How often does this happen....?

HolzHammer

As I say in my upcoming video for which I was filming in the wet today, certainly less often than not but still......

Afternoon All,
As stated, out in the rain ( training the hound to find hammered silver!) with nothing much to report when I found this next to the path as I wandered home having had enough and wet through.... I have never found anything Roman in the area on many previous sallies.

I had just been chatting this morning to a friend who I have been advising, as he has recently taken up (and become hooked on) metal detecting, about how not to rely just on research and to in fact search everywhere you are able whether there is "history" there or not. Obviously you are going to find roman coins on a villa site and medieval where there has been heavy Medieval activity etc. etc. but that doesn't mean you neglect the places that have very little, if not any, recorded activity. When I think about it, almost all my significant finds have been in areas I have found very little else in!

So how often do you find something wonderful as you are packing it all in in a huff and where you have never found anything before? Well not more often than not but I bet more than you'd expect!!!

All the B
Alexander

P.S Caear Augustus Denarius Comet Type ( I think....!)
Attachments
AVW_1898.jpeg
AVW_1897.jpeg
Dave The Slave

Not seen that design before, Alex.
Well found, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Oooooh, very nice find my man.... :clapping:
And it does go to show that any find can turn up in any place
I suppose you have to think that 1700 to 1800 years ago then the land you are on would have looked significantly different and may have had totally different uses than just open fields of today...

You hear a tonne of stories of folk who have found their best find of the day whilst walking back to the car, maybe we are not so selective of the signal if we have had a non finds day and dig almost any signal on the way back?

Oh and dont forget to invite your friend to pop along to the hub to say hi too....bit of shameless plugging there :lol:
Jamesey1981

I found my silver unit on a club day where half the members had already left and the rest were moaning about foil, that was the only nice find that day.

We have all had days where we find naff all, but we keep going, and that's why we find stuff.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
alloverover

Wonderful coin to find that one, really got a story behind it unlike most bog standard denarii, well done :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

alloverover wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:24 pm Wonderful coin to find that one, really got a story behind it unlike most bog standard denarii, well done :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:
I’ve just been reading about the last days of the Republic so even more poignant!
alloverover

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:56 pm I’ve just been reading about the last days of the Republic so even more poignant!
Strange how things happen, ive had many a similar coincidence in metal detecting over the years, seem to remember I did a post on another forum about them years ago :thumbsup:
Easylife

An excellent find Alexander. :thumbsup:
On a pasture field which I had pretty well hammered over many occasions it had only thrown up Victorian at best. I have to cross this field to access others so take different lines as the mood fancies, and one day the first and only hammy showed. But my biggest surprise there was when I happened to swing the coil into the hedge bottom and got a sweet signal, from just 4" deep a silver Roman siliqua of Arcadius emerged, I was quite amazed and just sat down looking at it for a while. It didn't even need a clean!

But it just goes to show, most of any lands historical activity went unwritten and whilst research is interesting it often does not help to locate finds as anything can be just anywhere! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Look at the amount of significant finds have led to discoveries of important new info on Roman settlements that aren’t visible above ground, even on Lidar. You might have found a Roman hotspot. Or maybe it’s just a random loss.

Either way isn’t it lovely to find a great find where you least expect it :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 pm Look at the amount of significant finds have led to discoveries of important new info on Roman settlements that aren’t visible above ground, even on Lidar.
Or even by geophysics like this one down your way!
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... e-iron-age
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 pm
But it just goes to show, most of any lands historical activity went unwritten and whilst research is interesting it often does not help to locate finds as anything can be just anywhere! :thumbsup:

EXACTLY!
(wonderful coin btw)
HolzHammer

Dave The Slave wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:16 pm Not seen that design before, Alex.
Well found, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Thanks Dave
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 pm Look at the amount of significant finds have led to discoveries of important new info on Roman settlements that aren’t visible above ground, even on Lidar. You might have found a Roman hotspot. Or maybe it’s just a random loss.

Either way isn’t it lovely to find a great find where you least expect it :D
Thanks Cath... it is uncanny how often it happens when you least expect it or when you are writing it off as yet aniother shotgun cap....!
figgis

HolzHammer wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 pm So how often do you find something wonderful as you are packing it all in in a huff and where you have never found anything before?
A few times, but the most notable occasion was the exact reverse situation: I walked onto a field I'd not detected before and one of the first diggable signals was a Septimius Severus denarius. Ho yus, Johnny boy, you're going to fill yer boots here, I thought but after that first find... nuffink. Not a sausage. I've been over it a few times since and the only thing it's thrown at me was a kettle. :thumbdown:
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:51 am A few times, but the most notable occasion was the exact reverse situation: I walked onto a field I'd not detected before and one of the first diggable signals was a Septimius Severus denarius. Ho yus, Johnny boy, you're going to fill yer boots here, I thought but after that first find... nuffink. Not a sausage. I've been over it a few times since and the only thing it's thrown at me was a kettle. :thumbdown:
I’ve had that too! Best find was the first signal then Narnia took over and nothing :thumbdown:
Sometimes though these fields do come back to life when they choose too :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking