Silver War Badge! REUNITED.

Saffron

Easylife wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:11 pm Rather than going where I would most likely make a few reasonable finds I decided instead to have a wander on some well searched fields just out of curiosity to see if anything else would show up. A few bits and bobs did but nothing much. Light was starting to fade so my only chance to save the day was to walk across the silver field on my way out. My very first target there sounded deep with jumpy high numbers so had good potential and after the first clod was out it turned into a screaming solid 36 on the Nox, so pure that I was confident that it was going to be a big silver. Not a coin but a WWI Silver War Badge at 11" deep. Given for honourable discharge due to wounds.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_War_Badge
IMG_20210305_135202.jpg
IMG_20210305_135243.jpg

This chap is a match of same regimental number and receiving SWB, but there may possibly be others matches also?
IMG_20210305_140338.jpg

Quite a few military badges and buttons have come from this field but this is the first that can be associated to an individual, so may help to figure out the past military presence on here? I'm guessing that British and Allied troops camped on here for some reason. Perhaps this guy who was honourably discharged due to wounds came to visit them and lost this badge?
A great find :thumbsup:

The decoration was introduced as an award of "King's silver" for having received wounds or injury during loyal war service to the Crown's authority. A secondary causation for its introduction was that a practice had developed in the early years of the war in the United Kingdom where some women took it upon themselves to confront and publicly embarrass men of fighting age they saw in public places who were not in military uniform, by ostentatiously presenting them with white feathers, as a suggestion of cowardice.

However, the number on the back is NOT a regimental number ... so the service record you posted is unrelated.

Each badge was uniquely numbered on the reverse. The War Office maintained a register recording which serviceman each one had been issued to in United Kingdom, and the governments of Canada, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Rhodesia maintained their own registers of issue (which were copied to the War Office in London to provide it with an Imperial master-record)

More details here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_War_Badge

I think the records are only available at Kew (unsure if they can be searched or downloaded), rather than being on sites like Ancestry. But as the number is unique you would be able to identify the recipient.

Evan
Saffron

Above post made after seeing Easy Life's initial post without reading all the follow on responses.

But having now seen the replies I seem to be noticing a trend.
Easylife wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:35 pm I don't have access to the necessary records but other's might?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pete E wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:41 pm You might get lucky...I have never done any geneology myself, but I know others here have....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shaggybfc wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm If only if there was someone on here that has the expertise needed to trace this person :thumbsup: :D

Lovely find :thumbsup:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emily wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:43 pm Yes, if only some individual had the means to trace people within single a day....🤪
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shaggybfc wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:48 pm If he logs on before tea, and pulls his finger out, this case could be done and dusted before bedtime :thumbsup:
I love these 'adventures' and can't wait for to follow the story
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
figgis wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:10 pm Oh, blimey - it's going to be one of them edge-of-the-seat detective jobbies, innit? I just love these :thumbsup:

I would lay in some popcorn, but I prefer a couple of cases of gin, to be honest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave The Slave wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:11 pm Not seen one of these before.
Also interesting that they were individually stamped with the Service number.
Interesting to see if more is added to the story of your find.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
NOT the the Service number - the number is unique to the Silver War badge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oxgirl wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:48 pm Oh wow - nice find. I’ll see if I can find some expert to help ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I wonder who everybody is waiting for :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:

If its who I think then sorry Shaggy (and all the others) but he did not log on until well after tea.

Worse still Emily has not delivered the popcorn and even worse is the Figgis has not delivered the gin .... does he ever?

Unlike the other week when we had the WWI soldier, John Sheriff, where the records were on Ancestry and The Genealogist in this case I am fairly sure (99.9%) that they are only at Kew and I do not think that they are available online. (Due to Covid I doubt if they are open, but even if they are I am too far from London to access them).

At least I have given a bit more information and identified that the number is unique and relates to the Silver War Badge, rather than a service number.

Evan
Pete E

Hi Evan,

*If* Kew is open (or when it opens) do you know if they would deal with an email enquiry for this sort of thing?

Regards,

Peter
Saffron

Its about time this forum got somebody on it that knows what is on ancestry. :oops: :oops:

The Silver War Badge roll is on Ancestry -

Name: John Wm Kinton
Military Year: 1920
Regiment: Army Veterinary Corps
Regimental Number: 14366
Discharge Unit: Royal Army Veterinary Corps
Discharge Regiment: A.V.C.
Badge Number: 2687 25
Piece: 3238
List Number: RAVC 0001-0340
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329

Enlisted 12 Dec 1915, discharge 25 Oct 1917 aged 40.
(discharge date corrected ... I initially read the wrong line)

He was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Remember in WWI the bulk of supplies were moved by horses and mules, and the artillery guns were moved by horses, so the Army Veterinary Corps were vital, and a lot of the men in it would have been at the front - it was not a "nice cushy job" the rear areas.

Evan
Attachments
SWB.JPG
Saffron

**** WARNING ****

If anybody starts to look on Ancestry, or any other family history site, it looks as if there were at least two John William Kinton's in the army in WWI that earnt the Silver War Badge (thankfully the records have the unique badge nr!!).

Suspect there might be others as well
Pete E

Cracking bit of research Evan....

Quick question...Do you know what the Military Year: 1920 refers to?

Regards,

Peter
Easylife

Thank you Evan.
So we have a John William Kinton born 1877. :thumbsup:
Market Bosworth, Leicestershire?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Saffron wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:52 pm **** WARNING ****

If anybody starts to look on Ancestry, or any other family history site, it looks as if there were at least two John William Kinton's in the army in WWI (unless this man change regiments / corps).
I wonder if his service record survived to establish the correct family?
Saffron

Pete E wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:54 pm Cracking bit of research Evan....

Quick question...Do you know what the Military Year: 1920 refers to?

Regards,

Peter
A lot of the WWI records covered the period 1914 to 1920, so its just the closing year for this type of record.

The dates of interest to us are - Enlisted 12 Dec 1915, discharged 25 Oct 1917.

Evan
Pete E

Saffron wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:29 pm A lot of the WWI records covered the period 1914 to 1920, so its just the closing year for this type of record.

The dates of interest to us are - Enlisted 12 Dec 1915, discharged 15 Nov 1917.

Evan
Thanks Evan...I was looking at his date of service 1915 to 1917 and wondered where 1920 fitted in that's all...
Easylife

SWB.JPG
SWB.JPG (36.34 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Cause of discharge - 'Para 2a(1) of A.O.265/17'

AO 265/17 means "Army Order 265 of 1917". This deals with the award of the Silver War Badge for being discharged due to illness or injury while serving at home or abroad. Here is all the reasons under Paragraph 2:

"2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:
(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:
(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,
(ii) After service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exception) Act, 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.
(b.) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in (a).
(c.) Those who, having served as officers and being now over military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions.
(d) Those who, have served as soldiers and being now over military age, have been discharged otherwise than for misconduct.
(e) Civilians who have served with the Royal Army Medical Corps under a fixed agreement for a period of service, or who have been employed with the army overseas (provided such employment received official sanction), who have resigned their military employment on account of wounds or sickness, and who, if of military age, have received a final discharge under sub-section (5) of section 1 of the said Act.
(f) Nurses and members of Voluntary Aid Detachments who have been discharged on account of old age, wounds, or sickness, such as would render them permanently unfit for further service."
Saffron

Easylife wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:05 pm Thank you Evan.
So we have a John William Kinton born 1877. :thumbsup:
Market Bosworth, Leicestershire?
Easylife wrote: I wonder if his service record survived to establish the correct family?
Answering second post first - at initial search I can not find his service record (it woould help if it was availabel)

Yes YOB 1877

Not sure about location - I have not worked backwards yet
However his pension record gives "Residence Place: Hill Top Eastwood Notts." and that is only about 35 miles from Market Bosworth, so its quite possible that its the same person.
However, the other John William Kinton that was awarded a Silver War Badge was in the Leicestershire Regiment !!

I have found his pension record

World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923
Name: John William Kinton
Record Type: Disability
Birth Date: 1877
Residence Place: Hill Top Eastwood Notts.
Military Service Region: East Midlands, North Midlands
Military Country: England
Discharge Date: 25 Oct 1917
Service Number: 14366
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Army Veterinary Corps
Service Branch: Military (Army)
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Pension Record Ledger

Also found this record for him, so looks like he was in the Army Ordnance Corps then transfered to the Army Veterinary Corps
Name: John William Kinton
Record Type: Card
Residence Place: Eastwood
Service Number: 366, 14366
Corps, Regiment or Unit: Army Ordnance Corps
Title: WWI Pension Record Cards and Ledgers
Description: Other Ranks Survived

Evan
Saffron

Here he is in the 1911 census
Address: Raglan Street, Hill Top, Eastwood, Notts
Civil Parish: Greasley

Name, age, year born (as always with a census can be a year out), where born
John W Kinton, 33 1878 Male Head Leicester, Glenfield, Coal Miner "Lauer" (last word as transcribed, might it be loader??)
Elizabeth Kinton, 32 1879 Female Wife Eastwood, Nottingham
They had been married 14 years

Children
Name, age, year born, son / daughter, where born
Gladys A Kinton 13 1898 Daughter Leicester
Archie W Kinton 11 1900 Son Leicester, Loughborough
Eva Ethel Kinton 8 1903 Daughter Greasley, Nottinghamshire
Albert E Kinton 5 1906 Son Greasley, Nottinghamshire
John Stanley Kinton 3 1908 Son Greasley, Nottinghamshire
Gershom Kinton 5months 1910 Son Greasley, Nottinghamshire

Evan
Saffron

There is what looks a good family tree for the family on Ancestry. So can trace the family further forward, at a glance it does not show any living descendants (very wisely!), but a fair chance there are if followed up.

When I get time I will see what I can find out.

But we have identified who the Silver War Badge belonged to, and found his family in 1911 and know much more information is available.

Evan

FYI: If anybody ever puts a family tree online NEVER put any details of living people ... eg a common security question that banks ask is "mother maiden name" so if sombody is pretending to be you do you want them to have that kind of information at hand?.
Easylife

Saffron wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:51 am FYI: If anybody ever puts a family tree online NEVER put any details of living people ... eg a common security question that banks ask is "mother maiden name" so if sombody is pretending to be you do you want them to have that kind of information at hand?.
True, but it's been made so easy to look up anyones date of birth or maiden name on the genealogy sites.