some good potential

Kenleyboy

Been away from the bottle digging for some time due to the lockdown rules but the thought of a heavy duty dig filled me with dread and it meant meeting up with someone for safety reasons which with the rules in place was not possible . Todays dig was quite by accident , in fact it wasnt meant to be a bottle dig but more of a permission for metal detecting on a 5 acre field courtesy from a customer . It was local too which helped and it was just down to me to go and have a look at the field .
I was pre warned that this field was grass and not ploughed and was cut twice a year for hay bailing which was a slight disappointment but a field is a field nonetheless and wasnt to be sniffed at especially with permissions being hard to come by . The other added bonus was an old quarry in a small wood on the fields edge also owned by the same landowner and it just so happened to have the hallmarks of a small out of village tip .
Google earth gave way to an ariel view and side by side maps helped plot the area and going by the early maps the quarry was in place and with quarries come tips and this ticked all the boxes especially as it was a small lane coming right out of the local village .
The Victorians were quite messy with regards to dumping their rubbish and they disposed of it on a regular basis , any hole , ditch pond or lake was fair game and also many river sections as well as canal systems , just locating them is half the problem but fun all the same .
It was now down to me to make the move and after a call to the landowner I was given leave to help myself to the field and have a walk about and just see for myself on whether the grass was too high to warrant swinging a coil over or a sniff about the quarry which I had been told was partly filled with water but dry most of the year . The very word Quarry conjures up all sorts of images , deep cavernous holes that would require the knowledge of a mountaineer to even think about clambering down , its the getting out that could be the problem but this quarry was very far removed from what the imagination conjures up . A lot of quarries are test pits and many were abandoned such as this one , a half hearted attempt to dig out the spoils and then realising that it didnt hold the booty as desired , left to fend for itself it duly fell to abandonment .
This is where in some cases tipping comes into it , the local village needed somewhere to throw out their rubbish , the local village council would meet with a landowner and a fee was discussed to allow part of the land for refuse , reading some of the old minutes in newspaper cuttings from the library makes interesting reading if looking for tips . The age of the newspaper gives way to age of the tip and so it goes on . Of course many tips are long gone but in rural areas many still survive , its just finding them which is half the battle and then of course getting permission to dig them out is another battle .
As suspected the grass was indeed far too long to warrant any metal detecting so I would have to wait a few months before I can get on it but it is a lucky opportunity , one that doesnt come our way that often and to hold my attention further was the small wooded quarry whch needed further investigation .
20210328_171213_resized[3946]spade and bottles.jpg
Not a bad little haul from a small area , plenty to go at and well hidden away from prying eyes . The first find was the ginger beer bottle , very common Norfolk bottle and turn up all over the county but I wasnt going to be upset about that . It is a very good sign that there is more to be found and it was shallow but the best surprise was the miniature Caleys ginger beer , part of a match striker but despite the dange the bottle itself is intact and will look good on the smally shelf .
I had to get back so time was short but all in a couple of hours gentle graft was enough for me to ease my way back into some digging . I shall return soon and hopefully this little untouched tip will give up the goodies .
Both bottles clean up and shows the size difference between the pair of them .
20210328_181351_resized[3947]caleys.jpg
figgis

Great stuff, Paul, and glad you've added another seemingly good site to the others. Love the local connection with the finds :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Maybe the one with the promised onion bottle? I hope so! Looks very promising!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking