Foiled again !

Kenleyboy

After a couple of aborted attempts at getting back out on the fields , I finally managed to sneak off a for a few hours this afternoon . Unfortunately it was bad timing as I was relegated to the one field which just so happened to be the most frustrating out of them all due to the amount of silver foil spread about . It certainly tests your patience but as the Farmer was working on the other fields then beggars cant be choosers and I would have to take my chances on what was availible .
I knew I was in for a bit of a frustrating few hours because the signals are plentiful and always sound so good but mostly end up being either ring pulls , silver foil and moo tubes however it can and does still throw up a few surprises but you really have to wade through all the rubbish to get the good stuff and it can be a little soul destroying .
This is generally what you will expect to dig up in this field and this is just a quarter of it , the rest residing at the bottom of my bag !
20210327_190306_resized[3931]bits of silver foil.jpg
No matter at least I was out and it wasnt too bad on the weather front , overcast with a little sunshine but till a little nip in the air to remind us that it certainly is not T-shirt weather yet .
A few hours in and with not a lot to show for my efforts , it was time for a cup of tea and a rest up before I put myself through anymore of those wretched teaser signals that you just have to dig because they sound so good and I wasnt ready to give up just yet .
As per usual the Buzzards graced the skies , this time in silence , in fact it seemed eerily quiet , not a sound to be heard which was always strange especially once the headphones have come off after hearing the chirp of the machine and then realising exacty how quiet the outside world really was at that moment , even the Rooks and Pheasants were silent .
Onwards , and leaving my now hefty bag by the edge of the field to act as a marker I once again set off on another punishing routine of silver foil and buttons . Just when you think all is lost you hit that signal and despite a slight change in tone you still arent completely convinced that it is a good target but this one fooled me well and there at last lay one of my favourite things to find , a tiny decorative Crotal Bell , at last , faith restored and a more jubilant mood takes over . This one is an inch in diameter and has what appears to be a makers mark of a hammer and puts it around the 17-18th century going by a google search . That find certainly made up for a bad run and if that is all I came away with then I was more than happy .
20210327_190223_resized[3930]crotal bell in the mud.jpg
Next signal was a good one but to bring me back down to earth was again the rolled up lump of dreaded foil and thereafter some more and a few buttons to try and make me feel better . Once again another good signal brought me back out of the doldrums with what appears to be a brooch minus the pin . Very decorative edge and looks to have the hallmarks of the medieval period although at first I thought maybe Georgian era but it just has that look of age that puts it a bit earlier .
20210327_201933_resized[3935]brooch.jpg
This was the last decent find I had but once again , certainly not complaining , waded through some more ring pulls and foil with that feint hope of yet another decent find but it was not meant to be but it was still a nice few hours out in the fresh air .
The final tally of bits and bobs .
20210327_201833[3932]cleaned finds.jpg
Easylife

Gee, what a lot of toot! A nice crotal bell but the cracking Medieval annular brooch saved the day. :thumbsup:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... id/1019536
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

That brooch is a stunner and the kind of find to make a day successful all by itself.
Kenleyboy

Easylife wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:25 am Gee, what a lot of toot! A nice crotal bell but the cracking Medieval annular brooch saved the day. :thumbsup:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... id/1019536
Brilliant ID Easylife , thanks for that :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

figgis wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:21 am That brooch is a stunner and the kind of find to make a day successful all by itself.
The Crotal Bell took the edge off a dismal day but the brooch was icing on the cake . :thumbsup:
Bors

A few well worth finding bonuses there Paul. :thumbsup:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
HolzHammer

Very nice indeed - well done!
In my trashier fields, which sound very similar to yours, I try to see it as more of a harder detecting challenge and that makes the frustration easier to deal with!
Dave The Slave

Good session, ,Paul.
Crotal bell and the Brooch made it worthwhile.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Reiver

Lovely brooch, well worth the pain and frustration.
Well found and well saved :thumbsup:
Reiver.
Bors

I don`t think I`ve ever found an Annular Brooch. :shock: :roll:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Saffron

Very well done, a lovely annular brooch and a complete crotal bell certainly makes up for all the hard work and frustration of the foil.

Evan