10x5 coiltek

DaveP

I'll be interested in your review. Can I ask you look at it from two points of view please. First, usability, ergonomics etc. If it's a more enjoyable experience then that's worth knowing. Second, actual detection performance. There are loads of videos, including the latest from Unearthed, that just show it hits the targets that the standard coil already finds. If that's the case then so be it but it would be good to know if it cleans up the difficult targets or finds things the standard coil doesn't. It all helps in deciding whether to shell out a couple of hundred especially if it's just for pleasure.
:thumbsup:
I-Rutus

Ok, let me have a go...

The first part of your question is easy, and comes down to whether you prefer a large or smaller coil? My preference is for a smaller coil, and with the elliptical shape, I have made no secret about this, and have called on minelab to give us this since the Nox first came out.
So in that respect I am a happy man.

Now your second point...

"Second, actual detection performance."

This is almost an impossible question to answer, let me explain why.
First you need two Equinoxes running identical settings, not the best setting for either machine, so right away the performance is compromised.
Next you have to take into account swing speed, also to make a fair comparison neither person swinging a detector can know that a target is in the ground at a given point. Because as we all know, if you know there is a target at a given spot, you change the way you swing over the target.

I bought the 10x5 coil because I wanted an elliptical coil, pure and simple, I will never know if it performs better than my standard 11" coil, but I suspect it won't, I would think the depth will be very slightly less, and the ground coverage will also be slightly lower, but the enjoyment of swinging a smaller more balanced coil all day, will be higher. We shall see.πŸ€”πŸ˜Ž
DaveP

Thanks for the reply and agree with all you say. If I see someone swinging the coil I'll ask for a try. I'm not unhappy with the feel of the standard coil but you never know what you're missing until you give it a go.
Pete E

I-Rutus wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:51 am "Given the issues with the ML lugs, what are your thoughts on this?"

Considering the fact that my Nox is now over three years old, and nothing has broken in all that time, I see no reason to worry myself over this supposed issue, I still have the opinion that this fault is user related in some way.
I personally have never seen a broken nox coil up close, but I suspect the damage is caused by over tightening the coil bolt.
The lugs on the minelab coil lugs seems to suffer quite a bit from failure, and to my untrained eye, the plastic looks fairly thin...the lugs on my Racer are far beefier than my Nox and it has only been my Nox that have broken do far, although in fairness the circumstances of that break were far from clear and may have been down to outside influences so to speak...
Also you have to remember that these are Coiltek coils, and not Minelab, so why would anybody think that they would be the same?
I am interested in getting a 15 " coil but would only do so if it offered a noticeable improvement over the 15" ML version.

My concern is that looking at pictures of the 15" coil, and from initial reports, Coiltek appear to be using about the same gauge plastic for the lugs.

Now the lugs themselves are apparently bigger over all, but whether this will be a noticeable improvement, I don't know...I guess time will tell.

Also, as yet, there are no after market coil lug stiffener / repair widgets available, but I am sure that will change in due course...
I-Rutus

"My concern is that looking at pictures of the 15" coil, and from initial reports, Coiltek appear to be using about the same gauge plastic for the lugs."

Does that mean it is also the same plastic with the same properties?

I would be interested to know how many Noxes have been sold in the UK, and what percentage of those sales resulted in a broken coil lug?

The unhappy voices are always the loudest, because the thousands of happy customers who have not had a broken coil lug never have cause to complainπŸ€”
Pete E

I-Rutus wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:35 pm
Does that mean it is also the same plastic with the same properties?
I am hoping it's stronger, however they have managed to achieve it, but as I say I guess time will tell....

I would be interested to know how many Noxes have been sold in the UK, and what percentage of those sales resulted in a broken coil lug?

The unhappy voices are always the loudest, because the thousands of happy customers who have not had a broken coil lug never have cause to complainπŸ€”
Indeed, that is the nature of things....a part from the lug design, I have to say I have been very happy with my Nox...it will be interesting to see what ML eventually replace it with, given they already have the 3030 on the market, but that's a different discussion!
Easylife

Pete E wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:08 pm The lugs on the minelab coil lugs seems to suffer quite a bit from failure, and to my untrained eye, the plastic looks fairly thin...the lugs on my Racer are far beefier than my Nox and it has only been my Nox that have broken do far, although in fairness the circumstances of that break were far from clear and may have been down to outside influences so to speak...
My concern is that looking at pictures of the 15" coil, and from initial reports, Coiltek appear to be using about the same gauge plastic for the lugs.

Now the lugs themselves are apparently bigger over all, but whether this will be a noticeable improvement, I don't know...I guess time will tell.

Also, as yet, there are no after market coil lug stiffener / repair widgets available, but I am sure that will change in due course...
I've flattened plenty of stubble with the ML 15x12 and the lugs have held up just fine. Though over time the rubber spacers do wear and compress so I added a shim as could see the lugs visibly bending through extra tightening to close the small gap.
The way I see it regarding the coil lug strenthening brackets - if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it!
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Pete E wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:08 pm I am interested in getting a 15 " coil but would only do so if it offered a noticeable improvement over the 15" ML version.
I've been permanently using the ML 15x12" coil for over 2 years mainly on pasture. I find it gives good target separation for it's size as well as good depth and ground coverage.
I'll also be very interested to see if there is any significant depth gain with the Coiltek 15" coil. I noticed that the ML 15x12" is exactly that size but the CT 15" coil is 375mm so 14 3/4", close enough though. Depth comparison results should be interesting, maybe the same?
I use a bungee but still don't fancy the extra 176g in weight of the CT 15" coil which I expect would surely unbalance the detector. The weight difference going from the standard 11" coil to either of the larger Coiltek coils (av +350g) might be an unexpected surprise to some! Maybe they will bring out lighter versions next?
I-Rutus

I had a 14" coil on my 3030, I sold it because of the weight!
I also sold my 15" minelab coil for the Nox due to the weight.

I think some people are in for a shock when they stick the Coiltek on the end😳😁😁
I-Rutus

As soon as we can get out again in accordance with listed restrictions, I shall join Oxgirl for a dig, I will then report back on my findings, but from the video's that are out, I am looking forward to improved target seperation.

I have done a couple of air tests using a gold stater, and gold cufflink, and the readings look good, but that is an air test, not a muddy field in Oxfordshire.πŸ€”
Blackadder43

Looking forward to seeing these results fella
I am due a present to myself :lol:
Easylife

I-Rutus wrote: ↑Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:19 pm As soon as we can get out again in accordance with listed restrictions, I shall join Oxgirl for a dig, I will then report back on my findings, but from the video's that are out, I am looking forward to improved target seperation.
I expect the 10x5" will suit you perfect. :thumbsup:
I-Rutus

Yesterday I finally had a chance to try out my coiltek 10x5, firstly, the balance on Nox fitted with carbon shaft was unreal, you would not notice it was even there, and where as the small round coil is also very light, this new coil just seems to balance perfectly.

The field I tried it on was not technically difficult, very short pasture, no hot rocks, low if any mineralisation, but quite a bit of iron to work around, so a constant drumming of iron signals with the horseshoe turned on.
But the "good" signals were crisp and clear running "Fred's" program in field 1. And the pin pointing was as would be expected, exceptional.
As for the two main characteristics of any coil, depth, and target recognition, you have nothing to worry about with the Coiltek. Just like the standard Minelab coils, some of the targets are crazy small, yet still they ring up strong, with good numbers.
As for depth, most targets I dug were in the 6 to 8 inch depth, but that was with sensitivity at 20, and I never played with the settings trying to push the depth, so I am sure there is a little more there if needed. But for a first try, and with me being a little off my A game, I am not even remotely disappointed with the performance, infact, I am more than pleased.πŸ‘
Bors

Quote I-rutus,..... " with the performance, infact, I am more than pleased."
And thats all that matters really. :thumbsup: :D
Things aint cooking in my kitchen