By popular request (well, two people asked)

figgis

Herewith a couple of pics of yesterday's finds, all found within the first hour of a short two-hour session.

First off, a very worn and heavily-clipped Edward IV penny alongside an almost equally distressed Elizabeth I half groat:
hammered.jpg
(Edward IV York mint penny (Archbishop Rotherham) 1480-83 + Elizabeth I London mint half groat, 6th issue 1595-98)

Next, and to spoil it for certain people ;) , a couple of Roman grots, the one on the left being a barbarous radiate, my fave.
Roman.jpg
(Probably Tetricus on the left and Lord alone knows on the right)

Finally, and the star of the show, a near-complete Roman lock pin. (You can tell a lock pin from a furniture mount by the shaft, which in a lock pin is bronze and in a furniture mount is invariably iron.)
lock pin.jpg
It was one of those days where just about every signal was "something". The second signal of the day was the Edward and the third was one of the Romans only a foot or so away, and it just carried on for an hour :D Nothing much in the second hour other than a nice little chunk of samian ware, but no complaints here :thumbsup:
Easylife

Well done. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Where and how would that Roman pin been used Figgis?
I have found similar over the years, but never had them ID's as a Roman lock pin.....quite possibly because it hasnt actually been a Roman lock pin in my case :lol: , but now i'm interested and about to learn summat today :thumbsup:
Reiver

Always love a hammered.
Well found and well saved. :thumbsup:
figgis

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:18 pm Where and how would that Roman pin been used Figgis?
It would have been used to secure a lock to something, within which were items you wanted to keep people away from. Could be on a door or a casket containing valuables such as a sizeable jelly bean stash.

In the image of the lock plate below, the holes in the four corners were for such pins which were fixed through the lock and into the wooden surface of the door or casket, thus securing the lock. Most pins had a nail-like rectangular or square section on the spike, which again can be reflected in the shape of the hole for them in the plate
lockplate.jpg
Edit: there's an important bit I left out which I'll get back to once I've welcomed her ladyship back from her hard day's lunching :thumbsup:

She's fine, as, apparently, is Lady Goodfinger's unfortunate rash. Now, where was I? Oh yes...

There are examples of complete pins with a hole through them near the end...
hole in it.jpg
Presumably to pass a bar through on the other side of the casket/door, so preventing the lock from being levered out?
Dave The Slave

Interesting in the difference between a lock pin and furniture mount.
Assuming this is quite a small object and not sink plunger size.
Now i dare say at least one detectorist must have found a sink plunger :lol:
Amazes me how people can Id a Roman that is not pristine and without a complete legend.
Well done, John and thanks for the History lesson.
Just seen the further update on the lock. :thumbsup:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Allectus

You've sold yourself short there, John :lol: ........Richard III/Thomas Rotherham. :thumbsup:

A
figgis

Allectus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:08 pm You've sold yourself short there, John :lol: ........Richard III/Thomas Rotherham. :thumbsup:

A
Is It??

Blimey, I spent ages researching that, and was sure I had it nailed. Well, at least I got the Rotherham bit right! Thanks, Tony, chap :thumbsup:

May I ask what there is on the coin that i plainly missed, resulting in a complete cow pat of an ID? :lol:
figgis

It's that flaming key to the right of the bust, ain't it? I knew it was upright rather than angled, but put that down to the die :oops:
HolzHammer

Nice stuff John thanks for showing!!!
Oxgirl

Ohhhh nice set of finds :Star:

Sorry for the slow response. Favourite field is having a road dug through it and the top 3 foot is being excavated. Didn’t find that much but had to get over there sharpish. Came home dripping in mud though as I fell on my arse trying to clean my boots of the mud in a water filled field dip :silent:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Allectus

figgis wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:21 pm It's that flaming key to the right of the bust, ain't it?
:thumbsup:
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:26 pm I fell on my arse trying to clean my boots of the mud in a water filled field dip :silent:
There's good money waiting for anyone with footage of that :lol:
Danté

figgis wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:17 am There's good money waiting for anyone with footage of that :lol:
Yeah. Pictures or it didn't happen.. :lol:
alloverover

The Richard III is a lovely find John even in that condition and even better when its a supprise :D :thumbsup: