A waking field!

Easylife

I had an afternoon on the pasture field that has only really produced an air pistol and an Elizabeth I three pence as although it initially seemed pretty quiet there just had to be more stuff there. So I decided to grid an area just below where I had previously found the hammered and a steady enough flow of assorted bits began to emerge. Soon enough the first bit of silver appeared, a funnel shaped item hallmarked 1913, perhaps from a baton as it had some timber residue inside? There was an early livery button depicting a squirrel eating an acorn. A George IV farthing, a 1928 George V halfpenny with an extra bit of metal on it, a George II farthing, and a George III shilling forgery.
An interesting looking badge was of the 'Amalgamated society of wheelwrights, smiths and motor body makers' so I guessed early 1900's and it actually dates 1908 - 1921.
IMG_20210418_110648.jpg
After a few hours I got bored of gridding so had a wander across the field and was soon staring down at gold in the clod. At first glance it appeared that I had found a gold watch, though on further inspection it proved to be just a 1990's plated item.
IMG_20210417_125343.jpg
Some other finds included two finger rings and then a second silver came as a 1940 sixpence, well only half silver!
IMG_20210418_110742.jpg
It looks like it's going to be another fun field with some promise!
Pete E

Easylife wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:10 pm I had an afternoon on the pasture field that has only really produced an air pistol and an Elizabeth I three pence as although it initially seemed pretty quiet there just had to be more stuff there. So I decided to grid an area just below where I had previously found the hammered and a steady enough flow of assorted bits began to emerge. Soon enough the first bit of silver appeared, a funnel shaped item hallmarked 1913, perhaps from a baton as it had some timber residue inside? There was an early livery button depicting a squirrel eating an acorn. A George IV farthing, a 1928 George V halfpenny with an extra bit of metal on it, a George II farthing, and a George III shilling forgery.
An interesting looking badge was of the 'Amalgamated society of wheelwrights, smiths and motor body makers' so I guessed early 1900's and it actually dates 1908 - 1921.
IMG_20210418_110648.jpg
After a few hours I got bored of gridding so had a wander across the field and was soon staring down at gold in the clod. At first glance it appeared that I had found a gold watch, though on further inspection it proved to be just a 1990's plated item.
IMG_20210417_125343.jpg
Some other finds included two finger rings and then a second silver came as a 1940 sixpence, well only half silver!
IMG_20210418_110742.jpg
It looks like it's going to be another fun field with some promise!
Looks like a good afternoon and as you say, a promising field...

When you grid like this, what sort of area do you cover? Do you keep track of each gridded square you've done on a GPS???
Easylife

Pete E wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:07 pm When you grid like this, what sort of area do you cover? Do you keep track of each gridded square you've done on a GPS?
I always use GPS tracking whether random wandering or gridding as it shows at a simple glance any areas I have not searched thoroughly and easy to quite precisely locate anywhere again. I just use some sticks as a guide and move them each row so as not to miss any gaps. Every so often I transfer my data to Google Earth which is really the best way to view them. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Good selection of finds.
Particularly like the Midland Railway Button, Notts Miners Token and the Society of Wheelwrights badge. What i call Social History finds, rather than Monetary.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Looking promising :thumbsup:

You got bored after a few hours' gridding? I do after a few minutes and don't do it much any more
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:18 pm Looking promising :thumbsup:

You got bored after a few hours' gridding? I do after a few minutes and don't do it much any more
I'm the same! But that's why Easy is a more successful artiste! Sorry John I didn't mean more successful than you as well as me... ( though probably!) 😁
figgis

HolzHammer wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:27 pm Sorry John I didn't mean more successful than you as well as me... ( though probably!) 😁
:lol: :thumbsup:

There's no doubt that thorough gridding with good technique will drag stuff out of fields which wandering aimlessly will miss. That's certain. All the while my finds rate is high I'll avoid gridding, but once they calm down then I'll bite the bullet and do it. It has worked for me in the past - it just drives me batty :pulling hair out:
HolzHammer

figgis wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm :lol: :thumbsup:

There's no doubt that thorough gridding with good technique will drag stuff out of fields which wandering aimlessly will miss. That's certain. All the while my finds rate is high I'll avoid gridding, but once they calm down then I'll bite the bullet and do it. It has worked for me in the past - it just drives me batty :pulling hair out:
I can't add anything to that! My thoughts PRECISELY. Hope all well and "Up Yours!" ( A well wishing salutation they use round my way!)
Bors

Gridding`s great, if the stuffs there in the first place to be had ,but when little or nothing turns up, it gets pretty mind destroying and you end up thinking " that was a waste of an hour of my life." :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Easylife

Well the pasture is very unlikely to ever get ploughed again so when the targets are gone they're gone! In areas where more targets are expected to be then gridding really does pay off. In areas where you are just hopeful it will find a few more bits but maybe not really worth the effort. Where there are barely any targets I would not grid at all unless I had good reason to.
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:53 pm Good selection of finds.
Particularly like the Midland Railway Button, Notts Miners Token and the Society of Wheelwrights badge. What i call Social History finds, rather than Monetary.
It's mostly social history finds on here which often lead to much enjoyable research. :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

That funnel shaped thing, is that one of those Victorian pencil sharpeners?
I have a couple of those from way back when from a field that was at the back of my house then

Nice few hours though by the looks :thumbsup:
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: ↑Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:06 pm That funnel shaped thing, is that one of those Victorian pencil sharpeners?
No, but coincidentally a pencil does only just fit in as I used one to better straighten it out. I'll post it up for ID with better info. :thumbsup: