A little field ( revisited)

alloverover

Thought I would do a little post about a little field ive spent a few hours on lately( spured on by Figgis saying he hadnt found a lead token ), not much more than that, maybe 6 hours I should think but soon the field will be another one lost forever, the field is close to a small brook that runs into the nearest town, it was obviously much more used and important back in the day than it is now, I can tell be the finds ive had near it before.

There must of been quite a bit of activity around here, espescially in the post medieval period, lots of lead tokens, buckles, cloth seals and the like, its a pleasure to get on, knowing your likely to find something of interest.

The pipetamper is an unusual find for me, ive never had one like it to be honest but would think it post dates most of the finds from here, 1800s at a guess,but what is it of , the hand of God maybe ?

A Henry VIII penny has seen better days but a nice Rose farthing, jetton and Royal farthing, a couple of 17th century tokens that arnt in the picture and a solitary grotty Roman.

Posting this makes me think I might have another visit there sometime soon, all the best, Aoo :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210306_155447.jpg
20210306_155342.jpg
20210306_155322.jpg
20210306_155227.jpg
figgis

Hell's teefs, that man, I should think you would have another visit there sometime soon. A great selection of finds and that pip tamper is bog on :thumbsup:
Easylife

That looks a fun field, more will surely show. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Plenty of interesting finds from a small field.
Well done, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Most definately worth more visits, that is a busy field for sure :shock:

Is it being built on Aoo?....if so get yurself back on there, and also take a 6pack to the first digger driver on site :thumbsup:

That pipe tamper is a nice one
Definately some trading of some description going on there or nearabouts.....
Oxgirl

Love all of those! The cloth seals are in amazing condition, adore the tokens and am also in love with the pipe tamper.

Get back there please!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:32 pm Most definately worth more visits, that is a busy field for sure :shock:

Is it being built on Aoo?....if so get yurself back on there, and also take a 6pack to the first digger driver on site :thumbsup:

That pipe tamper is a nice one
Definately some trading of some description going on there or nearabouts.....
Yes, being built on Bruce, I would rather see it stay as a field than get a few finds off it to be honest but you cant ignore these things can you :D
Oxgirl wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:11 pm Love all of those! The cloth seals are in amazing condition, adore the tokens and am also in love with the pipe tamper.

Get back there please!
You should see the cloth seals and tokens I had from a different field nearby Cath, quite a few :o :o :o
stanslad

Lovely finds mate, get back out there, hi vi's & hard hat, you'll look like part of the building gang, go tomorrow!
Clint :thumbsup:
alloverover

stanslad wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 pm Lovely finds mate, get back out there, hi vi's & hard hat, you'll look like part of the building gang, go tomorrow!
Clint :thumbsup:
Dont know what you mean mate ;) :lol:
Saffron

I always love small fields, I find they are normally the most productive. It deserves a lot more attention before its is buit over and the history lost for ever.

A fantastic selection of finds there, you say about 6 hours - that would be more than 6 months finds for many of us (myself included).

I especially love the pipe tamper.

I know we all groan when we dig a lead blob, but lead is always a good sign and you have a great selection of lead tokens and seals there.
It just shows that they are not that uncommon and what you can find if detecting rather than sitting on a Chaise Longue sipping gin :-D

Evan
alloverover

Saffron wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:52 am I always love small fields, I find they are normally the most productive. It deserves a lot more attention before its is buit over and the history lost for ever.

A fantastic selection of finds there, you say about 6 hours - that would be more than 6 months finds for many of us (myself included).

I especially love the pipe tamper.

I know we all groan when we dig a lead blob, but lead is always a good sign and you have a great selection of lead tokens and seals there.
It just shows that they are not that uncommon and what you can find if detecting rather than sitting on a Chaise Longue sipping gin :-D

Evan
Very well said Evan, in fact, I proberbly wouldnt of gone to the site again today if it hadnt been for everybodys comments on this post, I managed about an hour and three quarters on there before the light faded but the conditions were perfect, not like the mudbath its been previously when I was there, took a couple of photos on the field but will put a few more up later :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210307_164926.jpg
20210307_172425.jpg
Oxgirl

Nice one! 8-) Any idea if that site was used for trading or something like that? The quantity and range of tokens and coins hints at something being traded there surely :Thinking:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
alloverover

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:08 pm Nice one! 8-) Any idea if that site was used for trading or something like that? The quantity and range of tokens and coins hints at something being traded there surely :Thinking:
I think all the fields round this particular area are like this Cath, certainly the ones ive done ( which isnt many of them) , like I say, I had a large amount of tokens and seals from a nearby field some years ago, there was a lot going on here back in the day :thumbsup:
alloverover

So, had another go on this site today, as I said, conditions were perfect, nice damp soil but not muddy at all.
One of the first signals was the barrel key/valve followed by some lead tokens, I think there are 4 tokens and a couple of cloth seals that have lost bits in the photo plus a Kosha plumba.
20 Euro cents just laying on top of the grass, maybe someone had seen me there before and was having a laugh .
A couple of buckles and a nice solid floral mount, hooked tag minus the hook and a Soverign penny of Henry VII, Bishop Fox ( RD to sides of shield), so thats Henry VII and VIII from here now, to be honest I would of expected more hammered on here, maybe next time.
The site is really contaminated, every swing is giving an iron signal and coke abounds, am using the Deus with 9" Hf coil which is pretty good on this type of field, a really enjoyable session today and like I say, I dont think I would of bothered had I not posted about it last night,,no modern rubbish, good clean signals and plenty of them, hopefully this site will last a long time as there is a few nice supprises inamongst it I reckon, all the best, Aoo :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210307_200710.jpg
20210307_220634.jpg
20210307_220718.jpg
20210307_220649.jpg
Reiver

That's some field , fill your boots while you can. :thumbsup:
Reiver.