Floods show civil war fort

Saffron

I thought this article was fascinating.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cam ... e-55707499

I wonder if the floods and waterlogged fields might reveal the location of long lost buildings / settlements in other areas, so if anybody can walk around a local permission (with in the lockdown rules) it might be worth keeping your eyes open.

Currently my one permission is under several feet of water so no help there!.

Evan

Mods: I accept this is bordering "detecting chat" and "snug", so feel free to move to snug if you feel that is more appropriate.
Easylife

I'll stick with Lidar. :-P
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TheFenTiger

I used to live a few hundred metres from there. it is impressive as an earthwork. It looks really good on the 3D lidar.
Dave
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:14 pm I'll stick with Lidar. :-P
...most of where I go the lidar suddenly spikes and whites....#rats
Saffron

Easylife wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:14 pm I'll stick with Lidar. :-P
Easy Life, Lidar is fantastic for the areas that it covers and a resource that I would suggest detectorists use :thumbsup:

However, it does not cover all of the country :thumbdown: . But from watching the TV news it seems that unfortunately the current floods appear to cover a large part of the country.

Additionally locally I know a main road that overlooks a valley, where Lidar shows nothing, however after very heavy rain you can see the original course of what would have been a fairly substantial stream before extensive drainage was put in.

Evan
Easylife

I quite agree, if no Lidar then flood the area and see what shows. :thumbsup: :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 pm I thought this article was fascinating.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cam ... e-55707499

I wonder if the floods and waterlogged fields might reveal the location of long lost buildings / settlements in other areas, so if anybody can walk around a local permission (with in the lockdown rules) it might be worth keeping your eyes open.
I seem to recall a "harbour" feature being found on land associated with Viriconium (Wroxetor). I seem to recall that archeologists had long speculated that the e Romans would have built a harbour or wharf on the River Severn to serve Viriconium, but had not located it because the river had changed its course so much...However, following severe flooding in the area, a large rectangular featured was spotted from the air and this was later identified as the missing harbour/wharf...