The joy of buttons !

Kenleyboy

Loveley warm sunny day , longer evenings affording us much longer days , what better time to have a few hours back out on the land on such a bright late afternoon . Little did I know quite what I was letting myself into but its not always about the good finds which by percentage are far less than the good .
I had about two hours at my disposal and decided to go back to the same area where I had the annular brooch and crotal bell from . It is hardwork this field but previously in between lockdowns when we were afforded some time on the fields , I also had a nice cut quarter from the same patch . It is amazing what you miss and being ever hopeful I was sure there must be some more interesting items lurking beneath the soil so it seemed the best option for such a short session .
If you like finding buttons then its was a bountiful few hours and apart from the usual bits of foil , blobs of lead and yet more ring pulls my tally was a fistful of these .
20210331_105931_resized[3963]buttons.jpg
I am sure if I had a few more hours to spare then perhaps I may possibly have found something a little more interesting but it was not to be on this occaision . However , all was not lost and in amongst the pile of never ending tombac buttons I did manage this pretty little dress button , about the best find of the afternoon . This is only the second one I have ever found and both have been intact .
20210331_105811_resized[3962]tudor button 1.jpg
figgis

The "joy of buttons"... an oxymoron if ever I heard one :thumbsup:

Having said that, the little (Tudor?) button is a little blinder.
Dave The Slave

Nothing wrong with buttons, Paul.
The ornate open work button is very nice and similar to this;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/566544
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
DaveP

The open-work button is a n......., it's a n.........., it's a ni.........., oh damn it, it's a nice button - well done :thumbsup: Now I need to lie down.
alloverover

I dont mind finding buttons Kb, specially if there like the opnwork one, nice find is that :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

alloverover wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:36 pm I dont mind finding buttons Kb, specially if there like the opnwork one, nice find is that :thumbsup:
I totally agree , some buttons are really quite nice to find especially something like the openwork ones , nice and early . The frustrating ones are the plain tombacs especially when they fool you into thinking they are coins but when you find one with a little bit of decoration then its becomes a bit more special . :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Love the openwork button! Know the pain of the plain ones though- I had 7 yesterday too! My lead was a mixture of blobs and more darn musket balks - 8 of those :pulling hair out: Sounds like we had similar days, even hade a quarter too - but without the nice button :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Plain buttons are usually quite boring but the older decorated ones are preferred. A great little openwork one there. :thumbsup:
It's quite bad when a button has saved the day! :-?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Kenleyboy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:14 pm It is amazing what you miss and being ever hopeful I was sure there must be some more interesting items lurking beneath the soil.
That is just so true, all the more so when previously searched in less than optimum conditions or just randomly wandered. First time around clear all of the shallow and more obvious targets, second time with the distractions out of the way can just focus on the remaining deeper stuff. Well that's how it is on the pasture anyway! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

I don't mind finding buttons. Buttons = pockets and pouches = goodies :thumbsup: Unless you detect where I do. I say the historic locals were button rich, cash poor.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
DaveP

Some more joy for you all :D Came out this afternoon.

The ground is hard on anything coper based :thumbdown:
Attachments
IMG_2666.jpg
Steve_JT

If we were to put all our collective found buttons in one heap it would be quite a mound I'm sure, the title made me shiver, "joy" and "button" should not be in the same sentence...lol :lol:

They give such a good signal and can be quite a disappointment until one such as that open work one, what a nice button :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well found and saved

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein