Deciding if its a digable or not target

Bors

Finding your target is pretty easy. Deciding whether to dig it or not is not so easy for some. Assuming you have some discrimination put in on your settings , start by raising your coil about a foot above the detected target and see if you can still hear the sound, if you can hear it loud n clear ,thats you first indicator it could be Large Iron you`ve found.
Try lowerering the coil down to just skimming the ground and again start at the loudest part of the signal and proceed to perform a "Cross " pattern above the ground over the target from the centre loudest part, & go from say,
12 o `clock to 6 o` clock ,then over to 9 o'clock across to 3 o`clock.,to see how far the loudness of the signal carries on for as you fan out with your coil. If it fades pretty quickly as you go away from the loudest part, its telling you ," this is a short target ". If it carries on out about 4" to 10" its telling you the targets big, which could indicate it is not a coin but a possible artefact of sorts, or even the dreaded "Ferrous " / Iron if the Iron is that big it`s over riding the Discrimination .
Now go back to the loudest part of your signal and proceed to do a 360 deg circle of the target by waving your coil above the sound and take particular notice of the sounds your getting coming through . If the sound breaks up after a few seconds then your targets implying its not a good target, if it stays consistent in a nice high sound and if you have a meter ,check the readout to see if its not jumping erratically about too much.Go all the way around a 360 degree turn , it`ll tell you your targets going to be pretty well worth investigating as the 360 degree consistency without distortion is a good indicator of a target that has potential . But like I mentioned if while circling the target your signal breaks up or makes a broken chattery ,clicking , or fuzzy sound , or even fades out and then back in ,as your circling,this is an indication its a good chance of it being a piece of Iron. .Again if you have a meter on board you should see a low readout indication of a low conductivity is detected accompanying the erratic sounds if its Iron. But saying that, IF it is Iron & the Iron is shallow you could also get a VERY high readout up to near the Max digital numbers ,so be aware of that also.
There will on occasions be Targets that will fool everyone such as a very large heavily rusted Iron washer, or heavily rusted metal rings give off a good signal too . Steel /Iron Horseshoes can also fool the detector into giving a good target sound because of thier near all "round" shape , but in the main , if you use the Lift above with coil ,and circling method ,you can get very good indications as whether your Target is diggable or not ,and the info gets more identifiable the more practise you put in with these two methods to save yourself doing a lot of unnessesary digging. Try them and see if it helps you.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
TerraBritannia

Good advice Pete. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Littleboot

Good advice indeed. I used some of those strategies with other detectors...XP GMP for example....as well as the Nox. Lifting the coil is always a good one to use, for example. That said, on some of my sites (old houses that have been demolished and ploughed out) there is a lot of iron and I now tend to dig it anyway so I can welly it into the hedge. If I leave it it masks a lot of good stuff. So knowing something is iron doesn't mean i don't dig it. It simply means I don't have false expectations. :lol:

Of course the other main factor as to if a target is diggable or not....is how predisposed i am to dig holes. How hard the ground is, how quiet it is. Sometimes I am lazier than others, sometimes time is short and i won't waste time on anything with a hint of iffy about it but rather move on instead.
Still it is always good to find the sweetspot and really know what your detector is telling you. It saves an awful lot of sweat.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
shaggybfc

I read or heard it said that newbies tend to find the deep hoards / artefacts as they dig everything..... and I understand that.
Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been upping the audio response so every target is booming. I must admit, I’ve seen my find rate go up, whether it’s physiological or not.
Yes, you lose the perception of depth, but by raising the coil, you can get and feeling.
I used to never dig the large area, high tone signals, just knowing they’d be aluminium beer cans..... and 99/100 they are.. that was until is saw a friend pull out a lovely bronze axe head from about 12”...... he was swearing it was either deep iron or a can.....
On a Deus with X35 coil.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

Even jumpy target ID numbers give lots of target information if you learn how to interpret them, and All metal with Multi-tones will give you even more information. Round non-ferrous targets normally give a very solid TID though irregular shaped ones can be jumpy to varying degrees and perhaps easily dismissed but should not be, especially if there is no iron signature. Or even if there is it may still be a good target next to some iron?
There are the more obvious good targets but of the other iffy ones you will need to either just dig them all or experiment and learn to interpret exactly what your detector is telling you in order to dig less iron. Some detectors will give an iron buzz as you move off the target whilst others give a clipped tone or other iron indicators. Simultaneous multi-frequency will better identify iffy targets and iron than a single frequency could but will still occasionally be completely fooled by certain bits of iron.
If you are going to spend lots of time analysing a target then you may as well have just quickly dug it up to know for sure.
Any repeatable signal gets my full and undivided attention, I take no prisoners! :thumbsup:
Easylife

Littleboot wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:27 pm Of course the other main factor as to if a target is diggable or not....is how predisposed i am to dig holes. How hard the ground is, how quiet it is. Sometimes I am lazier than others, sometimes time is short and i won't waste time on anything with a hint of iffy about it but rather move on instead.
Yes, it just depends upon what you have found there before and your mood. In a field of metallic green waste contamination or even hard stony trashy ground for example, it is likely more productive to just cherry pick certain targets. - or even better if you have other cleaner land available. :)
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:29 pm Yes, you lose the perception of depth, but by raising the coil, you can get and feeling.
I don't normally gauge a targets depth, if it's not in the first spade full out then it's deeper. :P
Your strategy is logical as you only need to know that the target is there and less chance of missing the quiet ones. :thumbsup:
Bors

Just for clarity for the sake of clarities sake , :D The initial post was aimed in the main for Newbies just to settle into detecting without having to do a gravedigging course first,and that was why I placed it in the "beginners" section. :lol:
Its not really trying to tell grandma how to suck eggs, more for a newbie,point me the way forward ,type post. :D
Littleboot

Are you calling me grandma? :lol: :rollinglaughing: (You could be calling Ian and shaggy grandma.....and that would be even worse. :lol: ) To be honest I don't really know my way about yet and just contributed without seeing that it was the beginners section. :shock: :lol: Ah well. In the end we are all beginners, just some of us began longer ago. :thumbsup: ;)
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Bors

You know what I KNEW you`d pick up on that as soon I wrote it :lol: . I then thought about adding "and granddads " to try and deflect it " but then I thought ,well the saying doesn`t include "and granddads " ., so rather than dig myself into an imminent hole, I decided to just hope ,you wouldn`t think anything of it and it would go over your head it , but you nah it didn`t ! :lol: :lol:
Easylife

Bors wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 pm The initial post was aimed in the main for Newbies just to settle into detecting without having to do a gravedigging course first and that was why I placed it in the "beginners" section. :lol:
I knew that , but the extra info is useful for a newbie to know even before they start. ;)