mis- strike... unusual coin.... (or neither!)...

HolzHammer

Afternoon All,
I came across this coin while doing a bit of sorting and cleaning.... i think it is a bit of a mis-strike as its very "to the left" esp noticeable on the obverse ( sorry for the lack of jargon!). but i also noticed the only the "IA" is to the right of Britannia's head with an "N" between the spear and the left of her head.... and then the Date seems to be peculiarly placed too, being directly after the "IA"....

Is this an unusual William III Half Penny? I have tried consulting Spink but don't understand the shorthand for each difference per coin!!

Any help much appreciated! Thanks in advance
All the B
Alexander
Attachments
DSC_0416.jpeg
DSC_0412.jpeg
Oxgirl

I love the whole counterfeit and evasion coins of the early 18th century, many pretending to be late 17th century Williams. I have one obvious evasion one and a few other I think are counterfeits - highly likely given the prevalence of them!

This is a really interesting article on them and why.

However this one could be a second issue William III like this one on ebay. The date was in the legend, not below Britannia.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bors

Upon first setting eyes on it I thought, Forgery ,straight away . The face on Britannia's too ugly for starters :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Easylife

It looks the real deal, 2nd issue in great condition. :thumbsup:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces62074.html
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
leadtokendavid

Yes, agree it is a 2nd type William III. Having the date on the end of BRITANNIA, rather than under the exergue as usual, looks a bit odd; however, it was a feature of some 1698/99 pieces, and I find it quite a pleasant variety. It was probably an experiment by the mint which they decided after a year to revert from. Whether yours is a genuine coin or a forgery I can't comment, because I don't the minutiae of the fine detail well enough; however you can't call it an evasion. Evasions, mostly struck c.1793-96, were attempts to evade prosecution by putting something in the design which obviously differed from the genuine, whilst yet hoping that the illiterate public would use it as a coin {usually a halfpenny} regardless. This one, however, conforms very closely to the correct design.
HolzHammer

leadtokendavid wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 pm Yes, agree it is a 2nd type William III. Having the date on the end of BRITANNIA, rather than under the exergue as usual, looks a bit odd; however, it was a feature of some 1698/99 pieces, and I find it quite a pleasant variety. It was probably an experiment by the mint which they decided after a year to revert from. Whether yours is a genuine coin or a forgery I can't comment, because I don't the minutiae of the fine detail well enough; however you can't call it an evasion. Evasions, mostly struck c.1793-96, were attempts to evade prosecution by putting something in the design which obviously differed from the genuine, whilst yet hoping that the illiterate public would use it as a coin {usually a halfpenny} regardless. This one, however, conforms very closely to the correct design.
Thank you David - good knowledge! Hope all well!