2001 Foot and Mouth outbreak.

bob79

Just thinking about the foot and mouth outbreak that ravished the countryside in 2001.
The first case was detected at an abattoir in Essex on 19th February , over 2,000 cases were confirmed over the period of the disease with 6 million animals being slaughtered to stop the spread.
All public rights of way across land were closed by order, metal detecting was banned for what seemed an eternity.
Anyone on here got any memories of this period.
Kenleyboy

bob79 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:00 pm Just thinking about the foot and mouth outbreak that ravished the countryside in 2001.
The first case was detected at an abattoir in Essex on 19th February , over 2,000 cases were confirmed over the period of the disease with 6 million animals being slaughtered to stop the spread.
All public rights of way across land were closed by order, metal detecting was banned for what seemed an eternity.
Yes I remember it well and fishing was also banned in certain areas . If memory serves me well any angling needing access through land that had cattle was totally banned . I recall having to cancel a planned trip which a group of us had been looking forward to for months and that was the end of that trip like so many others .
Easylife

bob79 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:00 pm Anyone on here got any memories of this period.
I spent that year in Australia and they kept FMD out.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

bob79 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:00 pm Just thinking about the foot and mouth outbreak that ravished the countryside in 2001.
It was said to have originated in a farm in the North of England somewhere, caused by the farmer feeding untreated swill to his pigs...However there was also a conspiracy theory going around that Porton Down subsequently found a vial of the same strain of the virus unaccounted for and "missing" from its stocks in the weeks before the outbreak began....This theory gained traction because government officials from MAF were known to be sourcing large amounts of surplus wooden railway sleepers and telephone poles in "case there was an outbreak of FMD" in the weeks prior to the outbreak becoming public...it was passed off as some sort of contingency planning but it was all very coincedental.

At the time I was doing a lot of deer stalking, which obviously came to a halt. There were major concerns that FMD would find its way into the wild deer populations and again rumor had it large deer culls took place in Cumbria but the whole thing was supposedly covered up...
muddy mick

Remember it well to the point of going beach detecting for the 1st time ever, and several times more only to be bored senseless, a few months passed and i called into one of my permissions and the landowner asked where we had been, err what the foot and mouth i said, He said we could of gone detecting anytime we had wanted as he didnt have Livestock, calling in at a few other permissions again without livestock, I was told the same by the landowners, so for months we,d been going on the poxy beach for nowt :cry: :cry:
Going one further, the saddest thing was all the millions of cattle etc, that were exterminated :cry: :cry: It was a very sad sight seeing them on the news every night being shot / cremated etc :cry:
Jamesey1981

I remember the smell of burning pork from the fires they were using to burn the infected pigs, pretty grim.

Didnt detect back then, but I do remember the conspiracy theory, not something I thought was that plausible, I have seen documentaries about Porton Down and even the stuff they were able to show (and that will be by no means all of what they have there!) gave the impression that if anyone there was careless enough to lose anything we would all have been wiped out years ago, apart from the biological agents they also have sarin and VX, there's some scary stuff in vaults there and if they were careless we'd be extinct!
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
the-roman

I remember it well. bloody nightmare at the time. I think I was using a fisher 1265x back then as well. seemed like a an eternity before we could get back out again and when we did I remember having to step into a bowl of some chemical before going onto some of the fields. :thumbsup:
Pete E

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:24 am I remember the smell of burning pork from the fires they were using to burn the infected pigs, pretty grim.

Didnt detect back then, but I do remember the conspiracy theory, not something I thought was that plausible, I have seen documentaries about Porton Down and even the stuff they were able to show (and that will be by no means all of what they have there!) gave the impression that if anyone there was careless enough to lose anything we would all have been wiped out years ago, apart from the biological agents they also have sarin and VX, there's some scary stuff in vaults there and if they were careless we'd be extinct!
As I recall, the theory went was that a vial of FMD was stolen by someone at the lab connected with Animal Rights Extremists...In hindsight if anything was stolen it was more likely to have been from either the Governments Institute of Animal Health or another associated lab, both located near Pirbright.One or both of these were also associated with the 2007 FMD outbreak thought to have been caused by a faulty drain that both facilities used to discharged effluent...

What was startling about the 2001 was the speed at which it initially spread. The 2007 outbreak in contrast was brought under control more or less immediately, and the carnage and horror of the 2001 outbreak was avoided..
Emily

I vaguely remember it due to living in the countryside and seeing it on the news, but I was only 9, so in truth, I wasn’t paying much attention. 🤷‍♀️
Live long and prospect
Steve RC

Yes i recall it well and the fact that even with the travel restrictions in place then some individuals still went out detecting. Nothing changes.
Jamesey1981

Pete E wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:08 pm As I recall, the theory went was that a vial of FMD was stolen by someone at the lab connected with Animal Rights Extremists...In hindsight if anything was stolen it was more likely to have been from either the Governments Institute of Animal Health or another associated lab, both located near Pirbright.One or both of these were also associated with the 2007 FMD outbreak thought to have been caused by a faulty drain that both facilities used to discharged effluent...

What was startling about the 2001 was the speed at which it initially spread. The 2007 outbreak in contrast was brought under control more or less immediately, and the carnage and horror of the 2001 outbreak was avoided..
If it was another lab that would sound more plausible, and when it comes to animal rights extremists they often don't plan ahead, thats why mink are busy wiping out our native wildlife. I doubt it would have been Porton Down though, the staff there will have been through developed vetting, had a mate going though that to work as a prison guard and it's scarily thorough, I was a character reference and I was interviewed for it, not something I would look forward to doing again!
They literally interviewed his associates from 25 years ago, pulled apart his military record, all his social media, every employer, old photo albums, the lot.

Withe the spread, I'm no expert but I would assume they caught it quicker the second time as everyone involved knew what to look for, the last time would have been fresh in farmers minds and I doubt they would have wanted to take any chances.

That said, if it did get pinched out of a lab I would definitely expect it to be kept quiet! Suppose we'll never know for sure, if it was pinched denying it is plausible enough that it would likely be the end of it.

shaggybfc

I was doing a bit of travelling to France when this happened. On arrival in France off the ferry, having to drive through troughs of disinfectant, and ruining shoes by having to stepping in it. The customs official then searched the car, checking for shoes with soil on them. I remember him getting quite animated as I'd taken some corned beef sandwiches with me to eat on the journey.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

Jamesey1981 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:07 pm That said, if it did get pinched out of a lab I would definitely expect it to be kept quiet! Suppose we'll never know for sure, if it was pinched denying it is plausible enough that it would likely be the end of it.
Eventually a pig farmer got the blame and was prosecuted; it pretty much ruined him as a recall. I would therefore like to think all the conspiracy theories were wrong otherwise it means an innocent man was effectively stitched up over it...
Jamesey1981

Pete E wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:43 pm Eventually a pig farmer got the blame and was prosecuted; it pretty much ruined him as a recall. I would therefore like to think all the conspiracy theories were wrong otherwise it means an innocent man was effectively stitched up over it...
Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened, but I am inclined to agree with you, I usually don't give much credence to conspiracy theories, apart from anything else, you only need to look at all the leaks around lockdowns and changes in rules to see how bad the government are at keeping secrets!

Ladybird66

Strange how some things stick in the memory. That’s one I remember well.
We’d just moved to a very rural area of Wales. The main reason ? House and land prices.
At last I had my own grazing and miles of riding. NOT ,!
I didn’t detect back then but I did ride, when allowed. I remember how frustrating it all was.

I also remember a previous Out-break when I was in my teens. Must have been some time in the early 1960’s or late 1950’s. I used to look after my 2 little cousins on Saturdays and walked from where I lived. Along a canal and across some fields to where they lived. The route took me past a field with a huge pit dug into it and I can still remember the stink of burning flesh and the dense black smoke that chocked you if the wind was in the wrong direction.

Much later I can remember a swine flu out break. Now that was a time to remember when I was in the butchery trade. No Pork as we normally had it. All the adults were slaughtered and disposed of but not the little ones. Obviously they were slaughtered as well but allowed to go through the food chain. Sucking pig on the menu. Never tasted pork like it before or since.