Another few hours out .

Kenleyboy

Back out again this afternoon on the land and what glorious weather , beaming sunshine , good firm soil and armed with my new toy , life is grand . Before the "off" I was having a pm discussion with one of our esteemed mods about settings for the hot programme , all advice duly taken and before we signed off I was urged to check a particular area out on my permission . It was a good call because to be truthful I didnt have any real plan today , just glad to be out and about and was toying with the idea of just a leisurely stroll around the fields . However , this remark was enough to settle my mind on what to do for the afternoon and made my mind up .

The downside of this particular spot is that it is festooned with irritating lumps of silver foil which really give off a great signal , they sound so good and very uplifting and that ever hopeful feeling is soon dashed as yet another clump of compressed foil is dug out of the soil . Despite this mishap I have had some nice bits and pieces from this area but generally I tend to avoid it depending on my mood but it gets very little attention in general . With the sun shining , the prospect of lighter evenings affording me time out I decided to give it a go for a few hours until my temperament could take it no more . It was a battle , I think I had at least a dozen or more really good signals and as predicted ended up being the dreaded foil and when I did finally manage something a little more substantial in the shape of a plain tombac button , I was at least relieved that after all there is something else on offer and hope is always around the corner .

I persevered and thought I would do a few more lines and then perhaps if things do not improve then move on elsewhere as there was still plenty of the afternoon left . One signal was the game changer although to begin with it was another eye rolling moment when the signal gave off that typical diggable sound that ended in a huge disappointed sigh as yet another clump of foil gave into the coil . To be totally proved wrong is an understatement and when I finally managed to find this little beauty tangled in amongst the roots of the barley crop and I had to whisper to myself that "the girl was right , this was a good area to go on "! .
20210228_185842[3240]cut half 1.jpg
20210228_185907[3241]cut half 2.jpg
With all the disappointments before me , this made it all good again and now I was damned if I was going to move on , advice taken and it was time to stick this one out .
I get plenty of buttons on a regular basis , most are plain tombac types and now I just popped them in the pocket of my carry bag and scoop the lot into a tin when home , if they are in poor condition then they go into the scrap bucket but every now and again you get the odd few which are actually quite nice and I had three which were a little more favourable than the usual types and earned their place in the finds tin . Two of them were nicely decorated and gold gilt and looked quite pretty while the other one was octagon with some central engraving , never had one like that before which made a change . These types of unusual buttons I dont mind finding , something a little different .

Despite the foil it was a busy area with all sorts coming up , buttons , shotgun shells , bits of lead and buttons , all diggable signals but huge let downs but at least I was busy and still feeling good and even more so when a neat little rose farthing showed itself in amongst it all . I have only had one other from here but I knew what it was straight away just by its odd shape and the tiny rose emblem in the centre , neat little coin .
A cup of tea and a snack was on the cards , the sun was hotting up and off came the jacket and down went the bag on the edge of the field and time to rest up for a bit and enjoy the wonderful weather and surroundings . It was deathly quiet , not a single sound not even from the birds and it makes you realise that before the cars and planes etc , those people before us experienced this exact same thing , utter silence and even in these strange lockdown times , it is pretty well much the same here most of the time except for the odd car going past on the far off lane , but thats all , in general it is always quiet other than the hum of insects droning past here and there .
With tea break over it was time to grab the last few hours before home and I was favoured on last good find which really took me by surprise especially after wading through the rubbish . A good hour had passed when I got a really good strong piercing signal , it was hopeful and sounded just a little different than the usually foil but I have been tricked many times before with those damn ring pulls so I wasnt expecting too much but again another hammered coin , this one a little worse for wear but seriously welcomed all the same .
20210228_185940[3242]worn hammered 1.jpg
20210228_190007[3243]worn hammerred 2.jpg
By now the afternoon and evening was drawing to a close , it had been a really good if a little frustrating hunt , but I learned a great deal from this one session and sometimes you have just got to stick it out . It doesnt always pay off but it did for me and once again , very grateful to be able to be out and about and enjoying what the hobby has to offer .

The better stuff .
20210228_190036_resized[3245]cleaned finds.jpg
The usual stuff .
20210228_190118_resized[3246]the pile.jpg
Easylife

The perseverance paid off. :thumbsup:
Looks like a Mary I?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Great write up on a great day :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

I used to have one of those ID bracelets back in the 70s. If I remember right, it came from Woolworths and they engraved it as well :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

Well your perseverance is better than mine, I think I would have moved on. But two hammies in one session is your just (and very well deserved) reward :Star:

Glad you enjoyed your day. The quiet permissions are so lovely when it comes to being in nature. I have a couple like that. Nothing but the sound of nature and it’s really lovely isn’t it :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

*slaps himself with a wet trout*

I was sure i had commented on this session, but obviously me ole memory aint what it used to be :shock:
Now, what was we saying?
Oh yes....looks like the new deus is finding the hidden coins on your land
well done fella, nice double hammy and your thread title doesnt do that justice
Dave The Slave

Something strange going on here. :?:
Paul, i normally log off by 7pm, therefore i have grown used to reading your posts on a Monday morning before i go out detecting. I always
" Thank " immediately but sometimes leave an actual reply to later in the afternoon after i have come home and re read your post in more detail. As i can`t travel to detect until the 29th at the earliest, spent a lot of time on the Hub yesterday and did not see this post. Also notice, no replies were made yesterday. :?
Back to your post, lots of interesting finds, even without the Hammies, would have been pleased with the rest of your haul.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm Something strange going on here. :?:
Paul, i normally log off by 7pm, therefore i have grown used to reading your posts on a Monday morning before i go out detecting. I always
" Thank " immediately but sometimes leave an actual reply to later in the afternoon after i have come home and re read your post in more detail. As i can`t travel to detect until the 29th at the earliest, spent a lot of time on the Hub yesterday and did not see this post. Also notice, no replies were made yesterday. :?
Back to your post, lots of interesting finds, even without the Hammies, would have been pleased with the rest of your haul.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Bit of an odd one . I had repeat notifcations on this thread which I could have sworn I had thanked previously . :Thinking:
Steve_JT

What a lovely selection, and a couple of hammies :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein