Cracking Echinoid!!!!!

HolzHammer

Morning All,
Had a bit of an odd day yesterday; I hit an area where I must've found between 40 and 50 musket balls but I'll post about that later!
Anyway, I did find this which is absolutely made my day – I don't often find echinoids in this condition and of this quality of stone. It's about 5 cm wide.

I hope you all have a good weekend especially if you're out in the field! Take a sharp spade!
All the best
Alexander
Attachments
AVW_3402.jpeg
Kenleyboy

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:06 am Morning All,
Had a bit of an odd day yesterday; I hit an area where I must've found between 40 and 50 musket balls but I'll post about that later!
Anyway, I did find this which is absolutely made my day – I don't often find echinoids in this condition and of this quality of stone. It's about 5 cm wide.

I hope you all have a good weekend especially if you're out in the field! Take a sharp spade!
All the best
Alexander
Love finding echinoids , quite a few up here and almost as common as buttons :lol: That one is a very nice example , well spotted .
Bors

We find absolutely none around my way . :roll:
It must be the earth contents not in their favour when they were solidified or they just weren't around here . But whatever the reason I`ve never come across one . Seen plenty of small fossils embedded in Limestone rocks but never one of those .
I have just been reading up on them and they were sea bed dwellers (sea urchins)so little chance of finding any in areas well above Sea Level I should imagine. :D
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Oxgirl

That’s an absolute stunner! I know they are found in the fields in the village but I’ve only had a pretty poor example so far. I’d be delighted with that one :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

That is a cracker. There was one of similar quality in a flint wall at the flats we grew up in. I say "was" as it was (a) in the past and (b) I nicked it when I moved out :lol:
HolzHammer

Kenleyboy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 am Love finding echinoids , quite a few up here and almost as common as buttons :lol: That one is a very nice example , well spotted .
I too have found a few(!) over the years but rarely like this mine are usually quite rough and flinty/chalky....
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:13 pm That is a cracker. There was one of similar quality in a flint wall at the flats we grew up in. I say "was" as it was (a) in the past and (b) I nicked it when I moved out :lol:
😂
HolzHammer

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 pm That’s an absolute stunner! I know they are found in the fields in the village but I’ve only had a pretty poor example so far. I’d be delighted with that one :thumbsup:
its hard to appreciate how smooth it is... I found this one in Herts and they come out like that there... just not many to be found but where I live in Hants they are all over the place but very rough and flinty,- still nice to find but this one is rather special!
HolzHammer

Bors wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:34 am We find absolutely none around my way . :roll:
It must be the earth contents not in their favour when they were solidified or they just weren't around here . But whatever the reason I`ve never come across one . Seen plenty of small fossils embedded in Limestone rocks but never one of those .
I have just been reading up on them and they were sea bed dwellers (sea urchins)so little chance of finding any in areas well above Sea Level I should imagine. :D
hmmm not sure - I suspect the British Isles was mostly under the sea at some point esp the mountainous (fold) ranges... don't quote me on that!!!!
Ladybird66

That really is a beauty, best I’ve seen out-side if a museum. Well found.
DaveP

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:59 pm hmmm not sure - I suspect the British Isles was mostly under the sea at some point esp the mountainous (fold) ranges... don't quote me on that!!!!
Wales was underwater at one point. Mind you, England was at around 60 degrees South of the equator at one point so what you see today isn't what it was. The North Wales mountains, if I remember right, are mainly igneous rocks pushed up to give the mountains. Even if there are areas of limestone they may not have had the right conditions for good fossil formation.
Many of the echinoids are made of flint and you often find loads of flint nodules in chalk. Think of the sea urchin as a mould. It dies and leaves its shell (test) which gets surrounded by material that will eventually, under pressure, become chalk. Flint starts out as a liquid so fills the inside of the test. It then solidifies to give a cast of the inside of the urchin. In some places you'll find the test still in place. As the fossil echinoid is released from the chalk the test will wear away leaving the perfect cast of the inside.
Keep in mind much of the surface material in this country was shifted around during the ice age. An echinoid in Herts may be in the right place or maybe many miles from where it started as a fossil. in contrast, we have plenty of chalk and big flint nodules a mile or so from here but not a decent fossil in sight! But the flint was used for some nice stone tools.

If you post a picture of the underside + size I can get a species ID and age for you if you want.
Blackadder43

Thats a really Cool find....look excellent on your desk :thumbsup: