Love hurts, I know, but even so.....

Littleboot

Hello folks...finally got a bit of time to myself. A client was due to arrive for lunch but at the last minute cried off so although it was already too late (and I was too snug by the fire) to go detecting, at least I have time to post something.
I thought I'd post some pictures of some rings I have found this year....as the title suggests they are all 'love' related. The French, eh?
In the years I have been detecting over here in Frogland I have never found a 'love token' of the bent coin sort. I don't even know if they are/were a 'thing' here to begin with. Would be interested to hear if anyone has ever found a 'love token' on this side of the channel.
Instead I have found quite a few rings which are promise rings or speak of troths plighted...or maybe blighted given how many seem to find themselves in the soil. Fickle lot. :lol:
100_5932.JPG
These are two 'fede' rings...two hands holding a heart or clasping one another....one early one in copper alloy found in the rubble area of a ploughed out 17th century farm. Probably from that earlier date. The silver one is likely late 18th century and was found near a pond in a paddock belonging to a derelict farmhouse a very nice but probably misguided English lass has taken on with a view to doing it up. I am sending it to her in the New year as she hasn't been able to visit for some time.
The other two are a different kind of love ring..The L and heart is shorthand for 'Elle a mon coeur' or She has my heart. They tend to be 17th to 18th century. Not thick silver...probably .800 silver or less.. Clearly her heart wasn't in it. It was found in the strip of land which was rented by the guy who owned our house in the late 18th century and through the revolutionary period. According to parish registers his son 'Toussaint ' Fortin wasn't much of a saint and fathered several children out of wedlock and his first wife left him. He married again, and went to live in another parish so how that happened I have yet to discover. I imagine a completely disillusioned mademoiselle throwing this at him with a few choice words.

Best wishes everyone for a happy and prosperous New Year....and do not let TBGYD.
Attachments
100_5931.JPG
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Dave The Slave

Good post, Jan, with a lot of interesting back ground info.
Yet to find anything love related with the detector.
Although i did get an eyes only Marmite jar from the War. :lol:
Wishing you all the best for the New Year. :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Nice array of rings there Jan. You have had some lovely finds this year. I’d be delighted with any of those because of the personal nature of them.

Happy New Year to you too and hope you do make it across the channel at some point during the next 12 months

bonne année :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Kenleyboy

Another great post Littleboot , rings are such personal items , I have never found one while metal detecting . :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Ohhh the hand of rings :blow kiss:
I have only ever found 'bits' of rings, never a full intact good one.....spose one day i should get myself on the beach...

You ask about 'love tokens' over your way
I did some research many moons ago, and from my hazy memory the art of 'love tokens' is an English thing.....not saying that the idea didnt find its way across the channel, but you never know
The French are a romantic lot....

I also found a few snippets of info too
Such as this comment:
The great recoinage around 1696 led to sixpence coins that were made of very thin silver and were easily bent, becoming "crooked"
Which runs alongside the theory of the origins of the nursery rhyme
There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse,
and they all lived together in a little crooked house.
Thanks for using your time to make us an interesting post here Jan :thumbsup:
Take a well earned rest now and be ready for the new year to unfold for us all
Happy new year to yourself and Pete :ugeek:
Easylife

From the title I guessed there would be a ring involved Jan! :silent:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Thanks for that, Jan. Great info :thumbsup:

Like Bruce, I've only ever found only bits of rings and it'd be nice to find something like your examples above. Love finding personal stuff like that :thumbsup:

Have a great NY yourself :blow kiss: