Inquests are On

Dave The Slave

Had the usual mail today and poking through the plastic window of the envelope could see the word Coroner.
Opening up it was to say about an inquest being held remotely in 3 weeks time about 3 BA items, reported as a possible dispersed hoard in April 2019.
There is the option to attend remotely via video link, also a couple of questions about did i have permission to be on the land and was there any other agreement for the Finder to be on the land. Which would cover a rally.

Sort of shot myself in the foot with this one.
Took several items in to record. Two of those being an Awl, which is my favourite ever find and part of a blade. Had i just taken those 2 they would have been recorded and returned and the Awl would have had pride of place by the Computer.
Where i went wrong unknowingly, also took along a piece of waste to check it was Bronze.
As soon as that came out, FLO had to report it as potential Treasure and possible scattered hoard.

So there we have it, paperwork has been filled in and sent back.
See what happens, as there is a request to acquire from a Museum.

Anyone else who has items in the Treasure process, keep an eye on your mail.

Good Luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Emily

So a piece of waste bronze has potentially ruined it?? Why if it was just scrap?? Was there something special about it?? I’d love to see the Awl. Is there a post about it??
Live long and prospect
Dave The Slave

Emily wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:51 pm So a piece of waste bronze has potentially ruined it?? Why if it was just scrap?? Was there something special about it?? I’d love to see the Awl. Is there a post about it??
Three pieces of Prehistoric metal i think it is classed as and was unaware of that myself.
Here is the Awl 42mm x 5.5mm. Weight 4.3g
The blade piece,Image
and the casting waste was pretty non descript.
Dave. :thumbsup:
tone

Look's very similar to a votive palstave ?
Easylife

I might hear something soon about my 2019 treasure item then? :Thinking:
Nice awl, have you decided what to spend the fiver on yet Dave? :?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
jcmaloney

Dave The Slave wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:48 pm Had the usual mail today and poking through the plastic window of the envelope could see the word Coroner.
Opening up it was to say about an inquest being held remotely in 3 weeks time about 3 BA items, reported as a possible dispersed hoard in April 2019.
There is the option to attend remotely via video link, also a couple of questions about did i have permission to be on the land and was there any other agreement for the Finder to be on the land. Which would cover a rally.

Sort of shot myself in the foot with this one.
Took several items in to record. Two of those being an Awl, which is my favourite ever find and part of a blade. Had i just taken those 2 they would have been recorded and returned and the Awl would have had pride of place by the Computer.
Where i went wrong unknowingly, also took along a piece of waste to check it was Bronze.
As soon as that came out, FLO had to report it as potential Treasure and possible scattered hoard.

So there we have it, paperwork has been filled in and sent back.
See what happens, as there is a request to acquire from a Museum.

Anyone else who has items in the Treasure process, keep an eye on your mail.

Good Luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
If they were found in the same area then they would qualify as Treasure by association. Them`s the rules.
Inquests haven`t stopped at all, the ones for dead folk are part of my day job.
However some coroners are quicker to adapt to tech than others. :thumbsup:
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.
alloverover

Strangely, the last couple of awls, just like yours, ive shown to the PAS and they wouldnt record them because they were saying there are no diagnostic features to put them in a specific period as similar items were used throught history :roll: :roll: :thumbsup:
DaveP

I'm lucky in that I have a very active FLO but even before Covid I very rarely saw him. I just send him an email with some pictures and, in essence say, record or not? If he says record then I follow a format, send in more pictures and all the details (size, weight etc,) and about 3 days later it's on the PAS.

Even with a treasure item there was no rush to get it to him. Emailed with details, he made a record and informed the coroner in order to meet the legal obligation.

It would be good to see him now and then but he has limited time and 99% of the stuff we can do by email.