eyes only bottle finds

Kenleyboy

Back out on my regular dog walk this later afternoon , sun was actually shining and it was relatively warm and once again my intention was to have a scan about and see if I could locate some more fossils . The finds spot from yesterday proved to be devoid of anymore fossils so I moved on with my two in tow .
I decided to have a change of direction and head up to what was once known as Hill Farm which no longer exists and the original farm was torn down many years ago but it had an impressive view of the surrounding landscape from its hill top vantage point and I often wonder what brought the demise of a once thriving Farm but as with everything , places change even in rural areas . We know locally there were a number of small farms and cottages now long gone . The fields also were much smaller than they are today , most were averaging ten acre fields heavily bordered with dense hedgerows but with the onslaught of the farming recession between the wars , many small farms could not survive and were forced to sell up very cheaply to the outside money men . Now we see vast open fields with intense agriculture in place , not ideal but no point living in the past and I would much rather see what I can look at now rather than concrete . Apparently at one time in its hey day it was all fruit farming and I have been told by some of the older locals it was a sea of orchards full of blossom as far as the eye could see , that must have been quite an impressive sight .
On my way up the jets were doing their acrobatics , the noise form the after burn sends my two whippets nuts but once gone they had left their mark scorched into the blue sky .
20210202_155533_resized[2813].jpg
I finally reached the old farm area which is now a huge concrete lorry turning area and where they stack the hay bales , I imagine this concrete base covers the old foundations of the original house and what was left over was very neatly landscaped into a long mound and acts as a windbreak as the wind when it gets up is a bit heavy up on this spot . I have walked past this long mound of neatly compacted rubble many times but never in winter . The summer months see it full of nettles and bramble so I have never bothered too much to take a closer look , but now it was devoid of any plants and I could see the compacted soil , bricks , lumps of iron and flint , the last remnants of what must have been quite an impressive farm building . The dogs stopped for a sniff about which gave me time to scan the mound and I spotted some promising signs which were fragments of crockery and then this little bottle poking out amongst the soil and brick .
20210202_161035_resized[2814].jpg
It was only a screw top from the late 30s or 40s but still a promising sign and enough to get me scanning a lot more intensely . Not an easy task tethered to a pair of feisty and bored whippets but I cannot let them off lead here because of the hares and deer and the boy is whippet cross , so more of a Lurcher and he would have no trouble chasing a Deer down and tipping it over and then its game over and I could do without the grief . So its a little bit limiting to what I can and cannot do but its easier with dogs when you are poking about , it doesnt look too suspicious to anyone passing by . I have found a few bottle tips with my dogs , its great because it allows me to have a snoop without looking like some odd fellow on his own in the woods !
Most of it was screw top bottles but I am sure there must be some earlier items within the pile but it would take a lot of effort and of course permission to dig so I will have to enjoy what my eyes can see .
20210202_162537_resized[2816].jpg
20210202_163228_resized[2817].jpg
20210202_181448_resized[2821].jpg
The best item was the French ceramic Caviar base with two opposing lion heads , quite a posh little number so the farmer ate well or perhaps it was a treat as this stuff was quite expensive . The big Bovril is late 20s , no screw lid and very collectible amongst those into kitchenalia and will go in my bulk box as will the California Fig Syrup bottle , quite common but the age is all around late 20s and 30s . Not bad for a few hours , no digging just eyes only .
The spoil heap , about six feet high the same in width and about 50 foot long
Attachments
20210202_163530_resized[2818].jpg
Dave The Slave

Enjoyed reading that, Paul.
Great photos.
Have been lucky enough to find a couple of dumping places for bottles etc via eyes only.
Hope fully you can get permission.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

haha that conjured up a great image of a burly man, holding 2 whippets and poking around in the dirt......
My dog has a habit of picking an inopportune time to try to leg it to chase a squirrel or summat and almost having me over :lol:

Worth a more extensive investigation there as those old farms would have had a tip i imagine.... :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:02 pm haha that conjured up a great image of a burly man, holding 2 whippets and poking around in the dirt......
My dog has a habit of picking an inopportune time to try to leg it to chase a squirrel or summat and almost having me over :lol:

Worth a more extensive investigation there as those old farms would have had a tip i imagine.... :thumbsup:
Plenty of mice running in and out holes in the spoil heap to have me being pulled all over the place :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Wonderful finds. Hope you get the chance to properly investigate. You’ve educated me enough to know the older stuff is lower down so there might be some real gems if you get to dig down. I wish my dog walks were that interesting!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking