Bit of silver , the right stuff

Kenleyboy

Back out on the land again on this fine sunny Easter Sunday afternoon and this time back on my favourite field . The stubble now levelled and the surface raked off and soon to be drilled and finally I can really enjoy what this field has to offer . I have had some very nice finds from here over the seasons , most items being Medieval up to the Georgian era but never had any Roman which is odd considering the field next door produces the odd piece from time to time . I am sure there are some in here somewhere but I have yet to find it .
It is one of the smaller fields , about ten acres , nicely bordered with high hedgerows which are now sprouting their pink and white blossom and winter will see the Sparrowhawks picking off the Fieldfares that sit atop of the bare winter branches and after the feasting is over all that remains is a pile of feathers which are always dotted along the edge of the field in little random piles .

The Fieldfares are long gone , the early days of Summer are now with us and soon the fields will play host to the Swallows and House Martins swooping low and sometimes dangerously close as they feed in a frenzy on the insects just above the height of a swinging coil , they are impressive little agile birds and there are times I just stop detecting and just stand and marvel at the acrobatics as they screech and swoop past . I really enjoy this time of year , the dawn of Summer and being out on the land is a joy and today was no different .

I decided to stick with the hot programme , leave my bag of bits on the edge of the field , nice and light travelling and enjoy the walk across smoothed out soil and make the most of the few hours I had in front of me . This field does not seem to have so many irritating bits of foil although it does have its fair share of rubbish like any other field . Good signals with good results are few and far between but generally the finds are worth the effort . In some cases you can walk from one side of the field to the other and find nothing and then another lane will give way to a few decent signals and so on , the other fields strewn with foil gives a signal every other step and drives you insane !
Some of the trash after this afternoons session .
20210404_185034_resized[4011]rubbish.jpg
My first real decent find was this little key , I have had a few from this field and I always enjoy finding them . It was one of those jumpy two way signals but worth a dig and once out in amongst the spoil and the coil waved over to check it was out , the signal is so much crisper and full of confidence .
20210404_182340_resized[3982]key .jpg
Not a lot else was happening other than adding to the already growing pile of disheartening signals that proved to be rubbish but I was not complaining , it was refreshingly warm and I decided to take a break and have a bite to eat and a sit down with a cuppa from the flask . My chosen spot was the old dried out irrigation ditch , I could sit on the banks of this and enjoy the view . While enjoying my lunchbreak I was a bit startled to suddenly spot this Badgers sett barely a few feet away from me , how on earth I never saw it is beyond me , it was literally right in front of me and well dug out below into the bank of the ditch .
20210404_161731(0)_resized[3979]badger sett.jpg
Tea over and no Badgers making a grand entrance , it was time to get back out on the field and get on with the ever hopeful task in hand so off I set yet again . A couple of strides across the dry soil and then I hit a very feint whispy signal , very easy to ignore but I have learned some very valuable lessons , if in doubt dig it out ! I am glad that I did as I was duly rewarded with this fine looking silver Bullhead .
20210404_175201_resized[3980]bullhead clod.jpg
Tarnished within an inch of its life but despite being a little worn it was a first from this field and very welcomed , made my day finding that coin . I have had one before from here but on a different field , a lot better condition but I was not complaining and that first coin was well over tow years ago , they dont come up that often .
Despite having at least another generous hour or more I decided to have a couple more goes and then head for home , it had been a good few hours and I needed to have some energy in reserve for my evening dog walk . These were the final tally of finds , a couple of interesting pieces with some decoration .
20210404_184747_resized[3983]finds .jpg
A gentle clean of the tarnished bullhead , a little worn but welcomed none the less .
20210404_194700_resized[3984]cleaned bullhead.jpg
Pete E

Sounds like you had a good day...I think were all out enjoying that bit of sunshine!

Andy has just posted a video of him finding his first bullhead shilling, and I remarked what an elegant coin they are..I have only found a couple of George III silver's but they are one of my favourite coins...
Easylife

Always good to get silver, nice casket key. :thumbsup:
Experiencing nature is always a bonus. I also made the most of the better weather today before it turns. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Lovely finds. I want to say those flat decorated items are harness cheek pieces. Probably wrong but that is immediately what went through my brain. I’ll go look and see if I’m wrong (probably! :lol: )

Lovely write up as usual, enjoyed that :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 pm I want to say those flat decorated items are harness cheek pieces. Probably wrong but that is immediately what went through my brain. I’ll go look and see if I’m wrong (probably! :lol: )
Maybe a bit small and thin for that perhaps, though could be strap mounts or furniture fittings?
I wish more people here would have have a general guess like you and I do even if we are wrong as it all adds to the seeds of thought! :thumbsup:
figgis

Do like me a nice bullhead. Only ever found one and the amount of excitement caused was disproportionate. They're just a coin but there's something about them.

Immediate thought on the item bottom right was sword hanger fitting but that's probably a case of close but no coconut.
Kenleyboy

At a wild guess I would say the decorative flat pieces as suggested by Oxgirl are possibly horse related . Maybe decorative pieces attached to leather straps or similar , but thats a guess :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Good day out, Paul.
Dumb question time, are Bullhead`s a certain denomination ? I realise Bullhead refers to this particular portrait of George III.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:25 pm Dumb question time, are Bullhead`s a certain denomination ? I realise Bullhead refers to this particular portrait of George III.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Not a dumb question...they come in different denominations of silver but not sure about the copper coins though...I also read that the shillings were a common target for forgery as well..
figgis

I know there were bullhead half-crowns, shillings and tanners
Pete E

figgis wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:09 pm I know there were bullhead half-crowns, shillings and tanners
I have a bullhead tanner / six pence...IMHO they are a beautifully designed coin somehow "just right"...
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:02 pm I also read that the shillings were a common target for forgery as well.
They sure were, I have found about 10 bullhead shilling forgeries to about 3 real ones.