A question of attitude...

DaveP

[quote=Oxgirl post_id=

P.S. i have been known to spout annoying rubbish quite regularly though :lol:
[/quote]

Far be it for me to disagree with a woman 😀
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:48 pm I had a few barren weeks.
Weeks? :shock: I can't say that I've ever had a blank session, stuff always shows on my local permissions though most is not older than Georgian. But on my much more remote 500 acres I am quite aware that I could well blank, non ferrous targets there are very few and usually just a dropped ramblers wrapper, though a few pre-decimal coins have shown. The surrounding close ancient historical monuments and trackways add hope but it's maybe one for just the occasional search unless it comes good! :problem:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

DaveP wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm It's alright for some with all these lovely finds. I just take the approach of Adorno and assume the field will yield nothing and any decent signal is going to be a button. I can tell you Adorno's reverse psychology doesn't work :(

At this rate there will be a Nox up for sale fairly soon and an end to these disappointing walks. I would rather warm fruit cake and a cuppa in the comfort of the garden - no point in wasting it on a barren field.
I am fully with Dave here. Lets just say that if I did talk to my fields out loud the way they have been treating me I would have to check that nobody was around before hand or else I might upset them, especially if they were of a delicate nature!.

But in fairness I did at least get a glint of silver today, but yet again it turned out to be a button.

The only positive about my current (eg last 10 years) finds rate is that now the summer is coming is that it could encourage me to do more fishing.

Anybody looking to purchase two Nox 800s?

Evan
figgis

alloverover wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:29 pm Thats an interesting post John, tongue in cheek but its a really serious issue in my opinion, thats if people want to be finding stuff anyway :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I take it you're a firm believer that having a positive attitude makes a difference, Phil? I suppose we all must start a session with a degree of hope and expectation or we wouldn't bother going out at all, but sometimes maintaining that positivity gets harder as an unproductive session progresses.
figgis

Good lord. Gary Blackwell's latest video, just out
https://youtu.be/7VIytVG_uR4

:shock:
alloverover

figgis wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:18 am I take it you're a firm believer that having a positive attitude makes a difference, Phil? I suppose we all must start a session with a degree of hope and expectation or we wouldn't bother going out at all, but sometimes maintaining that positivity gets harder as an unproductive session progresses.
Absolutely, if you are not positive then your normally not concentrating so unless your only after the banging signals you might as well go home, ive had it loads of times when your not really in the mood and the signals just dry up :thumbsup:
figgis

Pretty much what Gary says in the video above - lack of concentration = negative results :thumbsup:
alloverover

figgis wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:42 am Pretty much what Gary says in the video above - lack of concentration = negative results :thumbsup:
I will have a watch :thumbsup:
Bors

Bad hole filling & leaving large scrap on the surface is one of my Pet Hates. :evil: :evil:
A) there is no excuse for it .B) Its just pure laziness. C) There`s NO respect for the Farmer who`s been good enough to let you detect in the first place.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
DaveP

figgis wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:42 am Pretty much what Gary says in the video above - lack of concentration = negative results :thumbsup:
If you can turn the 23rd button into a gold coin I'm all ears :) Plenty of signals, plenty of objects right down to the tiniest of sizes. But no amount of positivity is going to change those blank coins, bits of lead and tiny buttons into something worth keeping.

I've lost count of the number of times I've said, "now come on, be something decent" as I put the tip of the spade in the ground :(
figgis

DaveP wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:42 am If you can turn the 23rd button into a gold coin I'm all ears :) Plenty of signals, plenty of objects right down to the tiniest of sizes. But no amount of positivity is going to change those blank coins, bits of lead and tiny buttons into something worth keeping.
Absolutely - if it ain't there you ain't going to find it. I think the "positive attitude" can only really apply when there is something there but you miss it because for some reason you're really not into the session head-wise.
Steve_JT

I think its all about being in the right frame of mind, being there because you want to be, not because you can perhaps
Same as anything I guess from school, work and life in general if you’re not 100% in the right frame of mind the results are less than 100%

After a while if finds aren’t forthcoming the mind tends to go into negative mode and start to question should I be here or over there, am I swinging to high, did I interpret a signal wrong, am I using the right program etc etc, the day tends to be fruitless

The positive to take a way is to start fresh next time and not dwell on past bad performance, the very bottom line you have to walk over it to find it, you can’t miss what isn’t there

What tends to happen to me is when I look up from concentrating on what I’m doing to scan the area and have a look where I’m heading when swinging, a signal sounds and I’m back in the zone, perhaps concentrating too much and not relaxing and going with the flow blanks things out?

Just the ramblings of an old codger

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Bors

Quote John,..........." I think the "positive attitude" can only really apply when there is something there but you miss it because for some reason you're really not into the session head-wise.

Some times I can be detecting and as I`m swinging I can start to think about something that needs doing at home or something that has happened recently which has nothing to do with detecting and I`m in a sort of other world doing this "thinking" as I`m detecting. But as soon as I hear that "pos" sound , I snap out of it in a nano second and get back in to my detecting mode. So Its sort of like being distracted ,but as soon as the recognizable pos sound kicks in I`m on it straight away.
I too am more of a believer in " IF its there to be had in the first place" and "recognising the sound when its heard" is pretty much It. I think if some detectorists recognised their sounds more they`d have better luck, as you`d be surprised the targets that are dismissed unnecessarily through a bad judgement of the decision to investigate a target sound. I`m sure we`ve all done it at some time or other.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Easylife

Bors wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm I think if some detectorists recognised their sounds more they`d have better luck, as you`d be surprised the targets that are dismissed unnecessarily through a bad judgement.
Absolutely, it's like learning a new language, the results depend on how fluent you become. Sometimes I dig one way targets that only have a bit of something about them and they are usually deep non ferrous. Same goes for when you have ferrous and non- ferrous together, you just have to understand the reason for the response. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
DaveP

The day started at 6.30 baking home made sausage rolls - delivered hot to the folks at the yard. Then off to cut some dead trees which the memsahib wants to use for a sundial sculpture at school. Then visited not one but two garden centres and encouraged said memsahib to buy more plants. At 3.30 I thought "just time for an hour or so of swinging and surely, karma must be on my side". With the positive hub vibe sitting on my shoulder I hit the first target. A little faint but consistent two way and no hidden iron. Take out a spit and nothing - still in the hole. Dig a little deeper and it's out. Expectantly waft little handfuls of dirt across the coil and there it is in all its amazing glory - a 4 hole bloody button!!