no die letter by the lighthouse.
However, this does remind me that its always worth checking Victorian coppers as there are several varients of both the obverse and reverse and some of the combinations are very rare. But the coin does have to be in reasonable conditon to spot some of these minor changes, eg the tide level - in a "Normal Tide" the seas horizon is level with the folds in Brittania's robe, while with the "Low Tide" it is level with the hem.

Evan
Saffron

Littleboot wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:51 pm Enjoyed your tale of a day on your permissions....i find it interesting to see the thought processes of detectorists when they survey their ground.
I hadn't read your post until after I posted my bit on love rings...so I found it amusing that we had similar thoughts regarding a re 'lovelorn' finds. :thumbsup:
Jan, glad you like the story.

Yes sometimes its just good to step back and have a think about our finds, sadly we will never know the true story but we can always imagine what might have been the story behind them.

After seeing your comment about the love rings you had found I read the post, fantastic finds, and if only they could talk what stories they would tell. The odd ring will always be lost, but so many "love rings" does seem strange and make you wonder if they were lost or deliberately thrown away when the romance ended.

At least in your case we know they were genuine tokens of a persons love, and that is often considered the case with bent sixpences but there are other suggestions - I am unsure.

Evan