What Do You Take Detecting?

Pete E

I see lots of folks wearing backpacks while detecting, and it got me wondering what people take along with them? Obviously everybody's circumstances will be different, so what suits one person may not suit another..

I detect fairly local to my house for the most part, and I can usually park my vehicle reasonably near my detecting spot so don't tend to carry a lot of kit on me but do have stuff in the car if I need it...

I don't use a backpack, but have a belt and shoulder straps to hold my finds pouch on one side, with hand trowel in a homemade sheath, and my pinpointer on the other...Personally I like to spread the weight out around my waist rather than carry everything in my finds pouch...In the pouch, I have the usually small finds box, a small brush and a sprayer if water plus a spare 9v battery for my pinpointer..

Very often I will also have half a hand towel hanging on my belt to combat the terrible thick mud we get around here..

Other than that, I have a small water bottle pouch at the rear to carry lunch and a drink to save return to my car...

I anticipate this set up will also work as a swing harness, but have not tried it yet, but will probably give it ago when I get a 15" coil for the Nox..

In my car have a few items I might carry "just in case" but rarely use such as a first aid kit and torch ect, but the one thing I have which has been a real boon is one of those cheap 99p rubber car mats I keep in the boot. That get put on the ground and gives me somewhere dry/clean to stand when changing out of my wellies or boots...

I also keep a spare mini spade and garden trowel "just in case".....so far they have only been used by other people on club digs, but I know my turn will come!
Bors

I carry the utmost bare minimum and only carry what I NEED to carry , the rest of things I might need stay in the boot of the Car. I don`t carry any backpacks & I travel as light as possible while detecting. it`s far more comfortable than humping tons of accessories & Bits N bobs about
as I don`t believe in imitating a Pack- mule :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
shaggybfc

In the car - lots of kit - probably far too much. In the field - operate light - these days, I need to give the back a fighting chance of lasting a session
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

I carry very little with me as I prefer to travel light .I have a small anglers shoulder bag with a few essentials and as I tend to stay in one area I leave the bag on the edge of the field which enables me to walkabout without too many things draping off me , the lighter the better .
Dave The Slave

Spade and detector .
Shoulder bag, with spare batteries, pen, camera, copy of agreement to search and polybags.
Flask and snack kept in car for end of session.
Sometimes carry water in bag if warmer.
Light as possible.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

I've tried and fine tuned a few set ups to see what best suits and worn out two finds bags. Apart from a finds bag I used to use a bum bag for a water bottle, snacks and spare pinpointer battery.
Then I got a light hydration back pack mainly for summer use and fitted a harness D ring to suspend the Nox and 15" coil on a homemade bungee, it works really well. But in winter I just use a water bottle but it is not so convenient to get out of the pack without taking it off.
As an alternative to the hydration pack and finds bag I'm about to try out using a Pattern 58 double pouch with belt and shoulder strap with an added bungee suspension point. The first pouch for finds, separated as scrap and keepers. In the second pouch a water bottle, spare pinpointer battery, some finds bags, and occasionally some markers for gridding. I also carry a bit of wire for poking soil out of finds (It's really one of my long gone Grandma's small knitting needles) and a small stiff brush as it's better to remove the soil before it dries out as I barely ever use water to clean finds at all. I never carry a trowel as my spade does the same job. Any set up needs to be comfortable and convenient, whatever works best for you. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Normally I take the bare minimum but today I took even less than that, having left my finds bag (with pinpointer attached) at home :evil:
Bors

figgis wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:46 pm Normally I take the bare minimum but today I took even less than that, having left my finds bag (with pinpointer attached) at home :evil:
It must be catching ! :lol:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 ................ " Went to the back of my Car to my gear, and low and behold I`d left my Equinox headphones at home !! "
shaggybfc

Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Pete E

Went out around mid day for a couple of hours, but it was just too hot...Think I need to add a hydration bladder to the list! lol
DaveP

I take a large bag filled with hope and anticipation and leave reality in the car!
Oxgirl

shaggybfc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:48 pm https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/
;) ;)
That proper made me laugh!

I am now moving to summer kit.

On belt -
Small pouch containing finds box and child sized quality trowel plus phone,
Leather holster with pinpointer

Plus water bottle left on side of field.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bors

Oxgirl wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:38 pm That proper made me laugh!

I am now moving to summer kit.

On belt -
Small pouch containing finds box and child sized quality trowel plus phone,
Leather holster with pinpointer

Plus water bottle left on side of field.
And you forgot ! pink Floppy Hat as well. :lol:
Oxgirl

Bors wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:17 pm And you forgot ! pink Floppy Hat as well. :lol:
Chic Italian straw hat actually :lol: :Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
aleksandr

On me - Obvs detector and spade. Bum bag with phone, fags and 'detecting sweets' (usually fruity Mentos) and my pinpointer/holder attached. It has several pockets - one for 'nice' finds and a MUCH bigger one for tat! :lol:
I usually have a drink and a snack in the car (although yesterday's drink was warmer than I have me brew by the time I'd finished digging!) :sick: