Antiques Roadshow

Steve_JT

Tonight's episode (43) 17 Jan at around 19:05 A lad found a Boar figurine, found in the lads garden near Cambridge ID'd as roman, told by the John Foster the guy giving it a value of £10,00 to take to a museum, giving some good advice

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Dave The Slave

Yes, i watched that as well, Steve.
Thought Roman virtually straight away.
Expert said it was the best example he had seen.
Interesting that it could have been an everyday ornament back then.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
muddy mick

Dave The Slave wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:06 pm Yes, i watched that as well, Steve.
Thought Roman virtually straight away.
Expert said it was the best example he had seen.
Interesting that it could have been an everyday ornament back then.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
As much as i like the show, the experts often over valuate things and get things wrong, egg on face springs to mind for this so called expert, just seen this posted by a friend on FB, Try £350 for a pair :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poor lads going to come down to earth with a massive bump

https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/ ... bd_r6j5j-s
Saffron

muddy mick wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:52 pm As much as i like the show, the experts often over valuate things and get things wrong, egg on face springs to mind for this so called expert, just seen this posted by a friend on FB, Try £350 for a pair :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poor lads going to come down to earth with a massive bump

https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/ ... bd_r6j5j-s
I saw the show to, and I suspect like most on here that saw it thought "Roman". OK now by Muddy Mick's post it looks as if it might well not be, but I doubt if anybody on here thought "Javanese C14th".

In fairness to the expert he started by saying about there being a lot of fakes and copies, he then said he had concerns about the verdigris, and he said "his gut instinct was Roman" rather than saying it certainly was Roman and even at the end twice said about work being needed to check it out.

Evan
Steve RC

The patination looked dodgy.
muddy mick

Saffron wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:39 am I saw the show to, and I suspect like most on here that saw it thought "Roman". OK now by Muddy Mick's post it looks as if it might well not be, but I doubt if anybody on here thought "Javanese C14th".

In fairness to the expert he started by saying about there being a lot of fakes and copies, he then said he had concerns about the verdigris, and he said "his gut instinct was Roman" rather than saying it certainly was Roman and even at the end twice said about work being needed to check it out.

Evan
Considering the period of antiquities he really loves, he should of delved a bit more, its not like the guests just turn up at the table is it, they obviously decide what they are going to film before hand giving them time to do a bit of research, he did go on to say he thought it was Roman, but if he was unsure why put a ridiculous fig of 10K on it, we could do with him on the TVC :lol: my source came from a writer for The Searcher, maybe he could get a job on the roadshow :lol:
muddy mick

Steve RC wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:09 pm The patination looked dodgy.
mmm Id agree to disagree to a extent, I have found roman fibula brooches that are brown / black in colour as a pose to the rich green patina, it all depends with the acidity of the soil, etc
Steve RC

It looked very much an applied patina on a tourist fake from a 1920's trip to Italy.

On this subject did anyone look at the RB horse brooch which was trumpeted by the media after the launch of the Treasure and PAS reports in December ? It was found at a rally in Lincolnshire and reported to the PAS who classed it as very rare and it represents the type of item to be captured by the proposed new Treasure defintion of " significant item".

The patina looks applied and the item has much bright metal showing as well as being remarkably intact for a ploughsoil item. It is either a modern fake or has been overcleaned. There are many similar items for sale on a well known internet auction site most of which are probably fake.