Lockdown and detecting - guidance

TheNCMD

LATEST GUIDANCE

Below is the latest guidance for detecting in the 4 UK countries. Whilst detecting is forbidden in England, the devolved governments in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have been more flexible about what exercise and leisure activities are allowed. However, in those countries, we would still urge you to consider carefully if it is the right thing to do - the only safe action is stay at home at this time.

Looking forward to the future lifting of the national lockdown in England we are continuing to lobby the Minister to rethink the rules on detecting on private land in Tier 4 areas. As lockdown is eased we believe allowing people to detect on beaches, whilst not allowing them to detect on private land, is nonsensical.

ENGLAND

Under the restrictions on ‘leisure and recreation’ no detecting is allowed outside the boundaries of your garden.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-on ... 19#history

SCOTLAND

Metal detecting is permitted within the local outdoor recreation rule. It must start and finish at the same place and must only take place within 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area.

You must only detect within a single household group, or as a group comprising no more than 2 people from 2 different households (N.B. children under the age of 12 from these households do not count towards this number.)

WALES

Detecting is not forbidden but exercise is only permitted if it starts and ends at your home.

‘’... you can leave home as often as you like to exercise, as long as you do so alone or with members of your household or support bubble (and/or a carer).
There are no legal limits on the kind of exercise that is permitted. However, in practice, this will be constrained by other alert level 4 restrictions requiring exercise to start and finish at home...’’

https://gov.wales/leaving-your-home-and ... tion-58483

NORTHERN IRELAND

Detecting is not forbidden. You can exercise individually, with your carer or carers or with other members of your household. Other rules on travel, etc. should be followed.

https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publicatio ... eland-2020
Doug

Thank you for the update.
tone

Yes thx for the info nice to know it's only the English that get stuffed i feel loads better now. :pulling hair out:
Easylife

Well let's just hope that common sense prevails soon. :pulling hair out:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TheFenTiger

Easylife wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:49 am Well let's just hope that common sense prevails soon. :pulling hair out:
It has. In order for the rate of infection to go down everyone as been told to stay at home. Unfortunately a lot of people are putting their fingers in their ears, looking for loopholes or claiming they will continue to detect as part of their exercise. It is pretty clear cut for England that no recreation is to take place. Metal detecting seems to have this magical ability to change from a sport to exercise to recreation to a cure all for mental health depending what is allowed at the time.
Dave
HolzHammer

TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:10 am It has. In order for the rate of infection to go down everyone as been told to stay at home. Unfortunately a lot of people are putting their fingers in their ears, looking for loopholes or claiming they will continue to detect as part of their exercise. It is pretty clear cut for England that no recreation is to take place. Metal detecting seems to have this magical ability to change from a sport to exercise to recreation to a cure all for mental health depending what is allowed at the time.
In advance i do not mean or want to aggravate.... I am about to take my new 2 month puppy for some exercise in the field which literally borders my garden. I live there. I will not see anyone and no one will or can enter or exit apart from me. What harm could i possibly do? 100% zero.i simply could not possibly infect or be infected...fact. I will also take a detector (though not turned on as I want to take the chance to accustomize the hound!) I am not looking for loopholes though it is a shame that as a nation we simply cannot be trusted to use our common sense.
Easylife

TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:10 am It has. In order for the rate of infection to go down everyone as been told to stay at home.
But people are not, the parks are full of kids coughing over each other whilst the parents chat on a bench with no social distancing or masks. :pulling hair out:
TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:10 am Unfortunately a lot of people are putting their fingers in their ears, looking for loopholes or claiming they will continue to detect as part of their exercise. It is pretty clear cut for England that no recreation is to take place. Metal detecting seems to have this magical ability to change from a sport to exercise to recreation to a cure all for mental health depending what is allowed at the time.
Well your the only one I've heard who seems to support DCMS but not NCMD who are trying to get detecting on private land allowed whilst complying with Gov rules. Like most others and NCMD I see no negatives with a lone detectorist on private land. Sure we could all stay locked up in our houses forever but that just isn't healthy. As said people just need to apply common sense to their actions, but unfortunately some people have a lack of it, hence the virus will be with us for a very long time yet unfortunately. 😷
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm But people are not, the parks are full of kids coughing over each other whilst the parents chat on a bench with no social distancing or masks. :pulling hair out:
Well your the only one I've heard who seems to support DCMS but not NCMD who are trying to get detecting on private land allowed whilst complying with Gov rules. Like most others and NCMD I see no negatives with a lone detectorist on private land. Sure we could all stay locked up in our houses forever but that just isn't healthy. As said people just need to apply common sense to their actions, but unfortunately some people have a lack of it, hence the virus will be with us for a very long time yet unfortunately. 😷
Just come back from my foray.... which i videoed - out later on YOUTUBE! - but just for the record, as i was completely solo ( bar the hound) i still heard the near continuous banter from cyclists going past on a nearby road... presumably that is still allowed then!!!!!!! ( and on a different note why do they feel the need to shout at each other all the time??!!)
TheFenTiger

Easylife wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm Well your the only one I've heard who seems to support DCMS but not NCMD who are trying to get detecting on private land allowed whilst complying with Gov rules. Like most others and NCMD I see no negatives with a lone detectorist on private land. Sure we could all stay locked up in our houses forever but that just isn't healthy. As said people just need to apply common sense to their actions, but unfortunately some people have a lack of it, hence the virus will be with us for a very long time yet unfortunately. 😷
I am just supporting the government guidelines. I don't need to go out detecting, I may want to but I don't need to. The government guidance is explicit. You should not be leaving your house unless it is essential. If someone can make a solid case why metal detecting can be classed as essential then go ahead. The more people ignore this, the longer it will carry on.

I have no local permissions so even if detecting is allowed I would not be able to travel to them. Probably the same for a lot of detectorists if they brought in a 5 mile limit like Scotland but I am sure they would ignore it and go anyway. The most common of sense things to do is follow the government guidelines and stay at home. No one HAS to go detecting for exercise or for their mental health. There are plenty of other things people can do to ease mental health issues and to be honest if that is all you rely on for that then widening your options should be something to consider.

It is always a creep. Allow detecting and then people will go to the garage for fuel, go to the shop to buy a sandwich, stop and chat to people wandering past or the landowners. Allow it within a 5 mile radius but people will drive 10 or 20 because they are in their car so feel safe. By allowing people to use common sense allows people to bend the rules to the point of breaking them. I really don't want this virus so I am going to be sensible about it. My land and potential finds have been there for long enough, a few more weeks will make no difference.
Dave
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:52 pm I still heard the near continuous banter from cyclists going past on a nearby road... presumably that is still allowed then!!!!!!! ( and on a different note why do they feel the need to shout at each other all the time??!!)
It's to draw attention so that you can admire their lycras when they are cycling two abreast and holding up traffic, not a good sight for the motorists either! :lol:
Blackadder43

Could i just ask for a moment of calm please
We are in the first few days of restrictions, things are changing very quickly in all sorts of areas

The NCMD and the Angling groups cannot be compared in the same way
One is a voluntary position for the folk that do the work
The other is paid positions for doing the work
One has multi million pound war chest
The other doesnt

We all need to show some support for the work the NCMD are doing behind the scenes, they are all volunteers that are also coping with the other tasks they have to do in life

Lets just give them some breathing space a moment, and refrain from overstepping the mark in what you are personally going to do or are thinking of doing.
Easylife

TheFenTiger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:03 pm I am just supporting the government guidelines. I don't need to go out detecting, I may want to but I don't need to. The government guidance is explicit. You should not be leaving your house unless it is essential.
You don't need to go to the supermarket either as it's not essential because you could get it delivered and reduce risk. But because the Government say you can you do and then go buy petrol too. Is that not hypocritical? :Thinking:
There is no right or wrong. I make decisions based on logic and common sense rather than follow rules regardless as I am not a sheep. Though I am not breaking any rules or saying that anyone should, just agreeing that it is nonsensical to define between public and private land. A hundred individuals can detect on a beach but a solitary one is not allowed to detect alone in a field, but that's okay cos it's the rules! :rollinglaughing:
As said let's just hope that common sense prevails and NCMD get things changed. :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

I see some very good points made from both sides of the fence with this topic ,The Fen Tiger does have a very good point , there will be those who will take advantage and push the boundaries just that little bit further to suit themselves and therein lies the problem . The minority spoiling it for the majority and perhaps this is why the government has taken a broad stance across the whole spectrum and put these restrictions in place .
The opposing arguments I do also understand , they being from a personal perspective and from an individual responsible approach and I too cannot see why one person out on a field miles from anyone should be an issue as long as it is within your locality .
I think the main argument had originated from the initial lockdown rules which did seem a bit topsy turvy , allowing beach and park detecting amongst other recreational users while a lone person could not pursue their hobby .
It does also seem a little unfair from various quarters , we have our own take on things and we are all experiencing some very conflicting views in these very strange times . Some felt that metal detecting was being singled out in fact angling had the same restrictions discussed in a previous post and now the Angling Trust has just managed to have the ban lifted ! It seems at present England is the only country that has banned metal detecting where as the rest of the United Kingdom it is classed as exercise .
TheFenTiger

The thing is it is not just metal detecting being singled out. All sports have been effected apart from walking, running and cycling, seen as the traditional forms of exercise. Plenty of golfers are complaining for the same reasons as detectorist. Gyms are closed which people are saying is effecting their mental health. Game shooting has stopped and there are only 4 weeks left of the season.

I guess the question is should the NCMD be asking for the ban to be lifted or telling their membership to follow guidelines and stay at home? They have to be seen to do something for their membership and will be criticised if they don't whether it is right or wrong. Still no statement from FID though.

As for getting shopping delivered, its ok if you want a delivery at 2am in 3 weeks time but I doubt my milk will last that long and the cat will probably chew my face off in the middle of the night if he runs out of food!
Dave
Saffron

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm Could i just ask for a moment of calm please
We are in the first few days of restrictions, things are changing very quickly in all sorts of areas

The NCMD and the Angling groups cannot be compared in the same way
One is a voluntary position for the folk that do the work
The other is paid positions for doing the work
One has multi million pound war chest
The other doesnt

We all need to show some support for the work the NCMD are doing behind the scenes, they are all volunteers that are also coping with the other tasks they have to do in life

Lets just give them some breathing space a moment, and refrain from overstepping the mark in what you are personally going to do or are thinking of doing.
As BA has said the NCMD / metal detecting and the Angling Trust / fishing cannot be compared in the same way
The BIG differences are -
1) Angling is a "mainline" hobby, Metal detecting is very much a minority hobby. So its easy to see which has most voters and therefore politicians are more likely to listen to.
2) The Angling Trust is a full time paid body with millions of pounds, NCMD is run by volunteers and has a much smaller budget.
3) Angling, largely though sales of tackle / bait and commercial fisheries, contributes a lot to the economy, metal detecting contributes very little.
4) There are a vast number of commercial "day ticket" fisheries that depend on being able to open and with extended closures could fold as a business. Most detectorists detect either on private land or the beach, and there are only one or two commercial groups (which combined would only employ a handful of people).
5) Most of these commercial fisheries and club with lakes rely on being able to get new stock from fish farms and being able to feed the fish so are part of a whole supply chain (all of which pay tax to the government and provide jobs). The stores selling metal detectors are selling imported items (Minelab - Australia, Garrett - USA, XP - France) so there is no supply line to contribute to the UK economy and provide jobs.

But there are some significant similarities, both are mainly individual hobbies (excluding fishing matches / detecting rallys), both are outdoor and easy to follow social distancing rules, both are good for your mental health (allegedly!, loose a big fish at the net / find green waste on a permision might cancel this out!).

So we should consider that the Angling Trust having managed to get the rules changed for fishing as a positive, rather than shout "That is not fair", as the NCMD can now use these significant similarities to our advantage and the fact that the DCMS have changed their mind in favour of fishing makes it much harder for them to try and stick to the original rules for detecting.

However, its been thick freezing fog here all day (its never got above zero at any time), so even if we were allowed out I would decline!.

So for the time being stick to the rules, there are enough people out there who would like to see metal detecting banned do not help them by being irresponsible and going when not allowed. So as BA said support the NCMD who I am sure are working hard behind the scenes on our behalf. While waiting take the chance to clean your kit, sort out and record your finds, check your "I think its junk but not sure" heap out as there might be a really good find hiding in it.

Evan
(obviously that last sentence does not apply to myself :oops: )