That was a suprise

alloverover

Finished work early today ;) with a field in mind to spend a good few hours on, on the next farm along :thumbsup:
Its one of my favorite little spots, it was a trading site next to an ancient route, ive had a lot of coinweights, cloth seals, lots of hammered and lots of farthing tokens- Rose, Royal and 17th century trade tokens, there has always been a lot of small hammered to be had on there so I spend quite a bit of time going nice and slow on there each year.

The main area is roughly 150 meters by about 60 meters, so how have I missed this :Thinking: ?

It was very near the surface and obviously a great signal, to be honest I left the field soon after as it was freshly done and so fluffy and airy that signals were hard to come by.

Ive never had anything Roman in this area and there it was, right in the middle of this area I hammer for days every year :lol:

I havent been keeping track on whats going on on the field this year for obvious reasons, am just hoping its had a deep plough which has brought this great lump of a Faustina Snr sestertius to the top,,,,,,,we shall see, once the field is ready that is :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210308_114659.jpg
figgis

Yes, I can see how that would have been a surprise! Nice surpise at that. It's always something of a surprise for me when a sestertius (or any Roman coin come to that) has any identifiable features :D
Blackadder43

Great if it has had a plough, thats not going to be the only one in that field :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that it takes 3 ploughs to return the field to where it was before the first plough
No idea how much truth is in that, but it triples the finds potential in a field
I would be finishing work early all week i think :lol:
alloverover

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Just gave her a little clean up .
rsz_first.jpg
rsz_second.jpg