Wish List for 2021....

Littleboot

I have been spending some pleasant hours by the log fire ('tis cold and frosty here in Normandy) with a drink of something fortifying naturally....considering a wish list of finds for the coming year.
I am a great believer in the power of positive thought and visualization (a whole 'nother topic right there) ....having a clear goal and affirming it does, at the very least, encourage you to go the extra mile.( A bit like a sportsman who has a performance target to aim for and is therefore more motivated to practice and in turn that makes the goal more likely to be attained.)
We do not always get what we wish for....at least not at once...but it is always exciting when they do. Wishes are magical because they make you think about what you really want.
Last year I was able to cross a couple of things off my wish-list: a complete silver shoe buckle and a neolithic polished axe. The fact that they were on my wish-list....as opposed to simply popping up.....made them even more exciting and special. So what is to lose?

Here is mine for 2021 in no particular order of preference:
*I would like to find a Limoges mount or maybe an early 'Christ in Majesty' style crucifix. Some relic of early worship, certainly. There are several old chapels in the area I live and I have found crucifixes but all late medieval/ post medieval onwards. And all with either legs, torso or something missing. I feel like I am gradually assembling a complete one, one bit at a time, Johnny Cash style.
* An old gold ring.I find quite a lot of rings on my land but they have been copper-alloy or silver. Not complaining...they are interesting and enjoyable finds.....but I can't believe there is not a gold one lurking on my permissions somewhere. So up to me to find it, then. lol
I will be doing some more beach detecting this year so hopefully will find one there...but my real wish is to find one on my land with some age to it. As I am wishing I may as well go for it and say i would really like one set with an emerald or sapphire and coming complete with an inscription. :lol:
* A hawking vervel. Always wanted one. I love the whole history of falconry and read about it a lot. Over the years I have found many many rings from pedigree rabbits and racing pigeons :roll: so a vervel is due I think. One hasn't come my way in 40 years detecting but that is no reason to suppose it will not do in the coming year, is it?
* Something with really nice enamel in tact from the Roman or Merovingian (see, I am not hard to please! :D ) periods....a brooch or similar.
* A gold or silver stater from the local celtic tribe...I have one from the tribe from Bayeux but I would like a truly local one for the Museum.

That is enough to focus on I think. I hope to see others put up their wish lists as well. It is a fun thing to do. I remember posting(*elsewhere, ;) ) a few years ago that I wanted to find a particular gold hammered coin...an Agnel D'Or....and was sure there was one in my valley somewhere and i simply had to find it. And then, a couple of years later (2019) out one popped, quite unexpectedly, just 2 inches down in an area infested with iron and Napoleon III lose change. Lovely! Belief is a very powerful thing. It is what keeps us making the effort.
Good luck everyone....may some of your dreams come true this year. (Not all....that would not be good for us. :lol: )
Jan. xxxx
Live long and prosper.
Blackadder43

Quite agree Jan with the positive thoughts thing Jan, i am a firm believer in that and the last 6 months or so that thought process has soared for me:thumbsup:

As for your wish list....mines bigger than yours :lol:

Look forward to seeing any stories that you post that confirms a tick off that wish list :ugeek:
Oxgirl

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:08 pm
As for your wish list....mines bigger than yours :lol:
Is it? Tease! Best share it then :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Something most of you if not everyone has found, which i would like to find is Milled Silver
Have a gap in my English Silver coinage between Elizabeth 1 and a 50% 1940 Two Shilling. ( There is a late Viccy 3d, which is virtually a blank disc )
Would like to find the full set of Denominations, Crown, Half Crown, Florin, Two Shilling and Sixpence.
Would like to particularly find one of the above with the Regional mint letter.
Would also like another Denarius in the same condition as the previous 2. Don`t think one every 2nd season is greedy in the grand scheme of things.
Final thing is to be able to get back on my main field before the crops get planted.
Good luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Oxgirl

Love this topic - goals are good! I had found my original newbie list a few weeks ago and l was pleased to say I had found everything on it. That was a real surprise!

I had done a second list a year or so later and I've found everything on that one too except a gold posey ring and an Oxford mint hammered coin. I would still adore both of those. In addition I have a few other things I have found myself drooling over.

They are really all coin related - I would be delighted to find a sceat, a norman coin, a saxon coin and a gold or silver celtic. The pinacle is a gold hammered for me so I'll add that too but I'm scared to get one of those because firstly I'd probably have to sell it (that would kill me) to give the landowner their half and I think I'd find it depressing that my dream had already been fulfilled so what else would I have to search for? That might sound dramatic but it took me weeks to get over finding my first silver hammered coin cause I wanted one so badly :lol: That seems silly doesn’t it? The truth though and thankfully I still adore them now. No other find ever seems to make me quite so happy.

Anyway that’s my list :D
Easylife

I guess my list is long but not too specific, amongst others:
A coin from a ruler that I don't already have, a Charles I or II would bridge a gap.
A stater would be nice.
A Bronze age axe head of any type.
A gold ring, older the better.
An enamelled Roman brooch.

Any of the above complete and in good condition.
Any item which I have not found before.
I'm easily pleased, anything new is a bonus. 🤩

It's snowing here and settling! ⛄
I didn't wish for that! 🤨
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:32 pm Something most of you if not everyone has found, which i would like to find is Milled Silver.
Have a gap in my English Silver coinage between Elizabeth 1 and a 50% 1940 Two Shilling. ( There is a late Viccy 3d, which is virtually a blank disc )
I find that pasture is good for milled silver especially near footpaths. I think you will find a few this year. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

This year on my fave field I will be mostly hoping for:

1. Anything Celtic to bridge the gap between BA and Roman.
2. Some tesserae to go with the roof & flue tiles.
3. A complete Saxon brooch (it's only been bits so far) and I'm convinced there's a biggun lurking in there somewhere.
4. The opportunity to search for 1,2 &3.

:D :thumbsup:
bob79

Only thing on my wish list is to be able to get back out detecting with Kevin (i-Rutus), Cath (Oxgirl) and Emily (Emily).🤝🤝🤝
Kenleyboy

My wish list would have to be any type of Bronze Age axehead , a Gold Hammered coin and a nice full Saxon Brooch . :thumbsup:
muddy mick

A Stater, 2 Staters or a hoard of Staters, not had sniff of one in 28 years, found just about everything else, well nearly :pulling hair out:
figgis

muddy mick wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:55 pm A Stater, 2 Staters or a hoard of Staters
I'd settle for a fossilised Celtic bogey :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:38 pm I find that pasture is good for milled silver especially near footpaths. I think you will find a few this year. :thumbsup:
I completely agree - I’ve only ever found milled silver on pasture. Mainly found round old oak trees, paths and an area that I think was a picnic spot in the Georgian/ Victorian times. Goid luck, you’ve a better chance than most of us with our lists :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

bob79 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm Only thing on my wish list is to be able to get back out detecting with Kevin (i-Rutus), Cath (Oxgirl) and Emily (Emily).🤝🤝🤝
Awwwwh thanks Bob. I like your list :Star:
Oxgirl

Kenleyboy wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:45 pm My wish list would have to be any type of Bronze Age axehead , a Gold Hammered coin and a nice full Saxon Brooch . :thumbsup:
Oi don’t go stealing the gold hammies please, well not before I get one :lol: