Help Me, I'm Drowning

alloverover

In a sea of mud screamed the corkscrew when I uncovered it,,,,,,,,I know the feeling I said, I am doing crap on here, I'm moving to another field and taking you with me :D
20210321_081104.jpg
So that was that or so I thought, the going had been pretty tough on this Roman site this morning, a lot of pottery about but not much else, anyone who knows me from another forum will have seen me discribe this field over the years, its my nemesis, its a hard nut to crack and it dosent relinquish the goodies untill its good and ready, to be honest it should of been pretty near perfect today as its settled and damp but no, it wasnt having it. When its in the mood it can easily give up 10 coins an hour but when its not in the mood you may get one, ,,,,if your lucky.
So, I took the drowning corkscrew as an omen and cut my losses, I must of been on the field for nearly two hours with very little to show but just as I was walking off got a nice crisp signal and looking down could see why, Gratian was sticking out of the soil ready and waiting to be plucked, yes plucked straight out of the ground, no wonder it was a good signal ( finally).

20210321_215156.jpg
So, onto pastures new.........or actually, arable old,,,,,,,,, could be pastures new I suppose as the soils not been turned for over a year due to the erosion of our towns, villages and fields in the need to house those who arrive on our shores on blow up bananas.

Glad I made the move, finds thick and fast and lovely clear signals galore, I would guess I was retreiving a lump of lead or a button every minute at least. Ive not bothered emptying my finds pouch yet as ive been overtaken by a case of the wearies ( and I know I didnt put the good stuff in there anyway).

So, what came off ?
four lead tokens and maybe a couple of squashed ones in the pouch, a nice Napolionic period volunteer button a Scottish cut half, William the Lion I think and an Irish penny of Edward IV I think, Tony if you could confirm that again I would be gratefull, I think its a D in the center of the cross but its a lot more open than the pics ive seen of Durham and pics of Dublin are hard to find.

So, all in all a nice morning, home by 12 so didnt antasgonize the family and a couple of bits and bobs as well as an emergency corkscrew for the van, cant be bad :lol: :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210321_215335.jpg
20210321_215627.jpg
20210321_215713.jpg
20210321_215747.jpg
Blackadder43

well, what a morning!
Corkscrew certainly handy, but makes ya wonder how it found itself in your field :shock:
Some Romans were just ahead of their time :Party:

Scottish and Irish coming off means quite a lot of important trade going on i imagine, or just well travelled travellers taking in some mead

I'd be well chuffed with that lot, some good lead tokens there with details on them :thumbsup:

Cheers for the story fella on this slow sunday :clapping:
Bors

Well done . A rewarding session , :thumbsup: :lol: and the cork screw really did look like it was asking for help
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
alloverover

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:34 pm well, what a morning!
Corkscrew certainly handy, but makes ya wonder how it found itself in your field :shock:
Some Romans were just ahead of their time :Party:

Scottish and Irish coming off means quite a lot of important trade going on i imagine, or just well travelled travellers taking in some mead

I'd be well chuffed with that lot, some good lead tokens there with details on them :thumbsup:

Cheers for the story fella on this slow sunday :clapping:
Cheers Bruce, yes, a lot of trade in the direct area mate, interesting as its very near my house.
heres the pottery from the Roman field, a couple of decorated bits and a couple of colour coated ware :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210321_224709.jpg
Kenleyboy

Inflatable bananas :lol:
Great write up , enjoyed reading that one and some good finds to finish off with :thumbsup:
alloverover

Bors wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:37 pm Well done . A rewarding session , :thumbsup: :lol: and the cork screw really did look like it was asking for help
It knew I would give it a good home Bors, my reputation preceeds me :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
alloverover

Kenleyboy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:53 pm Inflatable bananas :lol:
Great write up , enjoyed reading that one and some good finds to finish off with :thumbsup:
Maybe I should lend the Coastguard my new corkscrew Kb :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Lol you never used to write much did you? Such a waste as you are darn good at it. We are honoured that you share your tales with us.

See Tony hasn’t bothered to read this. Probably thinks you won’t need his help so wafts on by :lol:

Anyways we’ve all got fields like that - well the bit about being moody, not so much the ten coins in an hour! Like how you treat your better half she needs cosseting and treating to favours. Bring that field an offering next time you go and you’ll see she’ll behave :D

Anyway looks like her neighbour is less fussy and you got a bag full of finds. Well done! :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Great selection of finds.
Lucky to walk over the Gratian.
Loke the Volunteers button, any chance of a close up on that one. FLO`s will record these, as they are a disappeared part of our History.
Bruce, you`re not far off how a corkscrew was developed by the Romans
An early type of forceps, Vaginal Speculum;
One of the most spectacular, if fearsome looking, Roman medical instruments is the vaginal dilator or speculum (dioptra). It comprises a priapiscus with 2 (or sometimes 3 or 4) dovetailing valves which are opened and closed by a handle with a screw mechanism, an arrangement that was still to be found in the specula of 18th-century Europe. Soranus is the first author who makes mention of the speculum specially made for the vagina. Graeco-Roman writers on gynecology and obstetrics frequently recommend its use in the diagnosis and treatment of vaginal and uterine disorders, yet it is one of the rarest surviving medical instruments. Specula are large and readily recognizable and should not have suffered the same degree of destruction as thin instruments, such as probes, scalpels and needles. As a source of bronze, however, they may have been more subject to recycling than the smaller instruments.
https://www.romanobritain.org/13_roman_ ... urgery.php
Came across this website last week looking up Roman Scalpel.
Gruesome.
Cheers,
Dave.
shaggybfc

a bit of TLC would get the corkscrew working to it's full potential :lol:
A good day had :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

Nice finds and great story. :thumbsup:
The bottle opener was well saved! :lol:
The Loyal Volunteers button is maybe quite local?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Great write up, that man :thumbsup:

The Gratian looks to be in great nick.
Allectus

Good going there mate. :thumbsup: Can't see the penny too well but, certainly favours Edward IV.....Irish or Durham - local dies?

A :thumbsup:
alloverover

Dave The Slave wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 am Great selection of finds.
Lucky to walk over the Gratian.
Loke the Volunteers button, any chance of a close up on that one. FLO`s will record these, as they are a disappeared part of our History.
Bruce, you`re not far off how a corkscrew was developed by the Romans
An early type of forceps, Vaginal Speculum;
One of the most spectacular, if fearsome looking, Roman medical instruments is the vaginal dilator or speculum (dioptra). It comprises a priapiscus with 2 (or sometimes 3 or 4) dovetailing valves which are opened and closed by a handle with a screw mechanism, an arrangement that was still to be found in the specula of 18th-century Europe. Soranus is the first author who makes mention of the speculum specially made for the vagina. Graeco-Roman writers on gynecology and obstetrics frequently recommend its use in the diagnosis and treatment of vaginal and uterine disorders, yet it is one of the rarest surviving medical instruments. Specula are large and readily recognizable and should not have suffered the same degree of destruction as thin instruments, such as probes, scalpels and needles. As a source of bronze, however, they may have been more subject to recycling than the smaller instruments.
https://www.romanobritain.org/13_roman_ ... urgery.php
Came across this website last week looking up Roman Scalpel.
Gruesome.
Cheers,
Dave.
Here you go Dave, Thanks very much for the info on Roman gynacology, most useful 😀😀👍

Tap the pic and it is the right way round :thumbsup:
Attachments
20210322_194609.jpg
alloverover

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:12 am a bit of TLC would get the corkscrew working to it's full potential :lol:
A good day had :thumbsup:
Cheers shaggy, its in the motor , I will need it one day :D :thumbsup: