Field Markings?

TerraBritannia

A few weeks ago, I pulled up along a roadside to ask a farmer for permission to detect on his land and although I already knew his name through my job, he didn't make it very easy for me. Lets just say I wouldn't like to cross him.

After some persuation and me mentioning that I already detect on a neighbouring farm, he did eventually agree to allow me to detect, at least as long as I phone before hand. I did ask for his mobile number, but that info wasn't forthcoming, although I have his landline number from his website. This may well turn out to be one of those 'I've changed my mind' situations, but you never know. :thumbsup: :thumbdown:

Anyway, back to the reason for the post. I've been looking on Google Earth and I think that this field may be one of his, it shows some regular marks in the field, possibly it was partitioned at some point.

Any thoughts on this?

field.jpg
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
shaggybfc

Have you looked at lidar? It could show some more detail if the area is covered by it.
I swear I can see a football pitch 🤣🤣
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Oxgirl

So many options. It could be drainage or old field boundaries or even an old allotments? Obviously it could be buildings such as an old camp. I think some old map research is needed - and a chat with the farmer if you ever get to speak to him!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Littleboot

I always get my hopes up with 'markings' ...well I did. Until i retrospectively looked at satellite images of places I had subsequently found stuff that clearly indicated habitation or other land management from time gone by, and found the images showed nothing visible whatsoever.
Still they can be encouraging. I tend to be cautious....a lot of markings are caused by modern farming methods and are ephemeral and seasonal even though they look anything but. So where possible I try to source images from different seasons and time periods to see what is more permanent.
I once got very excited about an area that looked like a ditched enclosure because of crop growth....but investigation on the ground showed it was an accidental dump of seed that caused it.
In this case the picture isn't easy to see but some of the lines look to be too regularly spaced to be anything but caused by modern farm machinery. Still some could be other things like old boundaries. Some could be drainage.
Even if the are 'something' it doesn't follow that you will find anything with the detector.
I think many of us still hanker for Time Team and get excited by 'anomalies'...but i also remember how many of those trenches flattered to deceive and had nowt in them :lol:
Good luck with your somewhat resistant farmer, Andy. lets hope you get to have a waft over that field and some of those interesting marks. (Nah....do it all. You can bet the best finds will be in a scrappy area where there is nothing visible at all. :D )
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
TerraBritannia

Thanks folks.

Sadly I don't have LIDAR coverage for any of my permissions yet. :shock:

I'll let you know if I ever do get to detect on his land. Fingers and toes crossed, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't work out. :thumbsup:
Minelab Equinox 800
Easylife

I'd say that those linear lines are most definitely from modern farming (pic can be clicked to make larger).
It's like a grid, maybe we could number them and have a forum sweepstake? :P
You should be able to see any changes on google earth time-line over the years and seasons. :thumbsup:
Maybe once you find a few bits there it will get the farmer more interested?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TerraBritannia

Thanks Easylife. :thumbsup:

Just out of interest, does anyone else enjoy trying to research a permission? :D
Minelab Equinox 800
Easylife

Sure, the research is like a treasure hunt on it's own in finding record references to your land. Then there is the multiple historical maps, GE time-line images, Lidar and historical aerial photos of crop markings which together help form a bigger historical picture.
I personally find it very interesting researching and learning everything possible about the history of a field or permission, even old photos. I then share this with the landowners who are usually quite unaware of it and are fascinated, which scores me some brownie points.
The research often doesn't help to find you any more but is an insight of what could be, yet could sometimes pay off. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Ladybird66

I used to. Spent hours sitting in front of the computer. The worst of it is when you think there’s something good to be found and you find nothing. But even worse is when you’ve spent weeks or months getting evidence together and present it proudly to a land owner who says NO .
Happened to me a few years ago. Everything tied in nicely with written research, aerial pics & LIDAR. But at the end of it all I had to remind myself it was his land and no matter how sure I was of finding something he did have the right to say no.
It sort of took the edge of my enthusiasm after that. Plus I’ve always blamed the wasted hours sitting at the computer for having DVT that grounded me for 4 months. I’d been researching St.Tielo. (A Welsh Saint) I reckon he thought I should have left him alone.

As far as the above field is concerned I have to agree with the above comments but there is one little area, just below centre and a bit left that ‘could’ have been a building.
Hope you have more luck than I had with that miserable b—lighter :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bors

Looks like land drainage markings !
Things aint cooking in my kitchen