Roman Denarius

Steve_JT

Cold but pleasant day, lot of buttons, went over where I found the Celtic gold and silver coins but very quiet so moved up the field, some nice bits came up and loads of buttons.

A folding strap clasp, strap end, William Halfpenny, livery button (ID’d) , a couple of oddities that I will post up later in the week for some thoughts and a couple of romans, pictures aren't the best, especially the copper, gad to angle the light to get any detail.

I think this is a Hadrian denarius with victory flying holding trophy

A copper Roman, unsure of ruler (Constans perhaps ?) reverse has captives under a banner

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Reiver

Nice coins , well found and well saved. :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Thats a corker of a silver Steve :thumbsup:
The tecting gods are smiling on you at present....keep it up :clapping:

Roman folk werent very affluent in my area and never dropped such coins :lol:
Dave The Slave

Always good to see a decent non grot Roman, especially a Denarius.
Everyone`s heard of the Wall , so to find one of his coins and a Silver one at that is an achievement.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Ooh, I do like me a nice Giraffeneck denarius. Great find, sir. :thumbsup:

As for the bronze, it could be any of the House of Constantine as they all seem to have issued a coin with that reverse and they all seemingly had access to the same hat :lol:
alloverover

The bronze has a VIRTVS EXERCIT reverse Steve the captives are either side of trophy ( captured arms and armour), what there is of the legend says its Constantine I ( what would of been TINVS AVG to the right of bust).
It does look a little bit barbarous, so may actually be a copy of the officaial coin but its a bit too far gone to say for definate :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

alloverover wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm The bronze has a VIRTVS EXERCIT reverse Steve the captives are either side of trophy ( captured arms and armour), what there is of the legend says its Constantine I ( what would of been TINVS AVG to the right of bust).
It does look a little bit barbarous, so may actually be a copy of the officaial coin but its a bit too far gone to say for definate :thumbsup:
Thanks for that, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I did wonder if it was a perhaps a copy, something about it, and the quality of the metal used seem not quite right

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein