freezing cold echinoids !

Kenleyboy

As we draw a final close to this bizarre year , the eve was bathed in a heavy frost and fog that has been with us all day today . The bitter cold and the lure of a log fire was enough to tell me it was best to stay indoors and just sit this one out . However the dogs had a different idea and I just know that look which is displayed with the most pitiful eyes that would melt even the hardest of souls .
I know what is was , our "Handsome Boy Joe " was no doubt eager to try out his sporting new woollen coat and the girl , well she will go out in all weathers such is the spirit of a younger dog . So with a heavy heart and sigh , I togged myself up in winter wear and stuck a tentative foot out into the cold blurred outdoors and boy was if cold !
20201231_160047_resized[2256].jpg
Once on the farm , it was like stepping into the world of opaque silence , not a sound could be heard nor a soul to be seen and even if anyone was out there , they would be lost as was the landscape in a heavy thick mist .
Despite the lack of visibility , for once I could use it to my advantage and being a daring sort when opportunity arises ,I decided to break the rules and walk one of the stubble fields a little further out than the boundaries and scan the ground for any more interesting flints or fossils in the hope I would be rewarded with a keen eye . Making sure the coast was clear I stepped into the world of out of bounds quietly confident that my task ahead would be a relaxing stroll and after ten minutes or so I struck lucky again .
20201231_154012_resized[2257].jpg
I had actually walked past this spot once already and on my return line my eye picked up that tell tale shape and again this field rewarded me yet another Echinoid . Quite a bruiser this one and a shame the top half is missing as it would have been a fine specimen but no matter , it was at least another find and reward for braving the cold .
I have to thank Hub member DaveP for his enthusiasm and help in assisting with research giving me an insight into these fascinating fossils and it is mind blowing to think these are 145 million years old :o !
These Echinoids seem to be a fairly common find , especially on this one particular field and if field walking was permitted I am sure more would surface but apart from my rogue walk today I shall have to settle with the boundaries from now on at least until the heavy fog returns .
Happy new year to one and all :thumbsup:
20201231_163143_resized[2261].jpg
Blackadder43

I was going to edit your post title and add the following:

'freezing cold echinoids ! But luckily i had me thermals on'

But i thought better of it cause i is supposed to be a grown up now :ugeek:

Looks cold fella, and its hardly surprising you strayed off the path with that thick pea-souper of a fog....

Nice find, i bet i have walked past loads of those and never picked them up
*Note to self*
Pay attention when walking

Hope you have warmed up now infront the fire and the dogs have thawed out

Take it easy fella and a Happy new year to you and your good lady, and your dogs and any other pets you have lurking in your home
Easylife

Well spotted, it's done well to dodge the plough for 145 million years! :Thinking: :lol: :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Bors

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:53 pm I was going to edit your post title and add the following:

'freezing cold echinoids ! But luckily i had me thermals on'

But i thought better of it cause i is supposed to be a grown up now
:ugeek:

Looks cold fella, and its hardly surprising you strayed off the path with that thick pea-souper of a fog....

Nice find, i bet i have walked past loads of those and never picked them up
*Note to self*
Pay attention when walking

Hope you have warmed up now infront the fire and the dogs have thawed out

Take it easy fella and a Happy new year to you and your good lady, and your dogs and any other pets you have lurking in your home
To posses Mirth is an unrivaled gift . Defend it and express it whenever the chance arises ,because if you ever lose it ,you are no more than an empty soul. :thumbsup: :D Happy New Year Mirthers .
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
DaveP

Probably Echinocorys scutata (100-65 million years ago)