A surprise quarter

Oxgirl

Went on a pasture field that tends to not give anything pre 1650. Loads of musket balls, one post medieval buckle, a poor condition William and Mary (only identifiable by the bronze plug) and lots of copper unidentifiable bits before this cut quarter reared it’s surprising head. I thought it was a bit of foil :lol:

Anyway hoping for an idea of the monarch if it’s possible? I know, but worth a go...
514D73DF-57FF-4016-8BA4-19DD9B11B6F4.jpeg
7DB64D7F-3A02-41BF-80D1-8FCACC8901EF.jpeg
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

For me, the key to IDing these quarters is to understand which way up the obverse goes, but I'm struggling with that. The legend has also been rather inconveniently clipped. The reverse ends ...E ON so I'll have a stab at Nicole (a fair guess, seeing as this seems to be the most common!)
Pete E

figgis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:24 pm For me, the key to IDing these quarters is to understand which way up the obverse goes, but I'm struggling with that. The legend has also been rather inconveniently clipped. The reverse ends ...E ON so I'll have a stab at Nicole (a fair guess, seeing as this seems to be the most common!)
Not knowing anything about cut quarters and even less about moneyers, I did have to Google "Nicole" as I suspected an April Fools joke...sorry to doubt you but I am always paranoid about stuff today! :D :D
shaggybfc

Of all the hammered coins I've found, I've never found a cut half or quarter, they've all been whole. I think I need to try harder. :thumbsup:
I haven't seen any April fools jokes on the forum..... not even a post from a Scouser, who'd bought a detector down the pub from a mate and was heading for a scheduled monument to try it out :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Saffron

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:47 pm Of all the hammered coins I've found, I've never found a cut half or quarter, they've all been whole. I think I need to try harder. :thumbsup:
I haven't seen any April fools jokes on the forum..... not even a post from a Scouser, who'd bought a detector down the pub from a mate and was heading for a scheduled monument to try it out :rollinglaughing: :rollinglaughing:
Well found Oxgirl, you are not doing a lot wrong if finding items that small. I really struggle to ID full coins so not even going to guess on this one.

Ditto here Shaggy, I have only found whole hammered coins - never a cut half or quarter. Even on organised digs they seem fairly infrequnetly compared with the number of whole coins.

As for April fools jokes, I nearly posted that I had found a Roman Silver Denarious in VGC. But with my record of finding (not!) Roman everybody would know it was a joke.

Evan