A toy day!

Easylife

For a change I decided to spend the afternoon in a field which I heavily detected a few years ago to the point that it was hard to find any more targets, but I felt that there should still be more to come and the Nox was the best man for the job. I must have swung a detector over the footpath at least a hundred times or more walking to and from my pasture fields so I don't usually bother anymore as it is generally unyielding.
But today I switched on beside the path and was greeted almost straight away with a little decimal halfpenny. Very close by I winkled my second target from amongst the iron, it was a 1916 George V silver shilling at 8" deep, so I was pleased with that rather positive start. The way I see it is that the more obvious shallower targets are now mostly out of the way so less distractions to concentrate on the previously less obvious deeper targets.
About two dozen bullocks were on the other side of the field and after about half an hour they could contain their curiosity no longer and came over to see what I was up to. Fortunately they were quite unimpressed with my finds so far and went to see if there was anything more interesting happening in the next field. I took a long slow walk in a straight line up the middle of the field to gauge what was left and only hit about six targets, one was a nice crotal bell fragment. At the top I hit a trashy patch containing quite a few chunky bits of lead pipe and gas light fittings from a house refurb, I don't mind the weighty scrap though as it quickly adds up to cash. An area towards a corner was more rewarding, let's just call it a toy corner! A Victorian toy whistle appeared and looks like it should work again once cleared of soil. A small lead horse then another of the frequent toy train wheels that show in these fields! Then a toy cannon, the barrel appears to have been cut down so I guess that it blew apart during use, as they often did! No health and safety back then in the 17th - 19th centuries.
IMG_20210405_134651.jpg
IMG_20210405_133321.jpg
On my return I took a straight line back down the field which only produced about three more targets, a teasing silver sixpence suddenly turned into a silvered button at the bottom of the hole!
IMG_20210405_134730.jpg
A deep target was yet another toy train wheel, another was a Henry Tate sugar sack seal dating to around 1900. Trivia alert! The Tate gallery was named after Henry Tate the sugar king, in 1889 he donated his collection of 65 contemporary paintings to the government on the condition that they be displayed in a suitable gallery, toward the construction of which he also donated £80,000 - that's the equivalent of about £7 million today!
There were also about 40 or 50 bits of scrap so the field is clearly not done by far. Of the other bits was a medieval mount.
IMG_20210405_120605.jpg
IMG_20210405_133355.jpg
Meet Mr Long legs! :lol:
IMG_20210405_134812.jpg
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Bors

I especially like finding the Toy cannons. :thumbsup:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Oxgirl

Never had a toy cannon and would be rather pleased if I did! Nice finds and lovely write up :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Ladybird66

Just proves what a great machine the NOX is. Either that or you’ve got better 😄
Great day out there, well done.
figgis

Dead jealous of that cannon. They seem to be common finds but I've never had the pleasure.
Easylife

figgis wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 am Dead jealous of that cannon. They seem to be common finds but I've never had the pleasure.
My favourite toy finds from this pasture permission have been cannons and guns. This is the second cannon but is very different from the first one. There have also been two small 1850's petronel style cap pistols.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.