Brooch for ID

Steve_JT

Hi All

Due to illness and a few days away (within the rules) last Sunday the 3rd was the first day out detecting of the year, last time out was the 12 Dec 2020 which produced a roman trumpet brooch fragment, a buckle, vessel fragment and a tessera confirmed by an F.L.O. and a chap from Historic England who is a roman expert having a look at some features. More on that at a much later date!

Was only out on the 3rd Jan for three and a half hours as had to pack up as feeling a bit rough possibly out a bit too soon, now off from work again, sent home to self-isolate due to my condition for the foreseeable future, and will be the last until common sense prevails! Typical where I could do with a bit of exercise to get back to full fitness and time on my hands. :pulling hair out:

Any way, found this among some other stuff that I will post up in the next few days, its stumped me a bit, can’t find anything similar but sure it’s a brooch fragment, possibly bottom part, the face is very slightly recessed that may have been enamelled?

There’s a chunky catch which would have held the pin, the arms aren’t uniform and has some age going on the patina, but the catch that is crude but may be more modern, had a good search about to see if I could find the rest but no luck, what are people’s thoughts on it please :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
figgis

My first thought was strip brooch, but my second was is it a brooch at all?. I know the hooky wossname looks for all the world like a catchplate but I get the feeling this is something you need to have in your mitt to get a real feel for.
Easylife

The break looks particularly worn and appears to have had a hole there. :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
the-roman

I must admit, I didn't think it was a brooch either, I just didn't like to be the first to say. my guess would be a harness mount/decoration, but of course I may well be wrong :Thinking: :thumbsup:
Easylife

Okay I'll say it, I thought it looked like the bottom half of a number one! :Thinking: :-?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

I thought it was a part of a sword belt hanger :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve_JT

Thanks everyone, am wondering now if it may be part of a badge of perhaps military origins, anyway one for the FLO to have a hands on look but will probably go down as unknown, just assumed it was a brooch catch and we all know what assumption is :lol:

Cheers, Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein