No silver!

Easylife

After my silver spree last outing I was hopeful but not really expecting too much from another afternoon here. I spent a while on the spoon field, it was very quiet of targets though did produce an 18th century Chinese coin but still not enough to keep my interest so I tried the silver field. But no more silver showed this time, instead it gave me some more miIitary buttons and badges.
IMG_20210303_182429.jpg
All the better for a bit of a polish up.
IMG_20210303_163232.jpg
A WW1 Army Pay Corps cap badge or shoulder title, it still had it's back plate and fixing pin attached. Also part of a WW1 8th Territorial Battalion shoulder title.
Some 20th century buttons - a general service button and an Egypt campaign button. An earlier Navy button, perhaps Napoleonic? A watch winder with the local watch makers name and address on it. And a Notts Miners Association membership badge.
Some other bits.
IMG_20210303_154258.jpg
A decorated tombac button. A lead shot. A small 1930's advertising badge of 'Chilvern cottage' - a dairy in Aylesbury. And a lead/alloy spike?
Almost all 89 targets dug came from previously searched areas so no complaints. Having a few bits to look up is always quite an enjoyable challenge too. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

How big are these areas fella?
They really are throwing up a lot of finds....not always ground breaking, but a sure indication that folk have used that area for more than just farming
You really have been lucky with your pitch during the last however long you been there, great choice fella :thumbsup:

Oh and the no silver may add weight to my full moon theory, cant wait for the next one and see your silver bag bulge :ugeek:
Oxgirl

Maybe no silver but a great areay of finds though Ian :thumbsup:

What county are you parked up in then Ian? Assuming the Aylesbury badge hasn’t travelled far assuming you’re in Bucks? :Thinking:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve_JT

In would not be disappointed with that lot, a great selection of some nice items :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 pm How big are these areas fella?
They really are throwing up a lot of finds....not always ground breaking, but a sure indication that folk have used that area for more than just farming
You really have been lucky with your pitch during the last however long you been there, great choice fella :thumbsup:

Oh and the no silver may add weight to my full moon theory, cant wait for the next one and see your silver bag bulge :ugeek:
Aye up Bruce, I finished searching my pitch a good while ago but was happy with the extra 3 hammereds that it produced.
The last few times out I've just been going on a local pasture permission which I've searched for several years. It is a large hill with old footpaths along the top and bottom of it. Most finds have been within about 100m of the footpaths. There are no historical records of any activity here but from the many hundreds of finds I've concluded that it was popular for picnicking more so in Victorian times. Also that British and Allied troops must have camped here for there to be so many military badges and buttons, more often than not at least one shows each time. It just keeps on giving and never blanks though I do normally favour the more productive fields.
It's about 50 acres in total, the 'silver field' is mainly about 2 acres but can be extendable. Last time out I realised just how chock full of iron it is, so no doubt previously lots of iron masking. It's also where most of the military bits come from though they occasionally show up just about anywhere. In fact about 400m away I once found three of the same badges stacked together.
To be honest I was thinking of not going back here in any hurry this year, but glad I did as it seems to have come alive again. Also there are some vast areas that warrant a better look which will no doubt throw up a few decent finds, but I have other permissions to also search where there are likely to be generally older finds. My oldest finds here were 2 Roman coins both near footpaths so anything is possible, but Georgian onwards finds are the norm, some quirky bits and quite fun and plentiful in the right areas.
Recently I was thinking that I should maybe compile the finds that I have made to date from this permission over the last few years to give a better perspective of the land's previous activity?
Your full moon theory could well be responsible for pulling the targets closer to the surface! :thumbsup: :-?
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 pm Maybe no silver but a great areay of finds though Ian :thumbsup:

What county are you parked up in then Ian? Assuming the Aylesbury badge hasn’t travelled far assuming you’re in Bucks? :Thinking:
Not allowed to travel yet, just on a local permission.
I guess that Dominion dairy, Aylesbury gave those badges away with their produce which was perhaps distributed about the country? I thought that you might pick up on it as local to you. :D
Easylife

Steve_JT wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:29 pm I would not be disappointed with that lot, a great selection of some nice items :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
Typical finds from here, not too old but interesting social history, there's still always a first. :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Very nice selection of finds and beautifully photographed if I may say so!
Dave The Slave

Plenty of nice finds there, Easy.
Yet to find any military badges, either of those would have been good.
Like the Notts Miners badge also.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Reiver

Good haul !
Well found and well saved. :thumbsup: