to unfold or not to unfold....

HolzHammer

TerraBritannia wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:13 pm I'd leave it as is, perhaps look into why such coins were folded in half. There has to be a reason for it. :thumbsup:
The jury is out on that one...
HolzHammer

alloverover wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 pm I would leave it as it is, I reckon it was folded intentionally.

I had one like this a while ago and wish I had left it now, was an elesiastical one with the bishops mitre, wasnt a great coin when unfolded and had actually looked better folded. Oh well, you live and learn

Dont think there would be a lot to gain by unfolding it even if it went well, its not in the best of conditions :thumbsup:
I had a peek it’s better on the inside ... will now refold!
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:37 pm They are magical, the folded ones. Someone folded what was to them a lot of money at the time to save a loved one or some other important wish/ prayer/ hope. That’s really special.

I’ve never found a deliberately folded one, but I wouldn’t unfold it if I did. Marvel at what it represents rather than the physical coin :Luv Ya:
Thanks Cath, I’m really not sure this was done on purpose... it’s been badly done if so.... squeezed it open a smidge for I’d purposes will now put back...
HolzHammer

Allectus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:12 pm A deliberately folded(as above) early Short X - Henry II or Richard I. :thumbsup:
Thanks Allectus
Oxgirl

Steve RC wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:46 pm So as it is a deliberately modified coin that is no longer to be used as currency would it be classed as Treasure. ?
Gawd don’t go down that route :shock: No it’s still a coin and could be spent, although it would have been purposefully buried or discarded in some way.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Fisher 1266 X

I would leave it as it is. Here's a quote from the PAS site:

"Quite a number of medieval coins have also been found bent and pierced and these coins can tell us about ways in which people used coins in a more symbolic way. For instance, the bending of coins may be related to pilgrimage and promises to the saint. It is vital that we know such information, and shows that all medieval coins, regardless of condition, are important and should be recorded and studied."

Well found!
HolzHammer

Ok, sorry to the "don't unfold" side of the debate but I had a quick peek and then have closed the coin again so hopefully everyone happy - As a superstitious person I also prefer to leave but my curiosity got the better of me... and at least I got the dirt out before re-sealing! Here are the photos of the inside...
Hope all well
Alexander
Attachments
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg