Angling also shut down

Saffron

In previous lockdowns there have been a lot of detectorists asking why metal detecting was stopped but angling still allowed, as both are done outdoor, individual (mainly), and well away from other people.

Significantly this time the Angling Trust have also said that people should NOT go fishing. FYI: My club have closed all our waters.
https://anglingtrust.net/2021/01/05/sta ... n-england/

This supports what others have said previously that the government were not singling out metal detecting but all outdoor pursuits were being treated exactly the same (although previously the Angling Trust had taken a very "broad" definition of "public space" to the extent that it included club waters! (which certainly was pushing the description of "public space" IMHO)).

I am sure that both the Angling Trust and NCMD will be making a strong case to the DCMS that the risk involved with angling and metal detecting is negligable and that there are a lot of possitives, especially regarding mental health issues. I very much doubt any change in the short term, but should the current lockdown go on until March (as I believe is likely) then I hope there might be a relaxation.

Evan
Kenleyboy

Saffron wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:03 am In previous lockdowns there have been a lot of detectorists asking why metal detecting was stopped but angling still allowed, as both are done outdoor, individual (mainly), and well away from other people.

Significantly this time the Angling Trust have also said that people should NOT go fishing. FYI: My club have closed all our waters.
https://anglingtrust.net/2021/01/05/sta ... n-england/

This supports what others have said previously that the government were not singling out metal detecting but all outdoor pursuits were being treated exactly the same (although previously the Angling Trust had taken a very "broad" definition of "public space" to the extent that it included club waters! (which certainly was pushing the description of "public space" IMHO)).

I am sure that both the Angling Trust and NCMD will be making a strong case to the DCMS that the risk involved with angling and metal detecting is negligable and that there are a lot of possitives, especially regarding mental health issues. I very much doubt any change in the short term, but should the current lockdown go on until March (as I believe is likely) then I hope there might be a relaxation.

Evan
In the last lockdown angling was only permitted on public waters and day tickets but not on private fisheries , at least up here in Norfolk this seemed to be the case and yes I agree , the Angling Trust did indeed give a very broad definition last time round .
For example I was permitted to fish a free stretch of a section of the River Wensum as it was public land so I could fish alongside other anglers social distancing in place while dog walkers , joggers and ramblers could also access this section of river freely .
Yet , a small woodland lake far off the beaten track on private land fishing alone was not permitted , the gates were padlocked so entry was forbidden .
This ran alongside metal detecting as far as where we could and could not detect and we were permitted to metal detect in a public park subject to council permission , Beaches alongside other users of open spaces for recreational and exercise use but not on private permissions alone and far away from anyone else .
Both regulations seemed to run along side by side with both hobbies although the broad definition by the Angling Trust was "abused" in some cases . I have customers who were quite openly flouting the rules at that time in the "grey" area of angling . That just seemed to open the doors for more confusion and also a few opportunists to take advantage of the situation for their own benefit .
From what I could see and read , metal detecting had not been singled out but ran on a par with Angling more or less as far as restrictions in place .
I am sure we all agree , to not be allowed to have a few hours out on private land on your own either metal detecting or fishing far away from anyone else is quite unfair and a ridiculous rule and can only benefit the well being of each individual in these current times . I very much doubt no matter how hard we bang the drum our voice will not be heard and we come very low on the governments priorities at present .
Kenleyboy

Looks like the Angling Trust has now won an appeal on behalf of Angling and lifted some of the restrictions . Strict rules are still in place though
and rightly so .This does not mean a free for all , it has to be local and is being classed as exercise , so a few hours out in the fresh air and enjoying the surroundings will be just the tonic for many people .
Let us hope the NCMD has a similar success on behalf of metal detecting .
Steve_JT

This may be the reason

A 12 month fishing licence is £45. With approximately 3million people fishing a year that’s £135million a year revenue. Most people buy their license now in January for the year. That’s why it’s now allowed.

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein