Nox 600 - a recent experience

DaveP

Just thought I would pass this on in case it ever affects anyone else.
I've been trying some popular settings to see if I could get more out of the Nox. After a couple of hours searching and always in All Metal and GB'd (keep in mind these fields don't produce much and never did with the T2 (wish I'd kept that) I noticed I hadn't found anything deeper than about 3" (except large iron). Hmm - that can't be right. So next target - a small but fat button again about 3". Dug the hole down to about 7", dropped in the button and tried the Nox - nothing, not even a squeak. Switched from F1 to F2 and then P1 and P2 but nothing at all. Tried changing some settings but no luck.
Did a factory reset and back in to F1 with factory settings, noise and GB'd, and it was if the machine had just been switched on anew and the ground came alive. Now the button in the hole gave a passable signal.
I'm not entirely sure what had happened but I've found another post in the US with similar problems.

I know we could discuss settings all day but the real clue was no averagely deep or deep targets (except large deep iron). Thought I would pass it on and now I've got to go over the same boring ground again :thumbdown:
Bors

I know there will be some that say "no way" ,but I have to say I never dig Iron . With the right settings put in and knowing the sounds that give indication its iron you`ll be hard pressed to dig any Iron. :thumbsup: .
If you have your settings in your (SAVED niche) with the KHZ in 10khz for checking ,that will also pretty much tell you if its Iron or not if your still undecided.
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Easylife

It sounds like the sensitivity was turned right down?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
DaveP

Easylife wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm It sounds like the sensitivity was turned right down?
I'm always above 20 - checked that at the time to make sure. I really don't know what was going on and there was nothing obvious in the settings but a reset seemed to give an immediate fix. Just one of life's mysteries.
DaveP

Bors wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:58 pm I know there will be some that say "no way" ,but I have to say I never dig Iron . With the right settings put in and knowing the sounds that give indication its iron you`ll be hard pressed to dig any Iron. :thumbsup: .
If you have your settings in your (SAVED niche) with the KHZ in 10khz for checking ,that will also pretty much tell you if its Iron or not if your still undecided.
Not sure where you're going with that one Bors but there's always the bit of large iron that needs some investigation - a nice Lizzie sixpence sitting next to an excavator point saved one day. If I had gone for just the iron the Lizzie would still be in the ground but there was just a bit more to the signal.
The iron signals that annoy me are the cartridge primers or some galvanised horse-shoe nails - just enough iron to say no, just enough non-ferrous to say "come on, you know you want to". I don't have a problem identifying iron, it's just a question of whether it peeks my curiosity.

The problem I had was the only thing that even registered below about 3" was large iron.
Easylife

DaveP wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:28 pm I noticed I hadn't found anything deeper than about 3".
I have the opposite trouble all my targets are very deep. I wonder if a factory reset would save some digging? :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Bors

DaveP wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:19 pm Not sure where you're going with that one Bors but there's always the bit of large iron that needs some investigation - a nice Lizzie sixpence sitting next to an excavator point saved one day. If I had gone for just the iron the Lizzie would still be in the ground but there was just a bit more to the signal.
The iron signals that annoy me are the cartridge primers or some galvanised horse-shoe nails - just enough iron to say no, just enough non-ferrous to say "come on, you know you want to". I don't have a problem identifying iron, it's just a question of whether it peeks my curiosity.

But if your settings are set to counter that ,such as a fast recovery speed and or switching over to 10 khz there`s all the information then given to tell you IF its Iron .So this is why I don`t dig any Iron when I detect , as the detector virtually tells you the targets Iron or not so you don`t have to dig to find out .. :D
Switching over to 10khz Is a tip I picked up from Gordon Heritage . :thumbsup:
DaveP

Bors wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:13 pm
Switching over to 10khz Is a tip I picked up from Gordon Heritage . :thumbsup:
Should have stuck with the T2 at 13khz - but at least I can wash the Nox in the shower :thumbsup:
Bors

Quote DaveP..............................." but at least I can wash with the Nox in the shower"

Not the same time as you have one I hope :lol:
Batman

DaveP wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:28 pm Just thought I would pass this on in case it ever affects anyone else.
I've been trying some popular settings to see if I could get more out of the Nox. After a couple of hours searching and always in All Metal and GB'd (keep in mind these fields don't produce much and never did with the T2 (wish I'd kept that) I noticed I hadn't found anything deeper than about 3" (except large iron). Hmm - that can't be right. So next target - a small but fat button again about 3". Dug the hole down to about 7", dropped in the button and tried the Nox - nothing, not even a squeak. Switched from F1 to F2 and then P1 and P2 but nothing at all. Tried changing some settings but no luck.
Did a factory reset and back in to F1 with factory settings, noise and GB'd, and it was if the machine had just been switched on anew and the ground came alive. Now the button in the hole gave a passable signal.
I'm not entirely sure what had happened but I've found another post in the US with similar problems.

I know we could discuss settings all day but the real clue was no averagely deep or deep targets (except large deep iron). Thought I would pass it on and now I've got to go over the same boring ground again :thumbdown:
Had mine a month mate and can totally relate to your comments, I don't feel like I'm finding stuff beyond 4-6"
DaveP

Batman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:02 am Had mine a month mate and can totally relate to your comments, I don't feel like I'm finding stuff beyond 4-6"
I think you have to do a depth test with known targets. If you aren't finding what you know to be there try a reset and leave it on factory settings. If that doesn't work then maybe a warranty return. My 600 routinely picks up stuff well beyond the length of my pinpointer so you shouldn't have a problem if the targets are there. Maybe it's just the nature of the field.
Littleboot

Then you set it up wrong or got a wrong 'un. I have a 600 and regularly dig targets that are deep. Small items too. The detectorist mindset over kit really bugs me sometimes. A couple of years ago it was the all-singing all-dancing Nox. It was a 'hoover' apparently. :roll: :D Everyone and his dog wanted to swap over to it as suddenly they would find stuff. (Well, no. Not if it isn't beeping there. :lol: ) Now another new kid is on the block and suddenly there is a new 'hoover' which is going to fix it. Sorry, this isn't personal to the respondent above. Just a general observation.
I tend to stick with a detector for a long time. Had my GMP for years, for example. Then bought a Nox 600 secondhand. Every so often I have a fallow period when I don't find much. It isn't anything a change of machine will solve. I can understand that some people don't get along with a machine. (Though i have to say the Nox is the most user-friendly detecting partner I have ever experienced.) But to suggest the Nox is somehow limited to under 6 inches depth wise is just plain inaccurate and a bit daft TBH.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
fred

Littleboot wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:41 am Then you set it up wrong or got a wrong 'un. I have a 600 and regularly dig targets that are deep. Small items too. The detectorist mindset over kit really bugs me sometimes. A couple of years ago it was the all-singing all-dancing Nox. It was a 'hoover' apparently. :roll: :D Everyone and his dog wanted to swap over to it as suddenly they would find stuff. (Well, no. Not if it isn't beeping there. :lol: ) Now another new kid is on the block and suddenly there is a new 'hoover' which is going to fix it. Sorry, this isn't personal to the respondent above. Just a general observation.
I tend to stick with a detector for a long time. Had my GMP for years, for example. Then bought a Nox 600 secondhand. Every so often I have a fallow period when I don't find much. It isn't anything a change of machine will solve. I can understand that some people don't get along with a machine. (Though i have to say the Nox is the most user-friendly detecting partner I have ever experienced.) But to suggest the Nox is somehow limited to under 6 inches depth wise is just plain inaccurate and a bit daft TBH.

I well remember all the angst! :D