What is it with people?.

Saffron

If you do not like rants please do not read!.

A neighbour phoned to ask if by any chance I was going shopping this afternoon as she was out of milk (it is 2miles to our nearest shop), I was not but as sun was shining thought I could have an hour or so detecting and get her some milk.

Go to what could "in theory" be a good permission, although its not lived up to that so far. As its a livery yard / ridding stables and they are shut due to lockdown thought it rather unfair to drive to the yard and try the better fields near the buildings, so park down the road in a layby and try a field between the road and a large stream.

Straight away get a great signal ... bottle top!. Start following the roadside hedge, drinks can, drinks can, drinks can. Soon give up and move a bit further out in to the field and notice a fair bit of rubbish and paper led around so pick it up as recently there have been several cases locally where horses and livestock have been killed by eating rubbish or food that they were given and was not suitable.

No sign of any finds so head along the stream, pick up 3 plastic bottles that had been left on the bank after the recent floods, and a deodorant spray can!, and dig 2 more drinks cans.

Not a long session, about 1 1/2 hrs, but my finds pouch is bulging with rubbish that people have thrown out or just dropped.

This was never the case in my youth, and it certainly seems to be much worse recently with more people (not local coutry folk) out in the countryside during lockdown. What is it with people?.

As for finds ... zero. Only slight consolation is that the fields are now safer for the horses.

At least my neighbour can now have her cornflakes in the morning as I got her milk on the way back home.

Evan
Oxgirl

Evan I’m with you on the litter problem. Noticed it as I walked to mypermission today too. Loads of bottles and cans thrown into the ditch and roadside by passing vehicles. It’s disgraceful :thumbdown:

If it’s any help I did 3 hours today with 3 musket balls and 3 buttons plus a load of lead to show for it :(
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

I have litter with a passion.When I lived in my previous house, we were unlucky enough to have a McDonalds built about 3/4 mile away, and all the local scroates would buy their Big Mac's and drive to our lane to park up and eat. Of course taking their litter home or putting it in a bin was too much trouble so they would just throw it out of the car window! :evil:
Steve_JT

Agree and right to have a rant, I hate it too, the most annoying is when there's a bin nearby the so and so's don't even use it, I have had a go at those I've seen drop rubbish, they know I mean business when their challenged

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Easylife

I've noticed more litter about in certain places locally. The river bank is probably by far the worst for it. Countryside footpaths don't seem too bad. But urban grass verges seem to be a prime spot for the younger folk to chuck their litter. Even if there were more bins I don't think it would make too much difference as many people really just do not think at all!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

I hate litter and those that do litter. Every Sunday morning, early, I go out litter picking when walking the dogs. I always come back with several kilos of rubbish. I have been known to, (and my wife was mortified when I did), accost people that litter. I once saw some scroats throw some rubbish out of their car window, so I stopped, picked it up and chased down their car until they stopped. I walked up to the passenger side, where it was thrown from, knocked on the window, and proceeded to empty the McDonalds bag onto their lap, said a few choice words, and left. I was so angry, I did think about the dangers about what I did. There were 4 young lads in the car. I'm not a big imposing chap, and you never know what kids carry these days, so in hindsight I shouldn't have done it, and as my wife keeps telling me, "you're an old man these days"... I've done it twice since then as well :D
I'm fortunate enough to live in a rural environment, and I won't let 'townies' spoil it.
I like a good rant :D :D
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

Love a good rant :thumbsup:
One evening I was behind a car stuck in traffic not far from where used to live . I could see the silhouette of the driver and passenger quite clearly and I watched the driver take a few final swigs of drink from a plastic bottle and then lob it out the window onto the road . It really annoyed me so I got out my car , picked up the bottle and walked to the drivers side . I handed the bottle to a young girl and said "I think you dropped this !" . I was met with a volley of foul language from her and the passenger . When I leant in a little further to see who the other gobby girl was she reeled back in horror , it was my neighbours Daughter :D I have never seen anyone backtrack with a volley of apologies and embarrassment :lol: I never did tell her parents who I know would have been very angry .
Bors

The reason we have such litter louts about the UK is there isn`t enough law enforcement to be able to put a stop to it. From Street patrols to judicial courts not imposing hard enough sentences on or when or IF even anyone is ever prosecuted ,(which I should imagine is pretty negligible ) the litter louts know this ,hence they discard litter freely and without any shame whatsoever.

Mind you if you think we`ve got litter louts? Spare a thought of concern & disgust towards the Balkan people of such places as Serbia /Montenegro/ Bosnia , where litter discarding into their lakes & Rivers is almost a past time for most of them.These photos show plastic & other garbage floating on there Lakes & rivers so yes the photo`s tell the story of how bad it is there & I really fear for this Planet when I see this type of behaviour >>>
Attachments
Balkans.jpg
Balkans.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 725 times
TUE_SERBIAN_LAKE_THUMB_120121.jpg
197255902_AP21005706098644_t1000.jpg
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
shaggybfc

I've spent a bit of time in Toronto (circa 2001- the cleanest place I've ever been. Even dropping a cigarette but is not acceptable there. It's a cultural thing.... it's what society accepts and doesn't accept. It's not many years ago when society accepted that women were the inferior sex, (some counties they still do), the colour of your skin would stop you getting a job or being served into a shop and workplace sexual harassment was common place.... times change - we just need to keep making littering one of these unacceptable things in society - something I don't think I'll see in my life time, but eventually it will......
I think as I've grown older, I have become more intolerant to poor attitudes / bad behaviour
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

Many years ago we were given the rights to run a small syndicate of anglers on a private stretch of river on a very pretty Hertfordshire Estate . The Landowner was fed up with the amount of rubbish dumped in and along the banks of the river mostly by locals who had access to the land by way of a public footpath . With a small club now policing the river banks we could maintain the river and keep control of the rubbish by clearing it . It was a long drawn out task even more so when we had to ask poachers to leave as they did not have permission to fish . Most of them were kids but a few adults who were the ones that could be quite difficult and aggressive .
Our approach to the children poaching was different and we allowed them to fish for the rest of the day and to apply for membership etc , however this softly , softly approach didnt really work . One evening a few mates and I were making our way back along the river and we bumped into three young teenage lads who were settling down to fish and were also sporting a large cache of cans of beer . They were not members but we gave them a chance and told them to enjoy their evening and explained the reason why non members are not allowed to fish anymore due to the amount of rubbish left behind . We were prepared to turn a blind eye and let them have their evenings fishing and no doubt a boozy one . We just asked that when they packed up to leave would they take all their rubbish with them and they promised they would .
We kind of knew they wouldnt comply and our suspicions were correct . When we returned in the morning they had chucked 30 odd empty beer cans into the river and left all their rubbish strewn across the bankside . That was the end of the softly, softly approach , it took five more years to finally get the message across to these people , threats of violence etc but in the end we finally manged to take control and stop the rubbish dumping .
What this scenario proved to me was that this was not the odd one or two people but a collective group of members of the public , young and old alike who simply did not care , and a poor representation of the public attitude as a whole as far as rubbish dumping . :thumbdown:
Pete E

If you see how some people live in their own homes, it's hardly surprising they are not bothered about how the countryside looks...
maylandmanta

Sounds like you were in my dearest neighbours garden - that looks more like a landfill site with its own bottle bank as well !! (URGH) :-x :-x :-x :pulling hair out:
HolzHammer

God how annoying for you - sorry Evan - but I enjoyed reading as I love a good rant!